• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Work boot maintenance this weekend.

Saddle Soap, Lexol & some Lincoln’s Wax. All ready to get ruined again tomorrow ?

2CB8A89F-FB3F-482A-9AD1-0328D8F0DB89.jpeg 426FF275-96A2-491F-A7F3-F3653748A6AD.jpeg B08B2812-DD4E-40DA-997B-15A85D295C5E.jpeg 56963B29-FD95-4076-8BDD-8A7763C17CE7.jpeg

RockyMountain22

Reaction score
Question guys. I’m really struggling with the break in of my Whites work boots. I’m a diesel mechanic and stand/walk on concrete all day. I have one pair with a double midsole/honey vibram sole, and another with a single midsole and the Vibram 430. After wearing them for a full day at work, my feet are killing me. The bottoms of my feet, right behind my toes, almost feel bruised. The rest of my foot feels fine. I usually have to switch back to my old wedge sole work boots (thorogoods) for a few days before attempting to wear my Whites again. It’s definitely not as bad with the single midsole boots, I assume because their more flexible right out of the gate. The double midsoles are brutal though. Will this get better as they continue to break in, or is it just a byproduct of me being 40 and over weight finally catching up with me? I haven’t experienced this issue with my other Whites that I wear casually as they broke in. I forgot to add that I’ve had the pair with double midsoles since spring and the single midsole pair since the end of July. Break in is taking forever though since I have to take such long breaks in between wears.

klank74--

On week 3 of breaking in another double midsole pair (non-Whites), mostly spending time in our office, around the house and various shopping errands.

Can state definitively there is a difference between that type time and laboring in them.

Spent a good number of hours working on the property yesterday, landscaping, chainsawing and general preparation for colder weather. Lots of up and down, carrying weight and squatting movements.

Experienced some new pains across the bend line in the toe/ball area for about half an hour, then subsided. Yesterday was the real work christening of this pair, so not entirely surprised there was still some stiffness and break in pains [for reference, 6 foot 4 tall, 245 pounds and 40+].

Keep us posted on your break in progress.

Cheers,

klank74

Reaction score
klank74--

On week 3 of breaking in another double midsole pair (non-Whites), mostly spending time in our office, around the house and various shopping errands.

Can state definitively there is a difference between that type time and laboring in them.

Spent a good number of hours working on the property yesterday, landscaping, chainsawing and general preparation for colder weather. Lots of up and down, carrying weight and squatting movements.

Experienced some new pains across the bend line in the toe/ball area for about half an hour, then subsided. Yesterday was the real work christening of this pair, so not entirely surprised there was still some stiffness and break in pains [for reference, 6 foot 4 tall, 245 pounds and 40+].

Keep us posted on your break in progress.

Cheers,
Thanks. That helps knowing that it’s not just me then. I think that I just tried to push it to hard, to soon. I was kinda in a hurry to get them broken in as my old work boots are hanging on by a thread. I think maybe I’ll try just wearing them first thing in the morning and then changing into something with some cushion at my lunch breaks. I broke down and ordered some Redback Great Barriers to hopefully get me through the break in period for my Whites. I figure they’ll make good yard/house work boots once they’ve served their purpose at work.

I did email Bakers about the issue and Brandon responded back saying the problem might go away after break in, or it may not…hard to say. He recommended maybe trying some Spenco RX insoles just for some padding, but I’m not so sure I’d have enough room for them.

I’ll be sure to update as things progress.

The Nid Hog

Reaction score
Thanks. That helps knowing that it’s not just me then. I think that I just tried to push it to hard, to soon. I was kinda in a hurry to get them broken in as my old work boots are hanging on by a thread. I think maybe I’ll try just wearing them first thing in the morning and then changing into something with some cushion at my lunch breaks. I broke down and ordered some Redback Great Barriers to hopefully get me through the break in period for my Whites. I figure they’ll make good yard/house work boots once they’ve served their purpose at work.

I did email Bakers about the issue and Brandon responded back saying the problem might go away after break in, or it may not…hard to say. He recommended maybe trying some Spenco RX insoles just for some padding, but I’m not so sure I’d have enough room for them.

I’ll be sure to update as things progress.

Whenever I'm breaking in a new pair of shoes or doing anything else that adds an unusual amount of stress to my feet, I make a point to stretch them at the end of the day. I have a couple of old lacrosse balls that I keep around for this, but you can use anything that's fairly hard--you can even buy special hard rubber balls from places like Rogue. Just put one on the floor and use it to work on the sole of your foot while you're standing. You can vary the pressure depending on what's comfortable for you. I think it's really effective in working out potential problems. If you have time, do it in the morning before you put your boots on again.

climbinglife

Reaction score
Had a local shop overstretch my right boot after I was experiencing a little rubbing on my pinky toe. Asked him to go easy and NOT spray it and he did anyway and now the whole forefoot is wider. It's noticeable if your staring at them but not if its a glance. I have to tighten them pretty hard to not get heel slip and wishy washy feeling when walking.

Any ideas, or am ********?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had a local shop overstretch my right boot after I was experiencing a little rubbing on my pinky toe. Asked him to go easy and NOT spray it and he did anyway and now the whole forefoot is wider. It's noticeable if your staring at them but not if its a glance. I have to tighten them pretty hard to not get heel slip and wishy washy feeling when walking.

That's a bummer! Thicker socks (79%Merino) from darn tough might help ?

theofficialhung

Reaction score

Water shrinks leather. Try soaking the boots in warm water, then letting them completely dry out. Rinse and repeat (pun intended).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics