• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
Update:

Baker's got in touch with me re: progress on my Black Friday boots. Turns out that, sadly for me, Dr. Sole simply doesn't make a sole big enough for my 11E foot (at least, not on the 55 last with standard trim). Pretty bummed out as I was very keen to try their soles out, and I thought the color would've been a perfect match for Olive Waxed Flesh. But, you can't argue with physical reality. Oh well. I'll just get something more standard put on them and see if I can get some more interesting soles put on them sometime down the road if more sizes become available.

Attachments

• IMG_2257.jpeg
    IMG_2257.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 102

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Once you do it a few times, it only takes a couple of seconds. Folding it this way does keep the shape and elastic at the top end forever intact
I exaggerate too but I think you would beat me! A couple of seconds?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update:

Baker's got in touch with me re: progress on my Black Friday boots. Turns out that, sadly for me, Dr. Sole simply doesn't make a sole big enough for my 11E foot (at least, not on the 55 last with standard trim). Pretty bummed out as I was very keen to try their soles out, and I thought the color would've been a perfect match for Olive Waxed Flesh. But, you can't argue with physical reality. Oh well. I'll just get something more standard put on them and see if I can get some more interesting soles put on them sometime down the road if more sizes become available.
What size is that 1/2 sole?

smartbrother

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand sole sizes as they apparently differ from shoe sizes, but these are a size 15 half sole and Dr. Sole doesn't make a 16.

The full soles run wider if you're still interested in something from Dr Sole. The half soles are all like 10mm narrower than the equivalent size full sole unfortunately.

iamntbatman

Reaction score
The full soles run wider if you're still interested in something from Dr Sole. The half soles are all like 10mm narrower than the equivalent size full sole unfortunately.

Nah, none of their full soles really spoke to me. The green is too loud, the cork ones don't have any tread pattern, I don't want a wedge sole on these, and the standard Supergrip or raw cord full soles aren't so interesting to me that I'd risk ordering even more only to have them not work for some reason. Plus I was asked to "please select a stock White's sole" so I think they're as over taking risks on these boots as I am and just want to get them finished and shipped.

I couldn't tell from the photos if the double midsole I requested had already been put on, so I asked for the Vibram 705 Half Comp sole if possible, or if it was too late with the double midsole already there, then the 269.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Interesting that you went with the same size as with 55 last - since I have heard from several folks that 5050 last is quite narrow even compared to MP (Barrie) last. And I also recalled Baker's reply on IG: () "no, you want to go down a half size and out a width."

And to add to the confusion someone replied to this comment with: "wear the same size on the 5050 and 55 last. I own 1 pair of Stevens in the 5050 last and 3 boots in the 55 last so I'm pretty familiar with them."

:) :)

I hadn't heard any advice from Baker's by the time I ordered my boots, I just based things on the fact that I'm the same size in my 55 boots as my Barrie (or whatever the official name is) lasted boots. They fit exactly like I thought they would, but I don't know if everybody would have the same experience

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two months ago, I sent my SDs to Bakers for a 430 resole. I just got them back yesterday. I haven't had a chance to wear them, but so far I am happy. The work seems very good. The only nit is that I have brown CXL with brown edge and wheat stitching and it looks like they got brown edge dressing on some areas of the wheat stitching. It's a minor nit and I'm ok with it. I'll see if some scrubbing will remove it. I'll hopefully get to take a 1.5 mile walk later today so I can validate. Cost was $170 which included the return shipping. My shipping to them was about $23 if I recall so about $184 total.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two months ago, I sent my SDs to Bakers for a 430 resole. I just got them back yesterday. I haven't had a chance to wear them, but so far I am happy. The work seems very good. The only nit is that I have brown CXL with brown edge and wheat stitching and it looks like they got brown edge dressing on some areas of the wheat stitching. It's a minor nit and I'm ok with it. I'll see if some scrubbing will remove it. I'll hopefully get to take a 1.5 mile walk later today so I can validate. Cost was $170 which included the return shipping. My shipping to them was about $23 if I recall so about $184 total.
Did they come back with double-row stitching?

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
update - outside of the new sole needing some break-in time, everything checks out fine. Very happy with the work, the price, and given the current situation, the 2-month turnaround. Now back to waiting for my yet-to-be-made Maryam horsebut BHs :)

js0930

Reaction score
Just got my boots. Ordered January 11th, for anyone wondering about current turn around times. Picked them up at Baker’s in person. They mentioned fire season ordering is not that far off, so lead times are definitely going to get worse.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I got my White's Perry Moc Toe in the mail today and as promised, here is my initial thoughts (spoiler: I have a lot):

First impressions of these boots were "wow, these are great looking." Moc Toes are not necessarily the most attractive boot by any means but these are seriously beautiful boots. I purchased these in the Red Dog color way and I've included pictures so you can see that they are definitely more brown than red, with a reddish hue. Kind of like an old brick building once mold sets in, but in an attractive way. A+ for looks.

The next thing of course was how does the leather feel? My favorite pair of Moc Toes I've owned thus far have been Thorogoods, which I know are often praised for the leather being fairly soft out of the box, but I never really liked that aspect of them, it's always felt too soft for me. Same thing with the Thorogood soles, they just are a touch too spongy for me. The leather on these is stiff but doesn't feel brittle, merely substantial.

Now of course, you probably all want to know how do they feel on your feet. Welp, they feel amazing. Seriously, the combination of the Ortholite insole, supportiveness on your ankle of the upper while still being flexible, and the hardness of the Vibram Christy crepe sole means that they were comfortable instantly. I've never had a pair of quality boots be this comfortable right out of the box. With most boots, especially any work boot I have had some break in period because it's not possible to wear them all day right out of the box. These ones you really can. I wore them all day and didn't want to take them off. They were as comfortable than the Thorogoods or Red Wing moc toes I have owned after the break in period and so I can only imagine how it will be over time.

It is worth noting that I do not work in the trades or any sort of manual labor. These are boots I will be wearing for casual use and just general **** kicking. I highly recommend these if you just need a casual moc toe boot. If you work in a warehouse, retail, carpentry, any sort of casual business where you don't need certain protections but are on your feet all day I would say these are a great pick.

If you work a heavy duty job your mileage may vary as they do not yet have drop or fire protection certifications on this model. I do not believe they have EH or CSA cert either. However, I do know that they are coming out with a steel toe variant at some point and considering who the competition in moc toes is I am sure the other things will come too. If you require any of those things for a job site and like moc toes I would hold off on buying these till a more "work" oriented version is released.

TL;DR these boots look great, they feel great, buy them if you're feeling them

tempImageImZBOG.jpg
tempImageiPEKyS.jpg
tempImageeNL151.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads