• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster" by Dana Thomas

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Advent
When you know that most LV bags cost approximately $30 to produce (which I learned by reading "Deluxe:..."), pretty much all LV, real or fake, looks like a counterfeit to me.

Actually, from reliable sources in the Far East, I hear what happens is that the same factories that manufacture the real thing, tend to overproduce to account for a the imperfect inventory QC discovers.

More often than not, you may find the factory selling those to the black market rather than throw them all out. So some high quality fakes are actually "real".

Of course there are the dedicated fakers out there.

Advent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fraiche
Actually, from reliable sources in the Far East, I hear what happens is that the same factories that manufacture the real thing, tend to overproduce to account for a the imperfect inventory QC discovers.

More often than not, you may find the factory selling those to the black market rather than throw them all out. So some high quality fakes are actually "real".

Of course there are the dedicated fakers out there.

LOL!

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CouttsClient
I've been obsessing over the alligator satchel since I saw this one on his site a few weeks ago: http://www.peternitz.com/en/catalog/Salem/2/

I'm very close to pulling the trigger

Damn. That's a fine, fine bag. Not my style, but nonetheless.

Question: does he do less, um, ostentatious leathers as well? You know, straight up espresso colored pebblegrain stuff?

Thanks to whomever posted the link to this guy's shop.

Advent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Damn. That's a fine, fine bag. Not my style, but nonetheless.

Question: does he do less, um, ostentatious leathers as well? You know, straight up espresso colored pebblegrain stuff?

Thanks to whomever posted the link to this guy's shop.

The good thing is that he can produce a bag for you in whatever type of leather you want, using the very best calf or goat skin (and not only exotic skins).
It's also my understanding that his "in-house" prices are less than if you were to purchase from a retailer, such as Colette, which adds their mark-up/VAT/duties/etc.
It's *free* to talk with him
smile.gif

Sazerac

Reaction score
Advent,

Would you mind terribly posting pictures of your bag? I'd love to check it out.

I think I'll just talk to him and explain what I want. This really seems like the way to go.

And by 1/3rd the cost of Hermes, would that put it at 2-3 grand or less? Last time I was in an Hermes store I learned that this cute little duffel bag was actually $9.5k. I nearly fell over.

Advent

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Advent,

Would you mind terribly posting pictures of your bag? I'd love to check it out.

I think I'll just talk to him and explain what I want. This really seems like the way to go.

And by 1/3rd the cost of Hermes, would that put it at 2-3 grand or less? Last time I was in an Hermes store I learned that this cute little duffel bag was actually $9.5k. I nearly fell over.

That would put what at 2-3 grand or less?

I will take some pix and send them to you.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The good thing is that he can produce a bag for you in whatever type of leather you want, using the very best calf or goat skin (and not only exotic skins).
It's also my understanding that his "in-house" prices are less than if you were to purchase from a retailer, such as Colette, which adds their mark-up/VAT/duties/etc.
It's *free* to talk with him
smile.gif

Can he do breast wallets? And does he keep green calf in stock?

Originally Posted by N. McKay
Well, I was going to comment that "Correct American spelling" is a contradiction in terms but in light of your very diplomatic request I will refrain.

wink.gif

You ought to read "The Mother Tongue" by Bill Bryson. It's often the other way around, with Americans preserving a lot of terms (and accents, and some spelling, though spelling hasn't been standardized all that long) that were common in england but later changed. Fascinating read in many ways.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When you know that most LV bags cost approximately $30 to produce (which I learned by reading "Deluxe:..."), pretty much all LV, real or fake, looks like a counterfeit to me.
I'd be willing to bet it would cost LV more to sell counterfeit.

BTW I read the book some time back ... am thinking I posted about it elsewhere.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No matter which store I go in to, LV, Hermes, BV, Gucci, Loewe, etc, the salespeople always want to know about my bag, and examine it as if it were a new born baby. His workmanship is insane! You'll have it for life and will hand it down, like your Patek.... ;-)
Today I contacted Peter about the satchel posted above as well as designing a duffel to go along with it. He said he already had in mind a design for a duffel. The price on the satchel is not as bad as I thought it might be. I'm excited
smile.gif

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I contacted Peter about the satchel posted above as well as designing a duffel to go along with it. He said he already had in mind a design for a duffel. The price on the satchel is not as bad as I thought it might be.

I'm excited
smile.gif

Pray tell...

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cost?
Er, yes. Sorry. I'm thinking of reorganising my pockets and I figured it may be worth investing in a few very good pieces made to my specifications (card case, passport cover, wallet, etc.).

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by radicaldog
Er, yes. Sorry. I'm thinking of reorganising my pockets and I figured it may be worth investing in a few very good pieces made to my specifications (card case, passport cover, wallet, etc.).
For the satchel in alligator? Think...new Honda Civic

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the satchel in alligator? Think...new Honda Civic
Thanks. That's quite good compared to the likes of Hermes, but still steep. I might get in touch with him for small accessories in calf though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads