• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Deadlift proper form

CosmicOsmo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
Depending on the gym you could just ask if they: 1 - have any other bars in the back that they hide because they are 'too smooth' 2 - would consider buying a new bar. You might be surprised
smile.gif

#1 is kind of a sticky situation because if it's so smooth that it won't scrape your shins, it is also likely to be so smooth that it will be hard to hold on to with any significant amount of weight. I've unsuccessfully tried the tape-over-the-knurling idea (seemed like it would work but didn't help much)...I think the best plan is just tall, thick socks and/or pants. Personally, I've just gotten used to having scraped-up shins.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CosmicOsmo
#1 is kind of a sticky situation because if it's so smooth that it won't scrape your shins, it is also likely to be so smooth that it will be hard to hold on to with any significant amount of weight.

straps.gif

CosmicOsmo

Reaction score
straps.gif

IMHO straps should be a tool, not a crutch. You'd be sacrificing grip strength if you start using straps all the time. Just protecting the shins with some thick socks is still the best solution if the scraping really bothers you.

All IMHO, of course.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He already said he was wearing sweatpants.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He already said he was wearing sweatpants.
Missed that. If you're worried about your shins, you probably need to look into another exercise.

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've found that for everything but really heavy lifts I'm ok just paying a little more attention to controlling the bar on the way down. For heavy lifts, I don't do them that often, but when I do, because my form on regular lifts generally doesn't involve scraping, I'm usually ok. Still, you're going to scrape your shins every now and then.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
You might try wearing a pair of running tights under your shorts. Something by Adidas or Nike. They make warm-weather ones that are really lightweight. My gym is kind of cold in the winter, so I often wear these under shorts to keep my legs warm and prevent any muscle pulls.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave them a try last night with 45s on each side of the bar (I would guess I can do more but since I do not know what I am doing, I dont want to hurt myself).

I think my form was ok. I am getting a soreness/pain in my lower back that I would attribute to building up underutilized muscles but feel free to stop me if this is not something I should feel (or is indicative of bad form).

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by otc
I gave them a try last night with 45s on each side of the bar (I would guess I can do more but since I do not know what I am doing, I dont want to hurt myself).

I think my form was ok. I am getting a soreness/pain in my lower back that I would attribute to building up underutilized muscles but feel free to stop me if this is not something I should feel (or is indicative of bad form).

Well soreness and pain are two different things....

Soreness is certainly to be expected; just concentrate on keeping your lower back "locked" straight. I find that taking a deep breath before every rep and "pushing" against it helps. Starting low and working your way up is definitely the way to go, and don't be afraid to reset yourself each rep to ensure you're using correct form.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads