• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I mentioned this last year year and want to reiterate: Bridgedale socks from Ireland are insanely good. I've been using them for about 20 years for climbing in all seasons, hiking, and trail running. Now I also use them as my regular boot socks, and a couple of pairs have become pandemic house slippers. I have never worn out a pair.

In contrast, when I bought a pair of Smartwools I wore holes in them within one season.

I've similarly good experience with Patagonia socks, but they haven't had a consistent sock program from year to year, so if you like something you may not be able to get it again.

Like a lot of companies, Bridgedale has too many product lines, and isn't great at explaining the differences. But I've found no other faults.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mentioned this last year year and want to reiterate: Bridgedale socks from Ireland are insanely good. I've been using them for about 20 years for climbing in all seasons, hiking, and trail running. Now I also use them as my regular boot socks, and a couple of pairs have become pandemic house slippers. I have never worn out a pair.

In contrast, when I bought a pair of Smartwools I wore holes in them within one season.

I've similarly good experience with Patagonia socks, but they haven't had a consistent sock program from year to year, so if you like something you may not be able to get it again.

Like a lot of companies, Bridgedale has too many product lines, and isn't great at explaining the differences. But I've found no other faults.
I was so excited! I thought they were from the Republic of Ireland!

Bronco68

Reaction score
Cool cool. Dryers are not common where I live and I haven't used one in seven years. I usually hand-wash my wool socks with wool shampoo and line dry them, but sometimes I get lazy and toss them in the washing machine on cold. So far, so good, but I was wondering if dryers would wreck them. I assumed so but wasn't sure.

No they do not. I have been wearing Darn Tough socks for years and I’ve followed their cleaning instructions from the beginning without any problems. I turn them inside out, was them in cold water on delicate cycle, then place them in the dryer on low heat. This past Saturday I wore the first pair I ever bought while doing yard work.

These are the same cleaning instructions WoolX issues on their merino wool base layers.

I know Darn Tough has a lifetime guarantee, but even if my first pair failed after wearing them roughly 1,000 times then I feel I’ve gotten every Penney’s worth out of them. I would feel like a cheap, chintzy bastard if I returned them expecting my money back or a new pair. It’s nice to know that Darn Tough is that confident in their product to offer a lifetime guarantee...even though I personally wouldn’t exercise the option as I wouldn’t want to contribute to the possible demise of an American company making a quality product made in the USA.

We were all wrong. According to Darn Tough’s website, they should be washed in warm water.

Attachments

• CA898BA0-2636-4DF0-AAD0-76E08FACF92F.png
    CA898BA0-2636-4DF0-AAD0-76E08FACF92F.png
    204.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s nice to know that Darn Tough is that confident in their product to offer a lifetime guarantee...even though I personally wouldn’t exercise the option as I wouldn’t want to contribute to the possible demise of an American company making a quality product made in the USA.
Dude! I would have bought you lunch if you were nearby. I always try to buy American products.

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Which size did you opt for compared to boots on 55 last?

I went with the same size I get in my 55 lasted boots, and they feel basically the same. There's a slight bit more toe room in the 55 boots, but I may just be imagining that.

One thing I will say that I find a little strange, is with the commando sole. I have the commando sole on a pair of Main Streets and it still feels like I'm walking with a 2x4 on my foot, even though they're well broken in. Doesn't flex very much when I take a step, feels clunkier than my other boots with different soles. The commando on these new boots doesn't do that at all. Steps don't feel clunky, there's a nice smooth transition from heel to toe. I originally thought the clunkiness was due to the commando sole, but maybe it's more to do with the way the Main Streets are made.

paulraphael

Reaction score
I air dry my wool/synthetic blend socks. Same with my synthetic base layer clothes and fleece, and all button-up shirts. Even if the care instructions say they're machine-dryable, things last a lot longer if you keep them out of the dryer. These days I only use the dryer for t-shirts, underwear, everyday socks, towels, etc.

Rymanocerous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone suppose an old pair of MP’s could be rebuilt on the 50/50 last?
I doubt it. The combo last adds volume and is taller, and chunkier overall. Its not truly a Barrie front as it's been described. Part of it is the very nature of adding the arch, the other is more like the shaped the toe of the 55 to be more refined vs bolted the front of one to the rear of another.

l33tcoder

Reaction score
I went with the same size I get in my 55 lasted boots, and they feel basically the same. There's a slight bit more toe room in the 55 boots, but I may just be imagining that.

One thing I will say that I find a little strange, is with the commando sole. I have the commando sole on a pair of Main Streets and it still feels like I'm walking with a 2x4 on my foot, even though they're well broken in. Doesn't flex very much when I take a step, feels clunkier than my other boots with different soles. The commando on these new boots doesn't do that at all. Steps don't feel clunky, there's a nice smooth transition from heel to toe. I originally thought the clunkiness was due to the commando sole, but maybe it's more to do with the way the Main Streets are made.

Interesting that you went with the same size as with 55 last - since I have heard from several folks that 5050 last is quite narrow even compared to MP (Barrie) last. And I also recalled Baker's reply on IG: () "no, you want to go down a half size and out a width."

And to add to the confusion someone replied to this comment with: "wear the same size on the 5050 and 55 last. I own 1 pair of Stevens in the 5050 last and 3 boots in the 55 last so I'm pretty familiar with them."

:) :)

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That was one of the most meditative videos I've seen (and heard) in a while! Not sure I'd have the patience to do that to dozens of pairs of socks after one of my mammoth washes though.
I am a lazy person by nature!
Edit: I tried to copy Buster Scruggs while typing!

alset_rl

Reaction score
That was one of the most meditative videos I've seen (and heard) in a while! Not sure I'd have the patience to do that to dozens of pairs of socks after one of my mammoth washes though.
Once you do it a few times, it only takes a couple of seconds. Folding it this way does keep the shape and elastic at the top end forever intact

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads