• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daytime wedding ceremony; night reception

DancingPete

Reaction score
I'm curious about everyone's thoughts on what to wear to an afternoon wedding ceremony with a night reception. If the dress code only calls for a suit then it's not a problem but if it's black tie then it seems silly to wear a tuxedo at 3:30 in the afternoon to church. Also, what about for those actually in the wedding party? Assuming morning wear is out of the question, is a dinner jacket appropriate for the ceremony? I'm not asking for advice for a specific event but I've been to a few weddings in the past month and it seems the trend in the wedding party these days is just a regular suit or maybe a non distinct tuxedo (notch lapels, etc) with a white vest and white necktie. I personally don't like it but wonder what I would do differently. A tuxedo doesn't seem right for such an early start, changing is impractical, and I don't like an ambiguous look like I just described. I'm just interested in some thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

bigbjorn

Reaction score
Unless attire was specified as semi-formal, I'd wear a lounge suit. If the attire was specified as semi-formal, I think I'd opt for a morning coat with a change of clothes for a dinner suit (impractical, I agree, especially if you have to sneak away to change during the cocktail hour). My wedding started at 6:00pm, so we were absolved of these types of sartorial challenges.

DancingPete

Reaction score
Your ceremony itself started at 6:00? That seems to present its own logistical challenges as far as pushing the reception later and needing it to be closer to the place of the ceremony. I think a late ceremony is a fine idea that does take care of the clothing issue but only if you can make it work.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads