• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You sing it, Discomute, you sing it!!!!

Soft toes suck! My packers have soft toes and one has wrinkled and the other hasn't. Drives me crazy.

Soft toes work for rough out or other casual leather that is intended to look beat up.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Soft toes work for rough out or other casual leather that is intended to look beat up.

My distressed rough out everyday kick around work boots are soft toe, and you're right, it works there. I ordered them with celastic but White's left that part out.

My black oil tan standard NFPA Smokejumpers are soft toe, but the leather is so thick that even after 3-4 years of daily wear, the toes still look perfectly shaped with no collapse.

My brown oil tan packers are soft toe. One boot has wrinkled and the other hasn't. I think this is due to a couple of reasons. Even though it is a thick leather, the toe is much more pointed than the 4818 last, so it has already been stretched quite a lot during lasting. The other reason is when I kneel down on one knee when working on something, it is usually my right knee. The toes on my right boot get pretty sharply bent when doing this and I think this is the main reason for the wrinkling. It just sucks that one toe looks new and the other has wrinkles.

All my other White's have celastic. As does my incoming pair (hopefully).

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My distressed rough out everyday kick around work boots are soft toe, and you're right, it works there. I ordered them with celastic but White's left that part out.

My black oil tan standard NFPA Smokejumpers are soft toe, but the leather is so thick that even after 3-4 years of daily wear, the toes still look perfectly shaped with no collapse.

My brown oil tan packers are soft toe. One boot has wrinkled and the other hasn't. I think this is due to a couple of reasons. Even though it is a thick leather, the toe is much more pointed than the 4818 last, so it has already been stretched quite a lot during lasting. The other reason is when I kneel down on one knee when working on something, it is usually my right knee. The toes on my right boot get pretty sharply bent when doing this and I think this is the main reason for the wrinkling. It just sucks that one toe looks new and the other has wrinkles.

All my other White's have celastic. As does my incoming pair (hopefully).
Okay you have to post pictures of your
1) Packer boots
2) your boots in British tan, I forgot if they were BHs

mashtun

Reaction score

Awesome looking Latigo boots! Mine are still a couple months out, similar build except plain toe, commando half sole, 7" height. What are your overall thoughts on the leather, especially regarding the weight, whether it scuffs or not, oiliness, etc? Would it compare to a CXL... or something different?

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Okay you have to post pictures of your
1) Packer boots
2) your boots in British tan, I forgot if they were BHs

I don't have any current pics of the packers, but here is a photo from when they were new:

4zQO2xR.jpg

Here's a picture that shows both of my British Tan boots. 12" 55 BH on left, 55 SD on right:

9yGU90r.jpg

prasom

Reaction score
I don't have any current pics of the packers, but here is a photo from when they were new:

4zQO2xR.jpg

Here's a picture that shows both of my British Tan boots. 12" 55 BH on left, 55 SD on right:

9yGU90r.jpg
there is a striking diff in the color in two British tan boots. both look great. is the difference in usage or the hide color variations?

theofficialhung

Reaction score
Those veg tan LTT BH's look awesome. I was going to do a LTT build for my BH's but backed out at the last minute since I'm just an 8EE and I thought the shorter length with LTT would look weird proportionally. At this rate with all the changes I've made to my build I don't expect my boots to ship until April lol.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
Those veg tan LTT BH's look awesome. I was going to do a LTT build for my BH's but backed out at the last minute since I'm just an 8EE and I thought the shorter length with LTT would look weird proportionally. At this rate with all the changes I've made to my build I don't expect my boots to ship until April lol.

I would say, feel free to make all the changes you like to your desired boot order... So long as you do it on paper or in your head before you place the order. Making changes to the order after placing it is courting problems.

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

4zQO2xR.jpg

9yGU90r.jpg
I need to have a pair of packer boots : ). I think British tan leather is a tad underrated!

chicagoan2016

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the color development in these leathers.
I second your opinion. I saw some pics on White's Facebook page and I thought those limited series boots were awesome.

ThreeLions

Reaction score
I need to have a pair of packer boots : ). I think British tan leather is a tad underrated!

Just to clarify the Packers are in Brown Oil Tan.

But I agree, British Tan is awesome! It's not tough, and I wouldn't wear it while working on projects round the house or anything. But when going out for the evening, its the leather I always go to. If it gets any scuffs, the horse hair brush alone usually removes them quite quickly.

I think it is the best looking leather that White's offers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads