• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: Castangia from SARTORIALE

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction is for a Castangia Suit or Sportcoat from SARTORIALE Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Demise of the 7-fold

Felix Krull

Reaction score
While I was meandering through Dillards, to my shock and dismay, I noticed that they are now selling 7-fold ties there under the Daniel Cremieux label. To add insult to injury, they had many of them marked down 50% off from the original $120 price point.

One of the best kept secrets in all of men's fashion is now readily available to any college student willing to plunk down $60 for their big day at the career fair. I felt like I was going to be sick. Five years ago, the only two makers of 7-folds that were readily available were from Kiton or R. Talbott. Not anymore, now you can go to Dillards and get one!

I take solace in the fact that they haven't yet besmirched the exclusivity of the 9-fold, of which I proudly own several from the Private Stock label. Alas, it is only a matter of time until that too can be found at K-Mart during their blue light special.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
7-folds are lost on me. I have a couple because I liked the material and pattern, but not because they were "7's".

Overrated, IMHO.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Felix Krull
While I was meandering through Dillards, to my shock and dismay, I noticed that they are now selling 7-fold ties there under the Daniel Cremieux label. To add insult to injury, they had many of them marked down 50% off from the original $120 price point.

One of the best kept secrets in all of men's fashion is now readily available to any college student willing to plunk down $60 for their big day at the career fair. I felt like I was going to be sick. Five years ago, the only two makers of 7-folds that were readily available were from Kiton or R. Talbott. Not anymore, now you can go to Dillards and get one!

I take solace in the fact that they haven't yet besmirched the exclusivity of the 9-fold, of which I proudly own several from the Private Stock label. Alas, it is only a matter of time until that too can be found at K-Mart during their blue light special.

Most college students aren't going to pluck down $60 for a half off tie. They'll buy the Tommy Hilfiger or something cheap because that's what I did. My splurge ties were Polo. Also the Cremuix items that I've owned I've had good luck with. IMO it's the best private label brand currently offered. Their suits are made by HSM, and they will be offering a a suit in the $1,200 price range that will be canvassed. I'll be curius to see these when they are in.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
An unlined seven can have a suppleness that is difficult to match in a standard lined three.

Lined six folds are all over the map, but the nicest ones are nearly as supple as a good seven but retain the shape preservation properties of a lined tie.

I'm trying to think of who makes true unlined sevens...Talbott (can be spectacularly fugly), Rubinacci, Arny's, Attolini (by whom, I do not know), Hober (bespoke)...maybe Marinella, although I've only seen lined sixes from them.

- B

Felix Krull

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Kiton doesn't make seven folds.

- B

My dear friend, you are mistaken. Kiton has been making 7-folds for quite some time. If you perform an internet search using the terms "Kiton" and "7-fold" I believe you will find yourself in err.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
An unlined seven can have a suppleness that is difficult to match in a standard lined three.

Lined six folds are all over the map, but the nicest ones are nearly as supple as a good seven but retain the shape preservation properties of a lined tie.

I'm trying to think of who makes true unlined sevens...Talbott (can be spectacularly fugly), Rubinacci, Arny's, Attolini (by whom, I do not know), Hober (bespoke)...maybe Marinella, although I've only seen lined sixes from them.

- B

I have a few unlined 7 folds from RLPL circa 2000 that are spectacular.

Felix Krull

Reaction score

- B

I quite concur with this gentleman's astute assessment of the artistry present in the 7-fold tie. It is precisely the difficulty in making them and the large quantities of silk needed to produce them that make them so special to own and to wear. Linings are the worst thing to happen to neckwear with the possible exception of clip-ons. I refuse to own a lined tie since I've never found one that has proper drape to it.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
My dear friend, you are mistaken. Kiton has been making 7-folds for quite some time. If you perform an internet search using the terms "Kiton" and "7-fold" I believe you will find yourself in err.

Ah, the internet. Someday, I must look into it.

Nonetheless, I am not in error.

- B

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kiton doesn't make seven folds.

- B

I was thinking, well, I hope so since I bought a couple Kitons declared as 7 folds from fellow forum members.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
I refuse to own a lined tie since I've never found one that has proper drape to it.

Do you own any Kiton? Because if you do, odds are 99% that you are wearing a lined six or four fold.

Even their untipped three folds in wool or linen will have a bit of lining in them.

I'm not sure what you mean by "proper drape." A lined three fold is entirely "proper," whatever that means in this context. The different forms of construction can lead to a different feel, however, although there is considerable overlap in outcome among the different construction techniques.

- B

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

- B

Thanks for that- still lost on me but I see what you are saying.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
I was thinking, well, I hope so since I bought a couple Kitons declared as 7 folds from fellow forum members.

They're not. But don't get bent of of shape...the term "7 fold" has been bastardized to apply to nearly any multifold, lined tie...Seaward and Sperm even attach that label to a lined three fold product that they produce.

A true seven will have handkerchief edges at the point with no tipping.

- B

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're not. But don't get bent of of shape...the term "7 fold" has been bastardized to apply to nearly any multifold, lined tie...Seaward and Sperm even attach that label to a lined three fold product that they produce.

A true seven will have handkerchief edges at the point with no tipping.

- B

oh, no worries. I bought the ties because I liked them, not because they were "7 fold." Kiton was enough to indicate a certain level of quality.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 29 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 141 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 265 32.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 129 15.9%
  • 31 - 40