• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dacks and other Canadian shoe brands

HalfHuskyBite

Reaction score
I’m going to enter the shoe restoration contest with these. They feel like corrected grain leather.

Attachments

• 4D27057E-4BD7-400C-ACEF-9809246C33FC.jpeg
    4D27057E-4BD7-400C-ACEF-9809246C33FC.jpeg
    147.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 9D099039-979B-44A3-93A5-97601D4C6B23.jpeg
    9D099039-979B-44A3-93A5-97601D4C6B23.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 21

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m going to enter the shoe restoration contest with these. They feel like corrected grain leather.

Tight schedule. Deadline is this Thursday!

lbgradwell

Reaction score
Jiqea's thrifted Dack's 2165A Brown Plain-Toe Derby in Prairie Oxhide with Hand-Sewn Vamps arrived today. Ordered Thursday afternoon from Ottawa and delivered to Newfoundland the following Wednesday with a long weekend in between. Impressive!

Attachments

• Dack's 2165A Brown Plain-Toe Derby Prairie Oxhide Hand-Sewn Vamp 11.5E 1d.jpg
    Dack's 2165A Brown Plain-Toe Derby Prairie Oxhide Hand-Sewn Vamp 11.5E 1d.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 17

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a nice pair of Canadian made Florsheim that arrived yesterday. They were made at the old McHale factory in London. They have my favourite date code, and I am thinking they were made in 89 rather than 79, although I can get no firm date on when the factory in London shut down. They were sold, or were dead stock from Woodwards, a western Canadian department chain that shut down in 1993. Great shoes. I love finding them with the box! I am torn between giving these or the NOS camels to my son. He is not getting both!
IMG_2352.jpg
IMG_2348.jpg
IMG_2351.jpg
IMG_2350.jpg
IMG_2347.jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here are a nice pair of Canadian made Florsheim that arrived yesterday. They were made at the old McHale factory in London. They have my favourite date code, and I am thinking they were made in 89 rather than 79, although I can get no firm date on when the factory in London shut down. They were sold, or were dead stock from Woodwards, a western Canadian department chain that shut down in 1993. Great shoes. I love finding them with the box! I am torn between giving these or the NOS camels to my son. He is not getting both! View attachment 1235534 View attachment 1235535 View attachment 1235537 View attachment 1235536 View attachment 1235538

Another amazing pair of Canadiana!

Sad that we only have memories of what was a stellar and robust industry.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was cruising around on the internet this afternoon and came across these Canada West boots, manufactured several years ago for Epaulet New York (oddly based out of California). They were marketed as "Bull Leather". Nice to see there are still quality products being made in Canada. These are on eBay. If they were my size I might have bought them. Fall boot season is nearly here!
$_3.jpg
$_3 (3).jpg
$_3 (2).jpg
$_3 (1).jpg

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was cruising around on the internet this afternoon and came across these Canada West boots, manufactured several years ago for Epaulet New York (oddly based out of California). They were marketed as "Bull Leather". Nice to see there are still quality products being made in Canada. These are on eBay. If they were my size I might have bought them. Fall boot season is nearly here! View attachment 1237503 View attachment 1237504 View attachment 1237505 View attachment 1237506

This store sells Canada West boots (casual, work etc):

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been searching a long time for pictures of a pair of truly early Dacks, and tonight I found them! I believe these shoes to pre-date 1923, which was when Dacks opened their Montreal and Winnipeg stores, and stopped using "Dacks Toronto" in their advertising. Just such a super cool thing. The vendor wants a fortune and I just cant justify buying them. Damn I want them. They are a real piece of Canadian shoe history, and I bet there are not many left in existence. My wife would strangle me. That black diamond "Made by Dacks Toronto" makes my knees weak.
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg

Jiqea

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I broke down and bought the two nice pairs of Dacks Bond Streets I had posted on two weeks ago. I made a low ball offer that was surprisingly accepted. They arrived last evening. Dacks first produced the Bond Street in 1928, and which point it was the name for a single shoe model. By 1932, and the height of the depression, Dacks introduced an entire line of Bond Street shoes, geared towards younger men at a lower price point than their traditional lines. In order to keep prices down they used Canadian sourced leather rather than imported French leather. The Bond Street line continued to be produced with Canadian leather until the Second World War, when it seems to have been discontinued.

By the early 1950's, and after the sale of the company by S.E. Dack (my avatar) to the Marston Corporation in 1948, the Bond Street line was reintroduced as an entry level offering, however the shoes were sourced from Churchs and were all manufactured in England. Later the shoes would be made by Cheaney after they had been purchased by Churchs. The two pairs pictured below are the earliest of these English made Bond Streets that I have found, and with their nailed heels and superb construction, I believe them to be from the 50's. The one pair came with their original shoe trees which are definitely from the 50's. The leather appears to possibly be water bison, although it is not indicated in the shoes. They retailed in the 50's for $17.50.
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2363.jpg
IMG_2360.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg
IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2364.jpg

Last edited:

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I broke down and bought two nice pairs of Dacks Bond Streets I had posted on two weeks ago. I made a low ball offer that was surprisingly accepted. They arrive last evening. Dacks first produced the Bond Street in 1928, and which point it was the name for a single shoe model. By 1932, and the height of the depression, Dacks introduced an entire line of Bond Street shoes, geared towards younger men at a lower price point than their traditional lines. In order to keep prices down they used Canadian sourced leather rather than imported French leather. The Bond Street line continued to be produced with Canadian leather until the Second World War, when it seems to have been discontinued.

By the early 1950's, and after the sale of the company by S.E. Dack (my avatar) to the Marston Corporation in 1948, the Bond Street line was reintroduced as an entry level offering, however the shoes were sourced from Churchs and were all manufactured in England. Later the shoes would be made by Cheaney after they had been purchased by Churchs. The two pairs pictured below are the earliest of these English made Bond Streets that I have found, and with their nailed heels and superb construction, I believe them to be from the 50's. The one pair came with their original shoe trees which are definitely from the 50's. The leather appears to possibly be water bison, although it is not indicated in the shoes. They retailed in the 50's for $17.50. View attachment 1239375 View attachment 1239376 View attachment 1239374
View attachment 1239379 View attachment 1239380
View attachment 1239393

Thanks for the history lesson. I am a history geek and nerd.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads