• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the stuff!
Pretty good investment for $25-30, I assume it would last for a while if you only use it on a couple of pairs.

Jimk4003

Reaction score
Pretty good investment for $25-30, I assume it would last for a while if you only use it on a couple of pairs.
Yeah, a little goes a long way, and you don't usually need to condition leather that often anyway.

And it's worth it just for the smell. I'd use it as hand cream; if I could afford it!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@PACostag , how is the W&C veg tan leather thickness (lined?) compared to other leathers offered by White's?

Luscombe

Reaction score
That's how tan should like lol.
Not the British tan kind of tan! I took a picture of my Bounty Hunters (British tan) with AE Higgins Mill (Brown CXL), their colors are pretty much the same.

View attachment 1573045

Edit: @Luscombe , What do you think? White's are worth the extra cost? I got those AEs for around $200.
Hey Chicago,
I love your Burgundy boots and can hardly wait for my pair to show up.
That cost comparison is a loaded question for me this week.
Tuesday I spent all day on a project walking behind a floor grinder. Started at about 8AM and left the job at 6PM. I had my recrafted SD's on because it was a messy job grinding the paint and bumps off the concrete and I wanted the extra support the boots provided. By the time I loaded up the trailer, I could hardly walk. My left heel was sore to the touch. My feet were so sore I had to take off my boots for the two hour drive home. Consequently, I'm thinking that the recrafted SD's do not fit me correctly.

I have not had that experience with my MP's even though they do not have any arch support. And, I have never had that experience with any of my AE Daltons (3Pr).

SO, a very mixed review from me. When I get the new 10B SD's and have broken them in, I will be able to provide a better answer.

Right now I consider the Whites boots to be a very expensive experiment given the fit issues, limited fitting options and QC problems. It takes a real act of faith to plop down $600-$800 for a pair of boots and then wait 6-8 weeks and longer to see if they will fit. I get that they are custom, handmade and incredibly durable, etc. etc.

Not trying to bash Whites, but in the circles I run, I don't share stories about my $600+ boot orders. Most of the guys consider $250 boots comfortable enough and are wearing Thorogood or Red Wing Moc toes with wedge soles.

That said, My father told me that one of the most important areas to take good care of were my feet and to not skimp on quality shoes and boots. I have lived by that sage advice.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Chicago,
I love your Burgundy boots and can hardly wait for my pair to show up.
That cost comparison is a loaded question for me this week.
Tuesday I spent all day on a project walking behind a floor grinder. Started at about 8AM and left the job at 6PM. I had my recrafted SD's on because it was a messy job grinding the paint and bumps off the concrete and I wanted the extra support the boots provided. By the time I loaded up the trailer, I could hardly walk. My left heel was sore to the touch. My feet were so sore I had to take off my boots for the two hour drive home. Consequently, I'm thinking that the recrafted SD's do not fit me correctly.

I have not had that experience with my MP's even though they do not have any arch support. And, I have never had that experience with any of my AE Daltons (3Pr).

SO, a very mixed review from me. When I get the new 10B SD's and have broken them in, I will be able to provide a better answer.

Right now I consider the Whites boots to be a very expensive experiment given the fit issues, limited fitting options and QC problems. It takes a real act of faith to plop down $600-$800 for a pair of boots and then wait 6-8 weeks and longer to see if they will fit. I get that they are custom, handmade and incredibly durable, etc. etc.

Not trying to bash Whites, but in the circles I run, I don't share stories about my $600+ boot orders. Most of the guys consider $250 boots comfortable enough and are wearing Thorogood or Red Wing Moc toes with wedge soles.

That said, My father told me that one of the most important areas to take good care of were my feet and to not skimp on quality shoes and boots. I have lived by that sage advice.
Great feedback, I wonder what socks do you wear with White's? My darn tough (medium cushion and over 60% merino wool) are super comfortable.

How do you compare MPs with Daltons cost wise? worth the extra cost?

I was wearing AE Higgins Mill today and I could feel the lack of arch support, although I have barely worn my White's.
All of my coworkers wear dress shoes (mall brands) or sneakers and they don't entertain the idea of spending more than $100 on a pair of footwear, I was the first one to get Allen Edmonds

I have bought AEs on sale and one White's pair costs the same as three pairs of AEs but my feet are not 100% comfortable in AEs.

Luscombe

Reaction score
Great feedback, I wonder what socks do you wear with White's? My darn tough (medium cushion and over 60% merino wool) are super comfortable.

How do you compare MPs with Daltons cost wise? worth the extra cost?

I was wearing AE Higgins Mill today and I could feel the lack of arch support, although I have barely worn my White's.
All of my coworkers wear dress shoes (mall brands) or sneakers and they don't entertain the idea of spending more than $100 on a pair of footwear, I was the first one to get Allen Edmonds

I have bought AEs on sale and one White's pair costs the same as three pairs of AEs but my feet are not 100% comfortable in AEs.
I am a fan of Darn Tough Merino wool and only wear either them or a merino wool sock. I vary the thickness based upon the shoe/boot fit. I am also a big fan of Saxx merino skivvies and other Merino clothing. It is comfortable and warm and cool all at the same time.

To me, the MP's are worth the extra $. I especially like the horsehide and they fit me sooooo much better than the AE's. There is no comparison since the MP are a sublime fit for me and the AE's are only a good fit if I sock up but the leather just does not compete. Two of my AE pair are cow hide and not nearly as supple as the MP's. I do have a pair of Daltons in Shell burgundy with leather soles that are being resoled to a mini lug. That leather is the closest to any of the Whites, dress brown, calf or horsehide and are the most comfortable of the three.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just completed my first one mile walk in Bounty Hunters, I think @wordfool has mentioned that it takes 50 miles walking to break in White's, so 49 miles to go ??

wordfool

Reaction score
I just completed my first one mile walk in Bounty Hunters, I think @wordfool has mentioned that it takes 50 miles walking to break in White's, so 49 miles to go ??

I was quoting Kyle IIRC who said something like 50 or 100 miles before they're fully broken in.

Based on the fact I currently don't really wear boots for 2-3 of the hottest months of the year, currently live in a city with a subway system, also own a car, and have too many pairs of boots, I guestimate it'll take me about 10 years to walk enough in all my pairs of White's to break them in properly ?

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: what products should I buy to take care of burgundy HH bounty hunters? Currently I own "cheap" products like Bick4, Lexol and Allen Edmonds leather lotion and edge dressing.
Thank you

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question: what products should I buy to take care of burgundy HH bounty hunters? Currently I own "cheap" products like Bick4, Lexol and Allen Edmonds leather lotion and edge dressing.
Thank you
I can only tell you what I use, and that is Saphir. The Medaille D'Or, not the Beaute du Cuir...

Renovateur sparingly for conditioning...
Saphir Medaille D'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish if I want a little shine...
Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate De Luxe Shoe Polish for a nice shine...
Saphir Medaille d’Or Mirror Gloss for the toes and heels for that ultimate shine...

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can only tell you what I use, and that is Saphir. The Medaille D'Or, not the Beaute du Cuir...

Renovateur sparingly for conditioning...
Saphir Medaille D'Or Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish if I want a little shine...
Saphir Medaille d'Or Pate De Luxe Shoe Polish for a nice shine...
Saphir Medaille d’Or Mirror Gloss for the toes and heels for that ultimate shine...
Thank you @Legal Eagles , what saphir product should I use for "regualr" conditioning?
Should I buy these in Burgundy color or stick with Neutral?

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you @Legal Eagles , what saphir product should I use for "regualr" conditioning?
Should I buy these in Burgundy color or stick with Neutral?
My regular conditioning for HH is every 3-4 months depending on how much the leather needs, and I would use Renovateur, which as far as I know only comes in neutral.

For the others, unless I am trying to preserve contrast stitching, I try to match the color of the boot.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
Hi guys, pretty new to this thread and anxiously awaiting my first pair of custom White's.

I'm trying to get my teenage daughter into higher quality footwear, particularly because she has a difficult foot to get a good fit and really needs arch support.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts regarding chunky White's as an upgrade for something like chunky platform Dr. Martens? I don't really have a sense of how her boots feel on foot but I know they weigh about 1.8 lbs. and the sole feels about as stiff as a sturdy new goodyear welted boot like a Truman on dainite.

Stylistically, I'd want something like a stock Smokejumper and thinking of how to maximize the chonk, yet minimize the weight and inflexibility. Does this sound at all reasonable or should I be looking elsewhere?

redbaron1980

Reaction score
Hi guys, pretty new to this thread and anxiously awaiting my first pair of custom White's.

I'm trying to get my teenage daughter into higher quality footwear, particularly because she has a difficult foot to get a good fit and really needs arch support.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts regarding chunky White's as an upgrade for something like chunky platform Dr. Martens? I don't really have a sense of how her boots feel on foot but I know they weigh about 1.8 lbs. and the sole feels about as stiff as a sturdy new goodyear welted boot like a Truman on dainite.

Stylistically, I'd want something like a stock Smokejumper and thinking of how to maximize the chonk, yet minimize the weight and inflexibility. Does this sound at all reasonable or should I be looking elsewhere?
I recently got my wife her first pair of White's and I think what you're planning is definitely doable. The Bounty Hunter offers so much customization that I guarantee you'll find a combination your daughter will like, especially if she digs the Doc Marten asthetic.

ChaoticKinesis

Reaction score
I recently got my wife her first pair of White's and I think what you're planning is definitely doable. The Bounty Hunter offers so much customization that I guarantee you'll find a combination your daughter will like, especially if she digs the Doc Marten asthetic.
Actually we've looked at Buildaboot quite a bit and it's proven surprisingly difficult. To even approach the desired look we're talking about 100 lugs on a double midsole and probably 1/4" raised heel (raised "platform"). The idea is comparing to things that look like this:
1615750437684.png

Because, you know, other stuff is "boring".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads