• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Decent Quality Dress Shoes

cdaniel993

Reaction score
Hey guys i have been reading on here for quite a while and keep reading the same response, and im hoping for something different.
Anyways, Im 19 and have the need to start wearing dress shoes to work. I need some recommendations on some dress shoes for the following circumstances:

1. Im 19
2. I walk a lot at my job, outside and inside
3. My shoes will get scuffed a little more due to the environment of my job.
4. I dont want to spend more than 250 on each pair of shoes
5. Id like to get atleast get five years of wear out of the shoes

This may also sound ignorant but is the loud clicking sound common when a man walks in dress shoes, like the sound a womens heel makes?

Thank you for the help!

Last edited:

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my son of the same age and general need Loake 1880s off pediwear.com. If you wear the same shoe every day, it will wear out quickly though. Even if you rotate with another pair, you will need to replace the heel lifts regularly and will need to resole at a decent cobbler once or twice to get 5 years out of them.

cdaniel993

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Currently im wearing a couple of pairs off ecco shoes, and they have been doing good for me, but the leather is showing some unfavorable wear to them, a lot of creasing and such and they are in shoe trees and i care for them well. I was looking at the loake 1880's on pediwear the other day but i didn't know if i wanted to deal with a company overseas and couldn't try on.

I plan on buying for now in the next month two pairs of black shoes and one pair of brown shoes, and adding to them when i see sales.

Where is some good places online where i can look for sales?

Hayward

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming you live in the US and not in an area with easy access to better offshore brands you might want to go to a store that stocks Johnston & Murphy. In any case you should really try on any new brand or type of shoe, then when you know what fits you, you can order additional pairs online.

You probably want something like this, yes?

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/product.aspx?c=1215&pid=85192

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i didn't know if i wanted to deal with a company overseas and couldn't try on. 

It's a crap shoot but you can return them. I would suggest sizing down a full size.
Where are you located?

cdaniel993

Reaction score

Assuming you live in the US and not in an area with easy access to better offshore brands you might want to go to a store that stocks Johnston & Murphy. In any case you should really try on any new brand or type of shoe, then when you know what fits you, you can order additional pairs online.

Yes I live in the us. I've seen the jms in store but some look plasticy

cdaniel993

Reaction score

Yes im in the us. I would like to go to a store, but the jms I have seen I want really favorable on them

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to pay return postage.
The J&M suggestion was not bad for someone in your age group/income bracket. Just don't expect them to last for 5+ years of solid wear.

cdaniel993

Reaction score

Yes im in the us. I would like to go to a store, but the jms I have seen I want really favorable on them

cdaniel993

Reaction score

You have to pay return postage.
The J&M suggestion was not bad for someone in your age group/income bracket. Just don't expect them to last for 5+ years of solid wear.

For $150 I would rather spend some more money for extra life

aizan

Reaction score
look for allen edmonds san marco on ebay. it's a great outdoor/indoor dress shoe.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads