• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
We have heard that before... They are already beyond their original promised roll-out date.

Fool me once...

And when they do get released, customizations will be very limited I’m sure.

That said - I think that Whaley guy is one of their Instagram boot models lol so he probably has some good info.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Got a couple day’s of wear on the Chromepak SD’s. Had to have a new pair built because the vamp liner was saggy & loose. Suffice to say, this pair has a bit of the same problem. I’ll abide...

F0D95D0D-E2E9-43DF-9183-DF07FE96F83F.jpeg

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a couple day’s of wear on the Chromepak SD’s. Had to have a new pair built because the vamp liner was saggy & loose. Suffice to say, this pair has a bit of the same problem. I’ll abide...

I feel like every single pair I own has that same issue. Wonder why the liner isn't secured in any way

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
I feel like every single pair I own has that same issue.

Really?? The first pair was stunning and I really hated to send them back. No other flaws to be found.

When I reached into the boot to looks for laces, etc & felt the super loose & floppy vamp liner. It's the first Ive ever seen of it in roughly a dozen pairs from White's. Seeing it again on this remake (not nearly as bad) was a little disappointing but I think it will be fine.

I wonder if anyone else is experiencing this?

iamntbatman

Reaction score
And when they do get released, customizations will be very limited I’m sure.

That said - I think that Whaley guy is one of their Instagram boot models lol so he probably has some good info.

They hired him as their social media guy. Pretty huge change in their Instagram aesthetic as soon as he got on board (I'm a fan).

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
I feel like every single pair I own has that same issue. Wonder why the liner isn't secured in any way
Devils advocate here, I think this is a feature, not a bug... I really prefer soft toe versus celastic and I think that any attempt to cement or whatever, the lining to the underside of the vamp leather would result in a stiffer toe that doesn’t flex/crease as naturally as a true soft toe, so if I’m buying, I’ll take floppy unattached liner every time, as opposed to any alternative I can think of.

hoppy_IPA

Reaction score
Devils advocate here, I think this is a feature, not a bug... I really prefer soft toe versus celastic and I think that any attempt to cement or whatever, the lining to the underside of the vamp leather would result in a stiffer toe that doesn’t flex/crease as naturally as a true soft toe, so if I’m buying, I’ll take floppy unattached liner every time, as opposed to any alternative I can think of.

this isn’t a soft vs. structured toe issue. those custom Chromepak SD’s are soft toe and the first & thankfully only pair I’ve seen with this defect (albeit both of them/2 in a row suffered the same affliction).
You probably already know this but regardless of the model/build you order, all Whites come with a vamp liner. So all Whites boots have 2 layers of leather in the vamp/toe box.. unless you get a toe cap, then you have 3 layers (as opposed to Viberg who runs a Skived cap toe).

Woodtroll

Reaction score
You probably already know this but regardless of the model/build you order, all Whites come with a vamp liner. So all Whites boots have 2 layers of leather in the vamp/toe box.. unless you get a toe cap, then you have 3 layers (as opposed to Viberg who runs a Skived cap toe).

Not to be argumentative, but that is not completely accurate. Back in February there was some discussion about this, and it seems many pairs of White's boots don't have any vamp lining.

The discussion started around here:

So this is an interesting point, regarding lining. Every pair of Whites I own has a layer of smooth leather in the toe area in addition to the outer leather. I just received my Distressed RO SJs a week ago, and noticed there does not appear to be that extra lining. These are also the only pair of Whites I have without a celastic toe. Is it possible that due to the RO leather already having a smooth side facing inside the boot, and no celastic cap to cover, that there is no extra layer in the toe?

Here's my reply. I have several pairs of White's that don't have lined vamps, but they are all soft toes with no celastic or steel:

I will say that the only pairs of Whites boots I have that have a lined vamp are one pair with steel toes, one pair with celastic toes, and one insulated pair of packers. All of my other pairs are unlined, as far as I can tell. All are of oil-tanned leather, but I don't know if that is the reason they are unlined or not. Lined oil-tan would indeed be thick and heavy, and probably "sweaty".

Even with the oil-tan leather, I can tell a breathability difference between the work boots that I oil/grease heavily, and the more casual boots that I use dressing on less often. Stopping up the pores to improve water resistance works, but it also hinders the breathability (if that's a real word!) of the boot. A looser fit, lower top, and thick wool socks all do help to "pump" air though the boot as you walk, which of course cuts down on the sweat.

If you follow the thread through the next day or two, you'll see several photos of unlined vamps, including this one:

Here is the inside toe/vamp of a pair of packers, built of black oil tan leather, purchased last fall. Definitely no toe/vamp lining in these.
View attachment 1337139

I think MANY White's boots have lined vamps, whether that's because they have celastic or steel inserts, or are calf leather, or whatever. But I'm pretty sure based on my experience that the oil-tanned work leather boots with plain soft toes are normally unlined. (Did I throw enough qualifiers in there? ;) )

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems many pairs of White's boots don't have any vamp lining...

I'm pretty sure based on my experience that the oil-tanned work leather boots with plain soft toes are normally unlined. (Did I throw enough qualifiers in there? ;) )
I think we need a ruling from White's or Baker's...

@sambam @Quack Attack @Whaley what say you...is it normal for the oil tanned leather boots with soft toes to come without a vamp liner?

PACostag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly haven't seen this as an issue. yes, the liners are loose and kind of floppy inside the boot, but I don't feel it while wearing them, and as far as I can tell, it doesn't cause any issues. I don't see this as really having any impact on structured vs. unstructured, given then a layer of glue to hold two pieces of leather together will not have the same properties as a celastic insert in terms of providing structure.

ThatDudeOrion

Reaction score
this isn’t a soft vs. structured toe issue. those custom Chromepak SD’s are soft toe and the first & thankfully only pair I’ve seen with this defect (albeit both of them/2 in a row suffered the same affliction).
Yeah I didn’t mean to imply that it was, just that I’d be willing to bet that the unattached liner is more noticeable on unstructured toe builds than those with celastic, and what I meant was that if I’m buying a soft toe boot, and had to choose one outcome over the other, I personally would prefer to deal with the sagging liner instead of one that didn’t sag because the boot makers tried to hard to fix it via cementing it or adding a canvas toe puff, or ???

but then again I’m probably in the minority that I would try a FULLY unlined vamp if whites offered it

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads