• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Boss engineers
Romeos
Warrens
Brown Axebreakers https://imgur.com/gallery/hrIaLh6
Black Axebreakers

Can't find my album of Wesco 7500 engineers in British Tan. Check out the IG pages. Wesco is worth it if you're tired of Whites QC and mistakes take the plunge it's definitely worth imo.

I think another good way of anecdotally determining a companies QC level is to look at what they reject. Wesco have a factory seconds section on their website, and whilst there are the usual assortment of boots with leather defects, scrapes, stains, etc., you can get a pretty good idea of the minimum level of QC Wesco aim for.

For example, this boot:

101446214_13110.jpg

Demoted to factory second status on the basis of "irregular outsole stitching right boot".

They're right, the stitching is a bit wonky. But I bet there are a lot of guys on here who have outsole stitching on their White's that's no better than that, and probably don't consider it a problem. And it is relatively minor, but it's not good enough for Wesco to ship to the end customer.

Or this pair:

101516323_13656.jpg

Relegated to seconds for "irregular lightweight upper stitching left upper".

Again, it is a little wonky. But, once again, I bet lots of people have boots that White's shipped as firsts with stitching no better than that; I think all of my White's have had areas of stitching that looked worse.

Like I say, there are some more blatant factory seconds on the Wesco site too, and they're not going to be 100% at catching every defect. But it shows the standard they aspire to, and at least the standard they set themselves seems pretty high. That won't guarantee you perfection every time, but at least Wesco seem to aim beyond simply, 'screw it, that'll do'.

Woodtroll

Reaction score
I think another good way of anecdotally determining a companies QC level is to look at what they reject. Wesco have a factory seconds section on their website, and whilst there are the usual assortment of boots with leather defects, scrapes, stains, etc., you can get a pretty good idea of the minimum level of QC Wesco aim for.

For example, this boot:

View attachment 1847281

Demoted to factory second status on the basis of "irregular outsole stitching right boot".

They're right, the stitching is a bit wonky. But I bet there are a lot of guys on here who have outsole stitching on their White's that's no better than that, and probably don't consider it a problem. And it is relatively minor, but it's not good enough for Wesco to ship to the end customer.

Or this pair:

View attachment 1847282

Relegated to seconds for "irregular lightweight upper stitching left upper".

Again, it is a little wonky. But, once again, I bet lots of people have boots that White's shipped as firsts with stitching no better than that; I think all of my White's have had areas of stitching that looked worse.

Like I say, there are some more blatant factory seconds on the Wesco site too, and they're not going to be 100% at catching every defect. But it shows the standard they aspire to, and at least the standard they set themselves seems pretty high. That won't guarantee you perfection every time, but at least Wesco seem to aim beyond simply, 'screw it, that'll do'.

I've seen the boots listed on Wesco's "Seconds" page, and like you I think some of the defects are pretty minor. I wonder, though, if most of these are culled by the factory before shipping, or are they returns sent back by customers? I'm not arguing with your assumption, but I've always wondered about this myself.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
I've seen the boots listed on Wesco's "Seconds" page, and like you I think some of the defects are pretty minor. I wonder, though, if most of these are culled by the factory before shipping, or are they returns sent back by customers? I'm not arguing with your assumption, but I've always wondered about this myself.
It's a good question, and I've wondered that too.

Most of the listings have a picture of the full boot, and then a close up of the defect.

I'm sure we've all taken our new pair of boots out of their box and noticed they've been a bit squashed inside the box, and usually take a few wears to shed their 'flattened out' look.

None of the listings on the site look like that though; they look to me like they've never seen the inside of a shoebox. Which makes me inclined to think they've simply been pulled-up on the way through QC.

Abe_Room

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm gonna take a picture of the defects I found on my boots, and y'all can tell me if you think any of these should have been accepted by QC or a customer.

Phalanx

Reaction score
And they fucked up the order.

Was supposed to be 8 eyes, not 6. And the White's logo is equally crooked on both sides. Who stamped that thinking it looked correct. It looks like ass. Rest of the boot is acceptable. I honestly don't know what to do at this point.
View attachment 1846395

Just asking a question (and I don't mean to come across as remotely dismissive) but I don't think I've ever seen a pair of SDs with 8 eyelets. Did they definitely say that they could do that (I tuned into this epic a little late it seems :p)?
If they can do 8 eyelets that would look seriously beautiful. Hope it all gets sorted out in the end.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Just asking a question (and I don't mean to come across as remotely dismissive) but I don't think I've ever seen a pair of SDs with 8 eyelets. Did they definitely say that they could do that (I tuned into this epic a little late it seems :p)?
If they can do 8 eyelets that would look seriously beautiful. Hope it all gets sorted out in the end.
Of course man, no worries.
Yes they can do it. I've seen a few dozen pairs since 2009, so not entirely common at all but they do in fact do it. Its a special request as is doing a cut 430 half sole these days, which mine has. Meaning, Kyle will put it in the order notes they send along to Whites. I can't remember which page, but not that long ago, someone posted a pic of a pair of green one with 8, and they look friggin awesome.

All sorted thanks to Kyle and his generosity. I'll wear the crap out of these for 6-8 months.

Hellraysaz

Reaction score
Saw some 8 eyelets semi-dress on Instagram too.

These by boots_brews_boutiquewatch are about as grail as you can get with White's. 8 eyelets semi-dress built on color 8 shell cordovan.

I would have gone with the regular heel myself(aka standard, cuban, logger, etc.) and would be intrigued by the newly announced possibility to get White's built on Stichdown construction

Here are some pics of said boots(not mine obviously)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.03.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.03.15 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 93
  • Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.03.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-22 at 9.03.46 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 94

iamntbatman

Reaction score
God those are pretty with 8 eyelets.

Last couple of pages are clearly illuminating. Other than fairly minor squeaks that I don't mind, my first-ever pair of White's were basically flawless. My MPs have some ugly outsole stitching that I just live with. Then my most recent Bounty Hunters are pretty much perfect (there was one weird nick in the olive waxed flesh that it was apparent they had tried to color in with some sort of green dye or marker that didn't quite match and didn't look great, but that has since disappeared into the overall patina). Rolling the dice on boots like this just ain't great.

@theofficialhung please don't post photos of charcoal roughout Wescos! That leather looks so damn amazing, but I already have so many roughout/waxed flesh boots that my first Wescos are going to be in smooth charcoal, but it's very tempting to get them in roughout. Since that thread seems to be dead: I'm getting packers, 10", smooth charcoal, mostly standard options. What I'm stuck on is: silver upper thread/white outsole thread with nickel hardware, or blacked out (black thread and hardware)? I think either one would look great so I can't decide. I'm also vaguely considering a soft toe.

Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk about eight eyelets makes me want to order pointed toe packers in dress leather and eight eyelets. I could definitely pull that off as a dress boot.
Well Black Friday is coming and I hope to get a small bonus 😊

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
want to order pointed toe packers in dress leather

Packers with a #2/semi-pointed toe are the final want for me. Nicks Max Support Walnut or Tan & Franks W&C English Bridle Chestnut or Tan are on my short list.
Not interested in JK or Wesco. JK is garbage & Wesco looks super ugly to me.

Lem87

Reaction score
Packers with a #2/semi-pointed toe are the final want for me. Nicks Max Support Walnut or Tan & Franks W&C English Bridle Chestnut or Tan are on my short list.
Not interested in JK or Wesco. JK is garbage & Wesco looks super ugly to me.
Anyone ever get baker's to order a lowered morrison heel? Motorcycle patrol is rediculously blocky and boss is as bulbous as bulbous comes. Cant believe wait times are longer than white's on the mtos. Its virtually enough to justify the price difference between the lace ups of both brands unless a specialty leather is involved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads