• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I'll share my experience with my current/first/only pair of White's.

I didn't wear them much after receiving them, but then took them with me on a monthlong trip this Dec-Jan.

About two days into the trip, both boots developed a terrible, mortifying squeak. My family (who already had a sort of snarky disregard for my "big, expensive boots") made note of the squeak constantly. And it echoed off all the cobbled streets and alleys everywhere we walked. I started trying to change my gait to minimize it when passing locals. I spent hours imagining how I was going to send them back and ask for a rebuild once I returned to North America.

And then, in the last week of the trip, after miles and miles and miles of squeaking...they just stopped. Now they're silent and supple. I love them.

All to say, I would try to just wear the absolute crap out of them to see if it resolves organically before actually sending them back.
I am glad your boots are “silent” and you are enjoying them.
BTW where are those cobbled streets?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
I wonder if air pressure changes on airplanes have some major effect on squeaks? I had a really similar experience - sometimes I have squeaks in my White's. Just last month I went to Budapest and my left boot had this bonkers squeak with each step. Then I fly back to Ireland...squeak gone.

Widening Gyre

Reaction score
Natty Maryam Stevens on the beach
5B529442-0A0D-46D4-9341-FD9BC34CC35C.jpeg

ABMTL

Reaction score
I am glad your boots are “silent” and you are enjoying them.
BTW where are those cobbled streets?

The echoing squeaks were in the Barcelona Gothic quarter.

Random question: Is it true that they cut the leather at White's the moment the order arrives?

I had a very strange experience where I called yesterday morning to ask Kyle about a potential tweak to my second order of boots. (Basically I was thinking that I actually might need to come down a half-size.) I placed the order back in June 2022. They are brown horsehide semi-dress.

Someone else answered the phone and told me that the fit couldn't be tweaked because the leather is cut on the day that White's receives the order.

Fair enough on not being able to change the fit once the order is submitted, but is that true...that they cut it right away?

It doesn't feel like it makes intuitive sense. If they cut the leather as soon as each order is placed, wouldn't they have a terrible mountainlike inventory of backlogged cut-up leather to store? Like, they've just been holding on to all this cut leather for six months?

And then, even stranger, I got an email update last night that my boots were in the mail.

Maybe it's just coincidence (I happened to call to ask about tweaking the fit on the exact day that the boots were shipping). But I just wanted to understand. Is that really White's workflow--to cut right away and then to build like six months later? If so, what's the logic?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The echoing squeaks were in the Barcelona Gothic quarter.

Random question: Is it true that they cut the leather at White's the moment the order arrives?

I had a very strange experience where I called yesterday morning to ask Kyle about a potential tweak to my second order of boots. (Basically I was thinking that I actually might need to come down a half-size.) I placed the order back in June 2022. They are brown horsehide semi-dress.

Someone else answered the phone and told me that the fit couldn't be tweaked because the leather is cut on the day that White's receives the order.

Fair enough on not being able to change the fit once the order is submitted, but is that true...that they cut it right away?

It doesn't feel like it makes intuitive sense. If they cut the leather as soon as each order is placed, wouldn't they have a terrible mountainlike inventory of backlogged cut-up leather to store? Like, they've just been holding on to all this cut leather for six months?

And then, even stranger, I got an email update last night that my boots were in the mail.

Maybe it's just coincidence (I happened to call to ask about tweaking the fit on the exact day that the boots were shipping). But I just wanted to understand. Is that really White's workflow--to cut right away and then to build like six months later? If so, what's the logic?
My guess would be since your boots were ready to ship, any changes weren't possible and the rest is a misunderstanding (miscommunication) between White's customer service and Baker's customer service.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My turn to ask a random question lol
Do some of the fellow members here not follow Baker's sizing recommendations?

WestLinn

Reaction score
I grew up wearing cowboy boots with riding heels. I got used to the high arch. In HS, cowboys boots and shrink to fit 501’s ($10 a pair on sale in August at the local KMart and which took until late September to become bearable to wear) and a t shirt was the day to day attire. These are like a HS reunion to my feet. Didnt wear the 501s however, next time. To me, they are the best looking jeans with a cowboy boot, still.

Attachments

• EC35B942-A64A-4463-9683-B85059354D59.jpeg
    EC35B942-A64A-4463-9683-B85059354D59.jpeg
    342.1 KB · Views: 294
  • A1FEB98F-46B5-4B71-8A1F-CD303CC58CBD.jpeg
    A1FEB98F-46B5-4B71-8A1F-CD303CC58CBD.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 314

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I grew up wearing cowboy boots with riding heels. I got used to the high arch. In HS, cowboys boots and shrink to fit 501’s ($10 a pair on sale in August at the local KMart and which took until late September to become bearable to wear) and a t shirt was the day to day attire. These are like a HS reunion to my feet. Didnt wear the 501s however, next time. To me, they are the best looking jeans with a cowboy boot, still.
Pointed toe packers in brown oil tan?

WestLinn

Reaction score
Pointed toe packers in brown oil tan?
Mule Packers in pointed toe. I wanted to see how I liked the 695 last before I spent the extra $350 on the handmade version. The comfort is amazing but the pointed toe might not be for everyone, the look and the narrow toe box.

andy b.

Reaction score
Mule Packers in pointed toe. I wanted to see how I liked the 695 last before I spent the extra $350 on the handmade version. The comfort is amazing but the pointed toe might not be for everyone, the look and the narrow toe box.
My first Thoroughbred toe Packers were Whites. It was an adventure getting the sizing correct. For me, 1/2 length longer and one width narrower versus the standard Smokejumper works great. But each individual is different.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My first Thoroughbred toe Packers were Whites. It was an adventure getting the sizing correct. For me, 1/2 length longer and one width narrower versus the standard Smokejumper works great. But each individual is different.
Did you buy the packers from Baker’s?
Thanks

WestLinn

Reaction score
Whites packer sizing is a bit of an adventure for me. In the standard packer a 10.5 D is right but in the pointed toe I went with 11 E. They are a bit roomy but not at the expense of slipping and most boots I wear get snug after I’ve had them on for about four hours. In 55 Last 11 D is perfect.

andy b.

Reaction score
Did you buy the packers from Baker’s?
Thanks
The Packers were my first pair of Whites, and I ordered directly from Whites by sending in the foot tracings and going with their recommendation. The size was off, and I actually had them for a year of off and on wearing to see if maybe I just needed to get used to the fit. In the mean time I acquired a few other pairs of PNW boots (they didn't have 10 month wait times back then, LOL), and determined my correct size for "normal toe" boots.
I eventually gave my sob story to Whites, had a few discussions with one of the boot builders, and we went with the 1/2 size longer, 1 width narrower option. I offered to pay the $100 rebuild fee, and Whites replaced a lot more than $100 worth of labor and materials. I appreciated their customer service (as well as Bakers) and that's how I ended up with several pairs of Whites.

Every pair after that initial pair of Packers was through Bakers.

I can only relay my personal fit preference, but for me, in pointed toe boots, I just go 1/2 size longer and 1 width narrower than a standard toe version, and it always seems to work.

andy b.

Reaction score
Whites packer sizing is a bit of an adventure for me. In the standard packer a 10.5 D is right but in the pointed toe I went with 11 E. They are a bit roomy but not at the expense of slipping and most boots I wear get snug after I’ve had them on for about four hours. In 55 Last 11 D is perfect.
And this is an example where it would probably be beneficial if all of us pointy toe boot freaks also posted a photo of our feet. LOL
I bet you either have a long big toe, or pinky toe. For me, my big toe is what rubs more in the pointed toe style.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads