• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My visit to Loake

umbrella613

Reaction score
Thanks for the post!

Anyone know of any stores in NYC-area that sells Loakes? Quick Google search turned up one place (Carson Street Clothiers), but they have a very small selection...

Thanks!

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^
I've heard they run a little wide. Is there anything to that?

I might just be in luck on the sizing for the Capital last, based on your review. I own a pair of 5-last AEs in 8.5 D, but they're a touch long (fine at the ball of the foot, loose at the heel) -- I think an 8E would be better for me. That might just mean the sizing will work out the same for me as it does for you, n'est pas?

topos

Reaction score
^^
I've heard they run a little wide. Is there anything to that?

I might just be in luck on the sizing for the Capital last, based on your review. I own a pair of 5-last AEs in 8.5 D, but they're a touch long (fine at the ball of the foot, loose at the heel) -- I think an 8E would be better for me. That might just mean the sizing will work out the same for me as it does for you, n'est pas?

I've found the Capital last to be close to an E width in AE. I only own a single pair, mind you. I wear 10.5 E in the 5 last and 10.5 E in the 2 last and 9.5 in the Capital last for Loake is perfect for me (I think they come in a single width, which they call F. I have the Pimilco chukka). Maybe we are in an analogous situation, since an 11D in AE 5 last is a bit too long for me (but width-wise it is pretty good), but 10.5 D is a bit too narrow. All that said I'm not crazy about the way the AE 5-last fits my foot; I much prefer the fit of my Loakes.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the post!

Anyone know of any stores in NYC-area that sells Loakes? Quick Google search turned up one place (Carson Street Clothiers), but they have a very small selection...

Thanks!

Brooks brothers sell rebranded Loakes. Decent value during corp/f&f sales.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the Loake's standard width is F, which is equivalent to US D. But I do find it more comparable to US E. But trust me, you rather have a shoe with a bit of room than too tight.

I hear you on that one, but Loakes would be enough of a purchase that I'd want them to be 100%

othertravel, do you know how to spot the BB Loakes? I thought all the Peal & Co shoes were C&J.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I hear you on that one, but Loakes would be enough of a purchase that I'd want them to be 100%

othertravel, do you know how to spot the BB Loakes? I thought all the Peal & Co shoes were C&J.

Definitely not all C&J.

This is Loake:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...dwvar_161H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=58&cgid=0522

C&J:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Peal-...var_MH00194_Color=BRWN&contentpos=5&cgid=0522

You can tell the difference by looking at the font on "Peal & Co". The Loake shoes have an elongated font, whereas the C&J font is small and squarish (credit to Steve Smith for identifying this).

umbrella613

Reaction score

Loake's lasts are very true to size compare to other UK makers, so online is not a hard way.

Right, and the posts above (and Loake's prices) have convinced me to risk buying without trying on first!

It would be awesome to buy directly from their site's selection, but "We are unable to offer overseas deliveries at this time".

umbrella613

Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to see Loake getting their due. They also have a brogue featured in the new issue of Free & Easy magazine in Japan and seem to be being sold in some 'cool' shops here, so maybe it's their turn to get hyped like Tricker's. Everyone goes crazy over Tricker's brogue boots (especially on the other side of this forum) and yet the brogue boots in the Loake 1880 range are every bit as nice IMHO, and certainly a lot cheaper.

Isbister

Reaction score
Loake make some very good shoes - certainly in the 1880 line, and a few of the others are good too. I have various Loake brogues and particularly like the toe shape. Arguably not as elegant as say Crockett & Jones, but probably just as well made and much better value for money.

They also make some dross however - too much corrected grain, and some shoes are not made in Kettering at all but in India. Nothing necessarily wrong with that I suppose, but it seems to be playing rather fast and loose with notions of tradition.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads