• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Yes exactly.
Once trickers start making their £ 450 shoes by hand, this will a great opportunity to compare it to whites.
'By hand' isn't an arbiter of quality.

Most of White's handsewn line, however, retails for closer to £600 in the UK, and if I had to pick between my White's and my Tricker's for consistency of QC and general finishing, it's Tricker's every time.

That's not a criticism of White's; Tricker's literally make dress shoes for royalty. Complaining that White's finishing isn't as good as Tricker's would be like complaining that Tricker's don't make logging boots; they're different brands filling a different need.

wordfool

Reaction score
What's the "recommended" place to buy Iron hearts?
Thanks

Anywhere that sells 'em! I bought mine variously at Self Edge (in NYC), Franklin & Poe (online), and Dutil Denim (online). Once I'd found the styles that fit me best in person (at Self Edge where I bought my first pair) I just hunted for the cheapest online source that had my size in stock.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unequivocally, Iron Heart.
@chicagoan2016 this is super important to consider as you go through your Raw Denim journey. Finding places to buy from that offer returns vs store credit can be its own chore. Start with measuring your current favorite pair and then use those measurements to see if you can find a pair close. I suggest looking at sanforized denim first instead of trying to shrink into your desired fit. As someone who has worn 7s for longer than I'd like to admit, I hope you have better luck finding a pair of raws that are similar. Also remember that your 7s are vanity sized, raw denim will not be.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, anyone want to take a stab at Bounty Hunter sizing advice for my really weird feet? Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been chipping away at reading this thread in my limited spare time, so apologies in advance if all this stuff has been covered...

Anyway, I'm a 14b on a Brannock, high arch, low instep, looong and thick big toe, narrow heel and ankle. Overall low volume. Foot is precisely 12" long standing on a ruler.

I have a pair of Whites MP M1 in size 12 that fit excellent for volume, 2nd best out of box fit I've ever had. Would like a bit more big toe space but they're pretty good, I can wear them all day.

Other boots to compare:

Viberg 2030 size 12: too tight for my toes, pushed my big toe over and squished the top, bit too short, ok but not great fit otherwise.

Red wing iron ranger size 12: Ok fit, bit loose in the ankle, had to lace them pretty tight, length was fine until they were heavily broken in then my toes started hitting the ends.

My beloved Red Wing work boots https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/SuperSole-2.0-02414.html?cgid=work : They're 13b and by far the best fitting pair of anything I've ever put my feet in. Like big heavy slippers ;-) If they weren't so big, heavy and ugly I'd just wear them everywhere.

Kyle (Bakers) recommended 12.5c for bounty Hunters. How does the 55 last compare to the MP for length? Would a 13b give me a bit more length "insurance"? I know I'm agonizing, I've just had too many pairs of shoes and boots get shorter as they break in and end up being too short. I know the extra arch support will make my foot shorter so maybe 12.5c would be ideal?

What about something like the swing last in a 13b? Apparently it has a narrow fit but lots of big toe space?

The makeup I'd be going with would be no toe cap, no celastic and single row stitching. My only hesitation with the swing last is the "clown shoe" effect, but I'm thinking the long narrow last and no toe cap might help?

Tldr: Want Bounty Hunters that fit like my size 12 MP's but with more arch support, more big toe space and a half size more length.

I really appreciate any and all guidance!

Freaky shaped foot for reference:

IMG_20211011_180808.jpg

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
@Percivilla - you are a 14(b) Brannock length and wear a size 12 in Whites (MP)??

My Brannock size is 12.5C and I wear a 12D in the 55 last (all PNW makers) and the same in the MP (modified Barrie last).

When you say that you would like "more big toe space" we need more info. Too short? Too narrow so youre toes are bunched up and pushing against the sides? Im guessing you need to go up half a length but it would be helpful if got a solid Brannock size with your favorite boot socks on.

wordfool

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, anyone want to take a stab at Bounty Hunter sizing advice for my really weird feet? Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been chipping away at reading this thread in my limited spare time, so apologies in advance if all this stuff has been covered...

Anyway, I'm a 14b on a Brannock, high arch, low instep, looong and thick big toe, narrow heel and ankle. Overall low volume. Foot is precisely 12" long standing on a ruler.

I have a pair of Whites MP M1 in size 12 that fit excellent for volume, 2nd best out of box fit I've ever had. Would like a bit more big toe space but they're pretty good, I can wear them all day.

Other boots to compare:

Viberg 2030 size 12: too tight for my toes, pushed my big toe over and squished the top, bit too short, ok but not great fit otherwise.

Red wing iron ranger size 12: Ok fit, bit loose in the ankle, had to lace them pretty tight, length was fine until they were heavily broken in then my toes started hitting the ends.

My beloved Red Wing work boots https://www.redwingshoes.com/work/SuperSole-2.0-02414.html?cgid=work : They're 13b and by far the best fitting pair of anything I've ever put my feet in. Like big heavy slippers ;-) If they weren't so big, heavy and ugly I'd just wear them everywhere.

Kyle (Bakers) recommended 12.5c for bounty Hunters. How does the 55 last compare to the MP for length? Would a 13b give me a bit more length "insurance"? I know I'm agonizing, I've just had too many pairs of shoes and boots get shorter as they break in and end up being too short. I know the extra arch support will make my foot shorter so maybe 12.5c would be ideal?

What about something like the swing last in a 13b? Apparently it has a narrow fit but lots of big toe space?

The makeup I'd be going with would be no toe cap, no celastic and single row stitching. My only hesitation with the swing last is the "clown shoe" effect, but I'm thinking the long narrow last and no toe cap might help?

Tldr: Want Bounty Hunters that fit like my size 12 MP's but with more arch support, more big toe space and a half size more length.

Your foot does look a bit “38 Swing” shaped, although not full-on duck shaped! Our resident duck-foot Swing Aficionado, @Legal Eagles would probably be able to offer more advice on that last.

I’m a 10.5C in the 55 last with widish toes, scrawny heels/ankles and generally lowish volume feet. I was sized 10C in the MP last, but they were a smidge too small on my larger foot, not helped by the very slightly narrower ball/toe area of that last (I’ve since sold them). So the half size larger Kyle suggested for you in the 55 last sounds about right. Going down to a b width might not work because the 55 last does not have quite as bulbous a toe as my Iron Rangers.

If in doubt, try-on pairs might be a worthwhile investment.

ThreeLions

Reaction score

Other boots to compare:

View attachment 1683706

Wow, and here I was thinking I was unique. I’m also 14B brannock. My first pair of Whites were 12D smokejumpers (the real NFPA soft toe fire boots). They fit great.

I’ve probably got 7 or 8 pairs of whites now and they’re in various lasts and sizes. My most recent are on the 4811 last and in size 12 ½ C. This is probably my ideal fit. Listen to Kyle.

The only proviso that I would add is about the 5050 last. I have those in size 12D and they are a bit too small. I should have got 12 ½ D in that last.

Dont get the swing last. Your feet are too narrow. Plus…. Those things look like ridiculous clown shoes!!!! Sorry all, I couldn’t resist.

Percivilla

Reaction score
@Percivilla - you are a 14(b) Brannock length and wear a size 12 in Whites (MP)??

My Brannock size is 12.5C and I wear a 12D in the 55 last (all PNW makers) and the same in the MP (modified Barrie last).

When you say that you would like "more big toe space" we need more info. Too short? Too narrow so youre toes are bunched up and pushing against the sides? Im guessing you need to go up half a length but it would be helpful if got a solid Brannock size with your favorite boot socks on.

Yep, 14 on the Brannock. I suppose I'd like more big toe space above and beside. I'd say I'm pushing the boundaries of fitting my MP's so my toe is getting to the part that rounds in for the tip of the toe. It's not hitting the end, but it's being scrunched just a little especially when walking off road.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Your foot does look a bit “38 Swing” shaped, although not full-on duck shaped! Our resident duck-foot Swing Aficionado, @Legal Eagles would probably be able to offer more advice on that last.

I’m a 10.5C in the 55 last with widish toes, scrawny heels/ankles and generally lowish volume feet. I was sized 10C in the MP last, but they were a smidge too small on my larger foot, not helped by the very slightly narrower ball/toe area of that last (I’ve since sold them). So the half size larger Kyle suggested for you in the 55 last sounds about right. Going down to a b width might not work because the 55 last does not have quite as bulbous a toe as my Iron Rangers.

If in doubt, try-on pairs might be a worthwhile investment.

Yeah, B may be a step too far as my MP's in a 12d are plenty snug across the ball.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Wow, and here I was thinking I was unique. I’m also 14B brannock. My first pair of Whites were 12D smokejumpers (the real NFPA soft toe fire boots). They fit great.

I’ve probably got 7 or 8 pairs of whites now and they’re in various lasts and sizes. My most recent are on the 4811 last and in size 12 ½ C. This is probably my ideal fit. Listen to Kyle.

The only proviso that I would add is about the 5050 last. I have those in size 12D and they are a bit too small. I should have got 12 ½ D in that last.

Dont get the swing last. Your feet are too narrow. Plus…. Those things look like ridiculous clown shoes!!!! Sorry all, I couldn’t resist.

Holy moly, there are others like me?!

Really appreciate the insight!

How would you compare the 5050 and 4811?

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Holy moly, there are others like me?!

Really appreciate the insight!

How would you compare the 5050 and 4811?

the 4811 has higher arches and more toe room when compared to the 5050. It also appears less sleek. It’s definitely a chunkier boot.

My (not so humble) opinion is that the 55 last results in the best looking boot, but the 4811 is the most comfortable. Your mileage may vary.

Phalanx

Reaction score
My only hesitation with the swing last is the "clown shoe" effect

Take it from a guy who's also a 14 on a brannock device; you already have clown shoes :p

14B on a brannock, but wearing 12 seems like a pretty big downsize. I'm 14B (but with duck-feet) and I've been sized for a combo-last 13E/D. Vibergs fit me in size 13 and Red Wings would fit me in a size 13 if they weren't so narrow in the toebox. The best fitting pair of boots i have are a pair of Loake 13G (UK) boots, which would be more like 14E in the US.

Good luck.

Percivilla

Reaction score
the 4811 has higher arches and more toe room when compared to the 5050. It also appears less sleek. It’s definitely a chunkier boot.

My (not so humble) opinion is that the 55 last results in the best looking boot, but the 4811 is the most comfortable. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, the 4811 definitely has a pronounced toe. That's new mind you, so it'll collapse in with time I suppose.

Percivilla

Reaction score
Take it from a guy who's also a 14 on a brannock device; you already have clown shoes :p

14B on a brannock, but wearing 12 seems like a pretty big downsize. I'm 14B (but with duck-feet) and I've been sized for a combo-last 13E/D. Vibergs fit me in size 13 and Red Wings would fit me in a size 13 if they weren't so narrow in the toebox. The best fitting pair of boots i have are a pair of Loake 13G (UK) boots, which would be more like 14E in the US.

Good luck.

Yeah, as I've gotten older I've come to just embrace my lanky build and long feet. I'm 38 6'5" and 195lbs so not exactly a power lifter build ;-)

The 12 MP's have quite a bit if length. I wear Costco merino wool socks in them and my toes don't hit the end even when I crouch down on the balls of my feet. Definitely no extra toe wiggle room though.

My issue is that my Heel to Ball of foot size is more like an 11, but my toes are a mile long...

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In case anyone is in need a kick-ass pair of black oxfords (...or derbies, not oxfords), size 10D on the C461 last. Size of the fit is comparable to the 55 imo, I wear the same size on both lasts. These were mine originally, absolutely nothing wrong with them, just wanted dual row stitching instead.

Good opportunity to pick them up on sale

White's Oxford 300 Size: 10D (bakershoe.com)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads