• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Properwawa

Reaction score
Wasn’t planning on using the false tongues that came with my most recent pair, so decided to make a watch strap from them. Also updating quickly with the boots. They’ve already taken me up a tree to rescue a cat. Good times!
C62ABC1A-AA8D-4522-8E8D-77530F4227D6.jpeg
077A76F4-4960-40BA-874E-D45C4CB43D0A.jpeg
FE1AD6AE-0098-4FAC-AB13-DC4B15AF90E8.jpeg
0FB0B605-E049-4ACE-8DDA-8392F9C3E02E.jpeg

DG123

Reaction score
It definitely sounds like there's an issue somewhere; consistently burning through heel caps after 10-12 miles would make owning boots completely unfeasible for most people.

Here are a few photos of a rubber heel cap with 10-12 miles of wear. Again, I am not "completely burning through heel caps".
As you may see in the last of the three photos, it's only the rear edge of the cap that quickly wears. The balance of the cap reveals essentially no wear:

IMG_0787.JPG IMG_0788.JPG IMG_0790.JPG

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Here are a few photos of a rubber heel cap with 10-12 miles of wear. Again, I am not "completely burning through heel caps".
As you may see in the last of the three photos, it's only the rear edge of the cap that quickly wears. The balance of the cap reveals essentially no wear:

View attachment 1734193 View attachment 1734194 View attachment 1734195
Have you tried a different shape heel? Something like a logger heel moves the rear edge of the heel slightly further forward, so the edge won't strike the ground at the point where most of the wear seems to be occurring on your heels.

Alternatively, have you experimented with different makes of heel cap? I think if you asked most manufacturers if their heel caps were only intended to last 10-12 miles, they'd tell you you should expect an order of magnitude more life than that.

Obviously, just carry on as you are if you're happy with what you're doing, but needing to get my boots re-heeled every 10-12 miles would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.

DG123

Reaction score
Have you tried a different shape heel? Something like a logger heel moves the rear edge of the heel slightly further forward, so the edge won't strike the ground at the point where most of the wear seems to be occurring on your heels.

Alternatively, have you experimented with different makes of heel cap? I think if you asked most manufacturers if their heel caps were only intended to last 10-12 miles, they'd tell you you should expect an order of magnitude more life than that.

Obviously, just carry on as you are if you're happy with what you're doing, but needing to get my boots re-heeled every 10-12 miles would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.

If I can learn my size in a White's Semi Dress model I will probably try wearing a pair of those with its stock logger heel.
Makers of heel cap for a standard block heel, orthopedic Thomas heel etc... don't matter. Rubber is rubber and if the heel is striking the pavement where mine do the back edge of the rubber will deteriorate.

I am not "happy" about the situation but one dances with whom he brung. Regarding "deal breaker", I prefer quality footwear to disposable junk shoes/boots, so that means replacing rubber heel caps.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
If I can learn my size in a White's Semi Dress model I will probably try wearing a pair of those with its stock logger heel.
Makers of heel cap for a standard block heel, orthopedic Thomas heel etc... don't matter. Rubber is rubber and if the heel is striking the pavement where mine do the back edge of the rubber will deteriorate.
I wouldn't necessarily say 'rubber is rubber'; pure rubber (i.e. latex) wouldn't last very long as an outsole, so pretty much every manufacturer uses some form of compound to deliver the properties they want. The V100 sole, for example, is made of rubber compound just like the honey V100, but the honey sole is a different compound that's intentionally softer, and thus wears quicker.

From experience, the compounds Dainite and Dr Sole use are notably harder wearing that the compounds Vibram use on their 705 heels, or that Itshide use on their commando heel. It's definitely worth experimenting.
I am not "happy" about the situation but one dances with whom he brung. Regarding "deal breaker", I prefer quality footwear to disposable junk shoes/boots, so that means replacing rubber heel caps.
Sure, but the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive; you should be able to buy quality footwear that gives you more than 10-12 miles of wear before requiring repair. In fact, I'd struggle to even consider the footwear I was wearing to be 'quality' if I could only get 3-4 hours of walking out of them before needing to get them repaired.

I think that's the point; getting only 10-12 miles of wear out of a set of heel caps isn't normal for quality footwear.

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Wasn’t planning on using the false tongues that came with my most recent pair, so decided to make a watch strap from them. Also updating quickly with the boots. They’ve already taken me up a tree to rescue a cat. Good times!
View attachment 1734183 View attachment 1734184 View attachment 1734185 View attachment 1734186
You do leatherwork? Great job on that strap pairs nice with the Hammy. The patina on those navy horse chonkers is coming along very nicely.

DG123

Reaction score
I wouldn't necessarily say 'rubber is rubber'; pure rubber (i.e. latex) wouldn't last very long as an outsole, so pretty much every manufacturer uses some form of compound to deliver the properties they want. The V100 sole, for example, is made of rubber compound just like the honey V100, but the honey sole is a different compound that's intentionally softer, and thus wears quicker.

From experience, the compounds Dainite and Dr Sole use are notably harder wearing that the compounds Vibram use on their 705 heels, or that Itshide use on their commando heel. It's definitely worth experimenting.

Sure, but the two shouldn't be mutually exclusive; you should be able to buy quality footwear that gives you more than 10-12 miles of wear before requiring repair. In fact, I'd struggle to even consider the footwear I was wearing to be 'quality' if I could only get 3-4 hours of walking out of them before needing to get them repaired.

I think that's the point; getting only 10-12 miles of wear out of a set of heel caps isn't normal for quality footwear.

Dainite is exceptionally hard and long lasting, which is one of the primary reasons it is popular. I've worn Dainite soles and the back edge of the heel maintains a bit longer than other heel rubber, but no significant difference.
Good for you not having any issue with the wear of your rubber heels. Nobody said or implied it was "normal" to have excessive heel wear but some people deal with it.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Dainite is exceptionally hard and long lasting, which is one of the primary reasons it is popular. I've worn Dainite soles and the back edge of the heel maintains a bit longer than other heel rubber, but no significant difference.
Good for you not having any issue with the wear of your rubber heels. Nobody said or implied it was "normal" to have excessive heel wear but some people deal with it.
Sure, I'm not criticising you (apologies if that's how it came across), merely trying to put forward suggestions. Replacing heels every 10-12 miles must be hugely expensive for you, and I was just throwing some ideas out.

Properwawa

Reaction score
You do leatherwork? Great job on that strap pairs nice with the Hammy. The patina on those navy horse chonkers is coming along very nicely.
Thanks a bunch! I’m just a self taught hobbyist, making whatever catches my fancy. Leather working is very calming to me. This horse rump shows everything in a very cool way!

klank74

Reaction score
View attachment 1734183 View attachment 1734184 View attachment 1734185 View attachment 1734186
Beautiful job on the watch strap! I’ve been thinking about getting into leather work as a hobby. Any suggestions for getting started? Love those boots too. Yours have inspired me to finally try a pair of whites with the wedge sole. My feet require the swing last as well. I’m trying to decide between black horse hide or going for total comfort and getting black cxl.

Properwawa

Reaction score
Beautiful job on the watch strap! I’ve been thinking about getting into leather work as a hobby. Any suggestions for getting started? Love those boots too. Yours have inspired me to finally try a pair of whites with the wedge sole. My feet require the swing last as well. I’m trying to decide between black horse hide or going for total comfort and getting black cxl.
Thanks a bunch for the kind words! If I recall, when I started out I ordered the basic tools like small pieces or straps of leather, needles, thread, punches and stitching chisels from online stores such as Rocky Mountain leather supply, OA leather supply and a few more. I didn’t do the starter kits as many of the tools overlap with day to day things I had at home already, just found decent starter quality tools for what I needed. YouTube and Instagram are a goldmine for instructions and tutorials. Then just have fun and improvise!

Can’t say I’m any expert, and having owned boots in both leathers, have been pretty happy with both. When the Maryam horse butt breaks in, it’s actually just as comfortable for me as cxl. I’d say pick whichever one makes you slightly happier lol. The wedge sole is definitely more comfortable for standing for long periods of time, but grip is crap on snow as you can imagine!

Last edited:

DG123

Reaction score
In general, every time I think I know more about boots than the maker, and try to deviate from the "default" without a really good reason, I regret it... the default is the default for a reason.

Good Luck!

I think the same thing when I see some of the aftermarket wheels people have installed on their cars and trucks.

imwalker

Reaction score
Wow those look amazing. What leather? I don't own enough different pairs to do something so wild but those look crazy good. Do you have on-foot photos?

klank74

Reaction score
Thanks a bunch for the kind words! If I recall, when I started out I ordered the basic tools like small pieces or straps of leather, needles, thread, punches and stitching chisels from online stores such as Rocky Mountain leather supply, OA leather supply and a few more. I didn’t do the starter kits as many of the tools overlap with day to day things I had at home already, just found decent starter quality tools for what I needed. YouTube and Instagram are a goldmine for instructions and tutorials. Then just have fun and improvise!

Can’t say I’m any expert, and having owned boots in both leathers, have been pretty happy with both. When the Maryam horse butt breaks in, it’s actually just as comfortable for me as cxl. I’d say pick whichever one makes you slightly happier lol. The wedge sole is definitely more comfortable for standing for long periods of time, but grip is crap on snow as you can imagine!
Thanks, that’s basically what I was looking for, just where to get started and figure out what I need.

I’ve owned several pairs of wedge sole boots from redwing and thorogood in the past. The thorogoods have put me on my but a few times in the snow. How is the impact absorption of that wedge sole? That’s my main issue with my whites right now. The balls of my feet feel bruised after a full day on my feet. I’ve even tried some Spenco foam inserts, but They only help a little bit.

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s basically what I was looking for, just where to get started and figure out what I need.

I’ve owned several pairs of wedge sole boots from redwing and thorogood in the past. The thorogoods have put me on my but a few times in the snow. How is the impact absorption of that wedge sole? That’s my main issue with my whites right now. The balls of my feet feel bruised after a full day on my feet. I’ve even tried some Spenco foam inserts, but They only help a little bit.

I've recently taken delivery of my first pair of 55 last White's with the Vibram 2060 crepe sole, and I have to say it's pretty damn comfortable. I tend to prefer thinner soles to promote flexibility in the mid/forefoot, so some of my favorite offerings from White's are a single leather sole with topy, the Vibram 269 Western, and I would actually prefer if the commando half sole didn't require the addition of the half-thickness leather midsole...But anyways, it does seem like I'll be giving up some of that flexibility that i love with this wedge sole configuration, but it may be too soon to tell, and maybe it doesn't matter since the sole itself is so much cushier. Another drawback as you've mentioned is winter conditions...I think maybe the only thing worse than a normal wedge sole in winter would be an unprotected leather sole. I do think it's worth noting that Vibram has a range of "Arctic Grip" wedge soles specifically meant for snow and ice, which I would love to try, but haven't quite found the right opportunity. Rancourt builds a winter boot with it, which I might get if they offered an E width... Rancourt Freeman Boot I also don't know if that sole is like winter tires on your car where they wouldn't be suitable for use in the Summer but since it seems like most of us in this thread have fairly deep rotations, again, maybe that also doesn't matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads