• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CustomMen v BB 1818?

scwtlover

Reaction score
Brooks Brothers, as is well known, currently is offering many of their 1818 at two for $999.

Yesterday, I received an e-mail from CustomMen, in NYC, offering (what I take to be mtm) suits for $399.

Can anyone tell me what degree of quality and service I should expect from CustomMen, and how it compares to BB 1818?

Imparali

Reaction score
Custom Men, is a local NY tailor who makes suits in Hong Kong. If I am not mistaken, the manager use to work at Mohan Tailors and now opened his own store near Central Park South. While I have never met him, or seen his work, I am assuming he uses the same tailors in Hong Kong as Mohan.

scwtlover

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Imparali
Custom Men, is a local NY tailor who makes suits in Hong Kong. If I am not mistaken, the manager use to work at Mohan Tailors and now opened his own store near Central Park South. While I have never met him, or seen his work, I am assuming he uses the same tailors in Hong Kong as Mohan.

Assuming this is so, what should I infer about his quality and service both in itself and as compared to BB 1818?

Imparali

Reaction score
I personally think a Hong Kong suit are better then a BB 1818, maybe that is me being biased as I outsource my suits to Hong Kong as well, you have a bigger and better selection, and it's less expensive. And as far as customer service, I think as small business owner will cater to a clients needs rather then a sales clerk at a huge department store.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would go the BB Route, the tailors are local and if there is ever a problem I know BB will take care of it, with those other tailors I never know what is going to happen.

Charlie

Reaction score
i think the bottom line is that you should head over to the BB store and see what is available in your size. if you like the fabric and style, and the fit is right, then it would unwise to set that aside in favor of a roll of the dice with Custom Men for a $100-200 savings. Plus, for 399 at CM, i can't imagine you are getting the nicest fabrics.

scwtlover

Reaction score
It turns out that the $399 price is only for a package of three suits, with which one gets a fourth suit "free." The price for one suit is $599, which, however, is credited against the package price, if one buys two more suits.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads