• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do to get these ones from? I could never figure out where to get ones from....

You get them when you donate some junk from home. Just drop off a bag of stuff you do not need, and be sure to ask for the coupon. Don't donate too much at once. Feather it in and get a coupon each time.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darn, I didn't know - was just donating into the bins. Need to figure it out.

Value Village offers coupon with percentage.

Salvation Army offers $10 coupon for next purchase.

lbgradwell

Reaction score
And then Canada West work boots..

View attachment 1350363

Now that is interesting! (To me anyway.)

Prospector was an HH Brown brand. One of their logos even featured the hammer.

I've never seen a Canada West example before.

Prospector Matterhorn Invincible 22800 1l RCMP.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Darn, I didn't know - was just donating into the bins. Need to figure it out.

When I donate, I never just drop off. I speak to staff and ask for the coupon.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
VV treated me today with a set of time appropriate shoe-trees. In my case they screwed up and priced them low. The lower pair does not look old but it marked "Dack". Could I resists? )) View attachment 1350393

I buy the wood trees esp if I find Dack's or Hartt's branded wooden ones. Today I bought these solid 150th. I think they are beech or basswood. I also like the USMC wooden ones with the ring.
IMG_7567.JPG

What's up with Goatamous II ?
When you donate they offer you a coupon
Do they give you 20% off if you donate anything, or does it need to be above a value threshold?
And what is up with the II?

Finally found decent shoes at thrift store. But what's with the prices at VV?
I know! What is with their prices! They have gone up a lot in the past year. Definitely outpacing any increases at other thrift stores.

goatamous II

Reaction score
Do they give you 20% off if you donate anything, or does it need to be above a value threshold?
And what is up with the II?

haha i answered Jiqea via PM
I wish there was a better story to it
I use Google automated passwords and the password manager. [if unaware, they pretty much look like mashing your keyboard]

Was cleaning up saved passwords. accidentally deleted the SF one. the "reset your password" function doesn't work, so eventually I just made a new account

re Donation
There is no value threshold, however I do try to donate a few items at a time. I'd feel strange dropping off one dress shirt and getting a coupon.

Last edited:

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that is interesting! (To me anyway.)

Prospector was an HH Brown brand. One of their logos even featured the hammer.

I've never seen a Canada West example before.

View attachment 1350512
These HH Browns are labelled Prospectors as well. Military wet-weather boots.

il_794xN.1860213765_ab51.jpg
il_794xN.1860214721_scgq.jpg

Last edited:

Dit_rich

Reaction score
I buy the wood trees esp if I find Dack's or Hartt's branded wooden ones. Today I bought these solid 150th. I think they are beech or basswood. I also like the USMC wooden ones with the ring.
I think I am good for now )). I have a couple of Florsheim shoe-trees but not very special and these ones are my first Dack's. I have more than 10 in total - should start selling this stuff...
The old ones are actually gorgeous! All with different mechanisms from the past... all three in size 11 (one looks like it was hones down a little) and suit me fine. Planning to clean them today - they are very dusty, apparently came from somebody's attic.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am good for now )). I have a couple of Florsheim shoe-trees but not very special and these ones are my first Dack's. I have more than 10 in total - should start selling this stuff...
The old ones are actually gorgeous! All with different mechanisms from the past... all three in size 11 (one looks like it was hones down a little) and suit me fine. Planning to clean them today - they are very dusty, apparently came from somebody's attic.

Eventually I will have a period-correct tree for every Dack I own, and and period-correct exotic Dack for every tree I own. Not sure which side is winning, at this point. I just bought a couple pair of, IIRC, 40s or 50s Dack's trees.

image1.jpeg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eventually I will have a period-correct tree for every Dack I own, and and period-correct exotic Dack for every tree I own. Not sure which side is winning, at this point. I just bought a couple pair of, IIRC, 40s or 50s Dack's trees.

View attachment 1350770
Very hard to find shoes for those pre-1949 trees. It is the second pair of those that I have seen that show no evidence of having had a decal on the second tree. I used to have a great pair of these with two decals that my daughter gave me.

Last edited:

lbgradwell

Reaction score
These HH Browns are labelled Prospectors as well. Military wet-weather boots.

View attachment 1350726

Right. The pair I posted above were both military and RCMP-issue. I can't vouch for your style, but the others are excellent. Yours bear the later logo.

And I concur regarding the prices at VV; they've increased substantially. The local location had an Aquascutum lambswool scarf priced at $60 or $70. It sold, and before the 50% of sale!

Emboldened by the sale, the next time I went back (Monday past), there were 4 scarves in the locked case! One (no brand noted) was $60 and the guy kept mentioning it was cashmere. That's nice and all, but I bought a cashmere scarf from the SA a month ago for $5.

Paul902

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very hard to find shoes for those pre-1949 trees. It is the second pair of those that I have seen that show no evidence of having had a decal on the second tree. I used to have a great pair of these that my daughter gave me with two decals.

She must have found those across the pond on a double-decal bus. The search for pre-49 shoes is going to keep me in the game a long time, eh?

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
She must have found those across the pond on a double-decal bus. The search for pre-49 shoes is going to keep me in the game a long time, eh?
I have had one pair with the old logo diamond tag. Think of it as finding post-1930 shoes. Before that the Dack's trees had the tall handle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads