• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TH3515

Reaction score
^^ Three times on the same boot or twice on one side and once on the other? Did you check the eyelets and hooks fir any sharp edges that may have damaged the laces? White's have the best hooks and eyelets of all boots I've seen, but I've seen this happen with other boots and there's no reason it couldn't happen on a pair of White's.
That said, the laces do vary a lot. On my Smokejumpers, one is starting to become noticeably thinner while the other seems to hold up well.

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Three times on the same boot or twice on one side and once on the other? Did you check the eyelets and hooks fir any sharp edges that may have damaged the laces? White's have the best hooks and eyelets of all boots I've seen, but I've seen this happen with other boots and there's no reason it couldn't happen on a pair of White's.
That said, the laces do vary a lot. On my Smokejumpers, one is starting to become noticeably thinner while the other seems to hold up well.

I agree that their eyelets are good in the sense of smooth and strong, but man they are just too darn small for their leather laces!

PaintSplattered

Reaction score
On the topic of leather laces, I have a few ideas:

- You might have received a bad pair. It's worth contacting them to see it they'd send you a replacement pair.

- In my experience, White's leather laces do vary in thickness. On my boots I can feel a difference at one point where the thickness is very pronounced. So much so that I'm wondering if it would even fit through an eyelet regularly. Honestly, I'm not exaggerating here. Thankfully it's at the end of the lace so I can smash it down when I re-lace my boots after a heavy cleaning. And I have speed hooks.

- I tried some "Cougar" brand leather laces that my local boot store had (the one that measured me for my boots) since they had an all black version, and they were thinner. Since they felt slightly dry I used some Obenaufs oil on them before use. I can't remember how long they lasted, but it was plenty long and I felt I got more than my money's worth. One side finally snapped a few days ago so I went back to the White's leather laces.

- Cougar brand laces are thinner than White's laces, but I felt they were very strong. As I said, they are easier to get through eyelets and speed hooks.

broken_oracle

Reaction score
Various replies here:

-I always Obenauf my leather laces

-The left lace snapped twice (in different locations, eyelet-wise), the right once.

-These were on an all-eyelet pair of Semi-Dress just a couple of months old. Part of the reason I put in the oiled leather laces was they do grip better, leaving a tighter fit that would've been better for finishing off this break-in.

The funny part is, when I travel I generally pack a spare boot lace, "just in case." Didn't this time because I had literally put them on the night before my flight and figured, "They're brand new! Thick-ass leather laces! I'll be in a city! At museums! What could happen?"

Last edited:

crash2net

Reaction score
I have been trying to save up for some custom bounty hunters but every time I get close, I need to spend my available savings on an emergency expenditure... I recently discharged from the navy and am attending college. Money is tight. Does anyone know someplace other than eBay that regularly has used whites available? If not, any ideas on alternatives to the bounty hunters other than Wolv 1000 mile, Red Wing or Alden..? I have a really short wide foot, which makes second hand nearly impossible to find. Thanks to all of you who have already posted a ton of great info. Take care

iPetronius

Reaction score
Bounty Hunters came in yesterday afternoon. British tan leather looks really rich and gorgeous in person. Some of the specs: 10" lined, brass eyes/hooks, double midsole, double stitched welt, cap toe, standard Cuban heel. Really happy with this make up...

delete

Last edited:

niktak11

Reaction score

What leather laces do you guys recommend? Also, should I put on some edge dressing or anything (I got the natural edges)?

Last edited:

trvlr472

Reaction score
I have been trying to save up for some custom bounty hunters but every time I get close, I need to spend my available savings on an emergency expenditure... I recently discharged from the navy and am attending college. Money is tight. Does anyone know someplace other than eBay that regularly has used whites available? If not, any ideas on alternatives to the bounty hunters other than Wolv 1000 mile, Red Wing or Alden..? I have a really short wide foot, which makes second hand nearly impossible to find. Thanks to all of you who have already posted a ton of great info. Take care

Been there, done that. If you are in the situation you say you are in then you shouldn't even be considering any White's boots. New or used. No offense intended. Find something cheaper for the time being. There are those here on this forum that know FAR more about shoes/boots than I and can point you in the direction of some boots that won't break your bank and still get the job done.
Get through college and THEN worry about the "nice" stuff. Trust me, that's the best advice you'll get and considering the type of people that are on this forum? For the most part, they will give you the same advice. There are some extremely wealthy people on this forum and I'm NOT one of them. I have NO doubt they will chime in and agree with me! Trust their advice. Spend the money on flowers for your girlfriend! You'll get FAR more satisfaction out of that.
I may also add that I did 6 years in the Navy and when I got out, White's boots or anything like that weren't even anywhere NEAR on the agenda. College first, then 5 years on the job, then White's boots. Hot girl LONG before White's boots!
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

TH3515

Reaction score
Bounty Hunters came in yesterday afternoon. British tan leather looks really rich and gorgeous in person. Some of the specs: 10" lined, brass eyes/hooks, double midsole, double stitched welt, cap toe, standard Cuban heel. Really happy with this make up...

Beautiful boots! The BT has a wonderful, silky shimmer and the double midsole looks hot. How does it feel walking on it? Is it more uncomfortable than a single midsole?

Interestingly, the British Tan on your pair looks darker and more reddish than my BT Semi Dress, and that difference seems greater than what could be attributed to lighting, white balance etc. I added a pic of my BT Semi Dress, it's the captoe boot on the right (the other one is a brown oil tan SJ):

It would be interesting to compare our boots in real life;-)

iPetronius

Reaction score
Beautiful boots! The BT has a wonderful, silky shimmer and the double midsole looks hot. How does it feel walking on it? Is it more uncomfortable than a single midsole?

Interestingly, the British Tan on your pair looks darker and more reddish than my BT Semi Dress, and that difference seems greater than what could be attributed to lighting, white balance etc. I added a pic of my BT Semi Dress, it's the captoe boot on the right (the other one is a brown oil tan SJ):

It would be interesting to compare our boots in real life;-)
delete

Last edited:

Carson

Reaction score
Been there, done that. If you are in the situation you say you are in then you shouldn't even be considering any White's boots. New or used. No offense intended. Find something cheaper for the time being. There are those here on this forum that know FAR more about shoes/boots than I and can point you in the direction of some boots that won't break your bank and still get the job done.
Get through college and THEN worry about the "nice" stuff. Trust me, that's the best advice you'll get and considering the type of people that are on this forum? For the most part, they will give you the same advice. There are some extremely wealthy people on this forum and I'm NOT one of them. I have NO doubt they will chime in and agree with me! Trust their advice. Spend the money on flowers for your girlfriend! You'll get FAR more satisfaction out of that.
I may also add that I did 6 years in the Navy and when I got out, White's boots or anything like that weren't even anywhere NEAR on the agenda. College first, then 5 years on the job, then White's boots. Hot girl LONG before White's boots!
biggrin.gif
Good advice. I got myself into some trouble by living beyond my means for a boot addiction, a while back, lol. That's why I don't visit the Alden thread any more. As for the young gentleman, a pair of new-ish, but used Iron Rangers on Ebay would probably do the trick...

Last edited:

phidauex

Reaction score

What leather laces do you guys recommend? Also, should I put on some edge dressing or anything (I got the natural edges)?

I find the natural edge can get an unattractive white scuffy appearance with time, not a durability concern, but doesn't look the best. I would use a neutral edge dressing, or do what I do and just apply some neutral cream polish to the edges and buff off. Doesn't last quite as long as the edge dressing, but it works.

phidauex

Reaction score

The advice from others on living within your means (and appropriate to the time of your life) is good. I have a few pairs of Whites, but I've also been in my current career for 9 years, spent 5 years paying down all my debt, etc. If you plan well, take your time, and keep your debt low then you'll have more choices in the future.

As for current recommendations, used Red Wings are a great option, there are a lot available, and because they are durable they are easy to clean up and restore. Use in general is good advice - there was a good post on /r/GYW (shoe sub-reddit) just a few days ago from someone who posted their collection of 6 or 7 really nice dress shoes, Aldens, AEs and other fine brands, all with an average cost of $54 per pair - they were all bought used on eBay or thrifted. It is fun to buy something shiny and new, but I really like taking my time to find deals, doing a little restoration, and knowing I'm wearing a unique item at a much better price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads