• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Denim 101 for Men's Clothing

emc894

Reaction score
I'll throw my hat in for RRL. I have the low straight model and it is a great, all around jean. I have been wearing it about 3-4 times a week since December and I washed them once (after dusty trip to Tanzania) and I am just starting to see signs of wear. These will last longer than any girlfriend I've had.

That said, I'm on the lookout for a lighter weight pair for summer. Any ideas?

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So I stopped by Barney's COOP and tried a bunch of jeans on and narrowed it down to two, rag & bone rb15x & J Brand Kane raw indigo.
I ended up going with J Brand as the fit was better, albeit a little tight. SA said it should expand an inch or so.

The size 30 I ended up picking up has a waist of 34", 10" rise and 11.5" thigh, how much strech can I expect out of them?
Will they also shrink in length, I haven't yet to get them hemmed.

They are quite tight so if they aren't going to strech much, I'll probably exchange for the R&B or get the next size up.

Try the J Brand in raw indigo selvage. The color isn't quite as dark, and a little more complex, and they are a little more expensive, however they are a bit wider in the leg (in spite of being the same cut):

http://www.parkandbond.com/product/99852610

I felt the same about the regular indigo Kane but these fit perfectly.

MJP2448

Reaction score
I think he means Rock and Republic. Don't listen to him. If you like Rock and Republics you have problems. Trust me about Baldwin's. They have a great fit.

Last edited:

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think he means Rock and Republic. Don't listen to him. If you like Rock and Republics you have problems. Trust the denim expert, myself, about Baldwin's. They have the best fit. I know more about denim than anyone on this pretentious forum.

Actually I meant double r..... not rock republic.

I do see you are trolling hard. It's pretty obvious, be more creative and you'd be more believable.

Last edited:

MJP2448

Reaction score
Actually I meant double r..... not rock republic.

I do see you are trolling hard. It's pretty obvious, be more creative and you'd be more believable.
Dude, I didn't mean to troll you. I was trying to spare that dude from wearing Rock and Republics or Rock and Revival. Don't you think there should be punishment if you wear those jeans? Just sayin. I apologize if I made you feel as though I was being douchey. I'm really not, but sometimes I come off that way. Do you mean Ralph Lauren or just Ralph? Where do you get those?

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dude, I didn't mean to troll you. I was trying to spare that dude from wearing Rock and Republics or Rock and Revival. Don't you think there should be punishment if you wear those jeans? Just sayin. I apologize if I made you feel as though I was being douchey. I'm really not, but sometimes I come off that way. Do you mean Ralph Lauren or just Ralph? Where do you get those?
Not sure if serious (because of your location).

But if you are, I am talking about to Ralph's line - RR as in double R... It's a western/vintage themed line. It's really really cool stuff if you are into tactile/worn looks.

Go to the top floor of the Ralph store on Madison Ave in NYC.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hey buddy, typo I meant double r as in Ralph.

Gotcha, thanks. I was thinking Rock and Republic at first too, lol. In fact, my first thought was "ok, this guy has no idea what he's talking about and just happened to get lucky with the others he recommended" :p. And while not all of those on your list are my personal taste (have several Kane, really like those but NF hasn't ever fit me well and PRPS just isn't my style) they're definitely solid choices.

Frankie22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Gotcha, thanks. I was thinking Rock and Republic at first too, lol. In fact, my first thought was "ok, this guy has no idea what he's talking about and just happened to get lucky with the others he recommended"
tongue.gif
. And while not all of those on your list are my personal taste (have several Kane, really like those but NF hasn't ever fit me well and PRPS just isn't my style) they're definitely solid choices.
Totally, the aim was to give you one representation of each. Naked and Famous does not fit me either, included just in case you afre a slim guy!
I love my Kanes and my double r's. Infact, I have several pairs of RLBL jeans I love, bought on deal of course.

Last edited:

TimelesStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Totally, the aim was to give you one representation of each. Naked and Famous does not fit me either, included just in case you afre a slim guy!
I love my Kanes and my double r's. Infact, I have several pairs of RLBL jeans I love, bought on deal of course.

Yea, I really wish NF fit me too or that they made the Slim Guy in a few more of the "regular" denims. However most of the interesting ones are either Skinny Guy or Weird Guy, with the former fitting me like leggings and the latter having such a low rise I don't even have to undo the front to take a leak, lol. RRL have always looked nice too, I've just not tried them on yet. There are only a few of them I think I could wear with a sport coat/dress shoe on account of the stitching most have on the back pockets (but I think there are one or two w/o that).

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've used quite some time on finding a pair of jeans that would fit my thighs after years of lifting, but still have a decent amount of rise and some taper; Levi's 508 fitted perfectly and I highly recommend it to those with unormal thigh/waist-ratio. Be aware that they are a bit vanity sized, so I would advice to drop one size in the waist.

ohdannyboy

Reaction score
I'm looking at the RRL Low Straight Rigid Denim jeans, and I was just hoping to (a) confirm that it's raw denim - certainly the descriptions read like it is, but I'm far from an expert, and (b) ask if anybody has a good sizing chart for these anywhere - I have done quite a bit of searching and can't seem to fine one

Thanks!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics