• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That ad doesn't mention the type of leather does it, Jim?
No, but I will look for one that does.

EDIT: I looked from 1970-2000. Nothing. They were only advertised during the 150 anniversary years, although there was very little of any advertising after 1987. The end had begun. No mention of the leather.

Last edited:

slimjohnil6

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread, - but thought I'd ask here too as these are Canada made shoes. Any info on these? Found them today at a thrift shop. Gold Bond by Hartt - size 9D. Look like they were worn maybe one time, judging from the wear on the sole.
The texture on the uppers look similar to a camel leather I've seen on other Hartt shoes.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread, - but thought I'd ask here too as these are Canada made shoes. Any info on these? Found them today at a thrift shop. Gold Bond by Hartt - size 9D. Look like they were worn maybe one time, judging from the wear on the sole.
The texture on the uppers look similar to a camel leather I've seen on other Hartt shoes.

That's the Hartt twin of the Dack's Bond Street that appears in Jim's ad from 1986 directly above. Lovely shoes!
And the leather is what Hartt called "Prairie Buffalo" (what dack's called "Prairie Oxhide"), but, in reality, was likely Water Bison.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was able to find some Canadian made Florsheim Imperials on the weekend (McHale?) as well as a funky pair of mens Fluevog chukkas (canadian brand although foreign manufactured - and not really classically styled).

I believe these are Kudu Antelope plain-toe-bluchers but do not appear to be goodyear welted. View attachment 1296008

I have this exact pair of Florsheim by John McHale. Mine came NOS with original tags. Marked as antelope leather. I find the last to be a tad tight even though they are 8.5eee. If given option, I would have bought 9eee.

I believe all Canadian made Florsheim were manufactured by John McHale. You have a pair of gems.

Fluevog is not my cup of tea. The prices are outrageous given they are made overseas. Designs are too metro for me.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Size 8.5 D
No markings indicating John McHale, but they had a round made in Canada stamp on the inside sole. Were they all J McHales?

Based on what I know, yes. Others are free to jump in with their input.

slimjohnil6

Reaction score
That's the Hartt twin of the Dack's Bond Street that appears in Jim's ad from 1986 directly above. Lovely shoes!
And the leather is what Hartt called "Prairie Buffalo" (what dack's called "Prairie Oxhide"), but, in reality, was likely Water Bison.

Thanks for the info on these!

slimjohnil6

Reaction score
Thanks for the info on these!

Can anyone explain the number codes that appear on this shoe? Here’s the code numbers:

9D 5712 4
8213 82 84

Trying to figure out the manufacturing year for these mainly. Pretty sure they’re 9D as that’s my size but no info beyond that. Thanks!

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my recent trip to London I picked up this pair of very interesting Dack's Norwegian gunboats. They have the Anniversary sock-liner, but have the red diamond Dack's tag. This is the first pair of Anniversary Dack's that I have seen with the Dacks diamond tag. I had been convinced it had been totally phased out by that time. The shoes also have the the 50's and 60's style "Bespoke Quality- Hand Benched" stamp on the sole, which is entirely absent from Bespoke shoes from the 70's and early 80's. Bespoke Dacks from those years just have the "Extra Quality- Made in Canada" stamp. I wonder if these shoes were a special order for an old customer.

The styling hearkens back to the 1950's "Kenwood". While they are double-soled, they lack the nailed waste, which is a trait that does occasionally show up on Anniversary shoes. I find this surprising given the other early traits on this pair. It is neat to see that Dack's was still making a few of these classic shoes as late as 1983-87.

The "Kenwood" ad is from 1952.

IMG_3128.jpg
IMG_3129.jpg
IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

1952 The Kenwood.JPG

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1296686

View attachment 1296688
View attachment 1296689
View attachment 1296690
These Gold Bonds were almost exclusively manufactured in England, however this is the second pair of this exact style that I have seen that were definitely made in Canada. I have also seen a few other styles of Gold Bonds that were made in Canada. Yours are one of the very best that Hartt was offering in the 1980's. They are some sort of water bison or buffalo leather. Tough as nails. A great find.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Can anyone explain the number codes that appear on this shoe? Here’s the code numbers:

9D 5712 4
8213 82 84

Trying to figure out the manufacturing year for these mainly. Pretty sure they’re 9D as that’s my size but no info beyond that. Thanks!

The 9D is indeed the size, and the 5712 is the model number. The 84 is the last number.

If anyone has cracked the other numbers, I am not aware of it...

My pair is also "Made in Canada".

gorebug

Reaction score
I’ve found a couple pairs of these around lately, any idea on the maker.

very stiff and thick leather - I’m guessing part of a uniform of some sort.

(just realized I never took a picture of the boots themselves, but they are plain toed)

C9CA09AD-7F0B-4186-B485-BB0FC62C7FC7.jpeg

Attachments

• CC512A19-23E4-4642-92C9-B7B2C4CAF87E.jpeg
    CC512A19-23E4-4642-92C9-B7B2C4CAF87E.jpeg
    268.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 0288405E-B336-40B5-9B93-72F549B9B781.jpeg
    0288405E-B336-40B5-9B93-72F549B9B781.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 16

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads