• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Dealing with pompous idiots in business

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
For anyone involved in business, how do you deal with pompous idiots? There's some people that don't have a clue what they're doing but act like they're the second coming of Christ. You explain to them what needs to be done and how to do it, and they think the hardass attitude of 'Do it the way I said!' actually has meaning beyond its vitriol.

It's as if the power they want and the knowledge they have are so far apart that it's impossible to deal with them. They're idiots of the umpteenth degree but think they can move buildings with their power.

I don't want to get into details, but basically a guy with no money and has no control over the situation is trying to assume power and control for a project and he has no idea where the project began, where it is, and where it's going.
 

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Sep 28, 2004
Messages
20,607
Reaction score
400
Originally Posted by why
For anyone involved in business, how do you deal with pompous idiots? There's some people that don't have a clue what they're doing but act like they're the second coming of Christ. You explain to them what needs to be done and how to do it, and they think the hardass attitude of 'Do it the way I said!' actually has meaning beyond its vitriol.

It's as if the power they want and the knowledge they have are so far apart that it's impossible to deal with them. They're idiots of the umpteenth degree but think they can move buildings with their power.

I don't want to get into details, but basically a guy with no money and has no control over the situation is trying to assume power and control for a project and he has no idea where the project began, where it is, and where it's going.


I have simply become the pompous idiot. it was pretty easy for me, because being a pompous idiot had always been a hobby, so becoming a pro wasn't all the difficult.
 

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
1,358
Reaction score
21
You could quit your job.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
The consultant's creed:

The customer is always right.
So, give the customer what they ask for.
Get this in writing.

If what they really wanted wasn't what they asked for,
Give them what they really wanted.
And bill them for all the time you wasted because they didn't know what they wanted in the first place.
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,539
Reaction score
12,599
Actually your "pompous idiot" was just asking me the same question about how to deal with you...
 

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Apr 27, 2007
Messages
18,440
Reaction score
2,957
for better or worse, pretty much. we are always willing to tell a client when we disagree, sometimes at the behest of new biz.

Originally Posted by Thomas
The consultant's creed:

The customer is always right.
So, give the customer what they ask for.
Get this in writing.

If what they really wanted wasn't what they asked for,
Give them what they really wanted.
And bill them for all the time you wasted because they didn't know what they wanted in the first place.
 

whiteslashasian

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
11,917
Reaction score
1,973
Originally Posted by Thomas
The consultant's creed:

The customer is always right.
So, give the customer what they ask for.
Get this in writing.

If what they really wanted wasn't what they asked for,
Give them what they really wanted.
And bill them for all the time you wasted because they didn't know what they wanted in the first place.


QFT
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Actually your "pompous idiot" was just asking me the same question about how to deal with you...

Cool. What did he say?
 

turboman808

Senior Member
Joined
Nov 3, 2008
Messages
878
Reaction score
0
Originally Posted by Thomas
If what they really wanted wasn't what they asked for,
Give them what they really wanted.
And bill them for all the time you wasted because they didn't know what they wanted in the first place.


I have one client that I have treat like that.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
Originally Posted by turboman808
I have one client that I have treat like that.

I had customers who are like this. I would listen, take notes, ask questions, challenge a few points, then deliver what they asked for - how they wanted it. I arrive with a finished deliverable, and am greeted with "what I REALLY want is..."

Inside I'm seething. Inside I'm thinking any of the following scripts:"
"What - you think this is fucking Burger King? Have it your way? Fuck off!"
"Just like a woman. Don't know what you fucking want when you get what you ask for"
"Well, I REALLY wanted a blowjob, but I don't see you getting on your knees"

Outwardly I smiled, documented it all, and counted the added billable hours.

Then I moved to an step-driven process - check out the structure of the house before applying the siding, you know. Saves me some serious hassle, except for the people who just want to see finished results. For that privilege, they pay. Sometimes dearly.
 

Tardek

Senior Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
701
Reaction score
1
My problem isn't pleasing my clients - it's pleasing clients and also dealing with my colleagues and superiors, many of whose sole qualification is that they, through accident of birth, were born before me and thus managed to graduate before me.
 

why

Distinguished Member
Joined
Oct 7, 2007
Messages
9,735
Reaction score
406
Originally Posted by Tardek
My problem isn't pleasing my clients - it's pleasing clients and also dealing with my colleagues and superiors, many of whose sole qualification is that they, through accident of birth, were born before me and thus managed to graduate before me.

Join the club.

I don't have an issue with clients. This is a business-business issue with a hardhead.
 

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Joined
Dec 20, 2004
Messages
26,539
Reaction score
12,599
Originally Posted by why
Cool. What did he say?

"For anyone involved in business, how do you deal with pompous idiots? There's some people that don't have a clue what they're doing but act like they're the second coming of Christ. You explain to them what needs to be done and how to do it, and they think the hardass attitude of 'Do it the way I said!' actually has meaning beyond its vitriol.

It's as if the power they want and the knowledge they have are so far apart that it's impossible to deal with them. They're idiots of the umpteenth degree but think they can move buildings with their power.

I don't want to get into details, but basically a guy with no money and has no control over the situation is trying to assume power and control for a project and he has no idea where the project began, where it is, and where it's going."
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 30 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 143 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 267 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 130 15.9%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 70 8.5%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 48 5.9%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 25 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 22 2.7%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 17 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 9 1.1%
  • 100+

    Votes: 52 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
429,059
Messages
9,228,395
Members
193,704
Latest member
saracastro
Top