• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@LegalEagles – where did your #154 oxfords go?
I sold them... they were 11E and as I have gotten older my feet have spread... they were always a "little tight" which I compensated for by wearing thin socks, but I eventually came to the conclusion that they were not comfortable enough to keep. The 54 last is a strange animal... if they had been 11.5 EE or F I would still have them.

Having now owned a White's Oxford in 54, a Nick's Manito in 55 (which is a great shoe), and a Wesco in 9109 bump toe, if I need another Oxford it will be a White's 300 in 38 Swing with external heel counter...

The White's 300 is $529 and the Nick's Manito is $385 (both are excellent quality and Nick's is arguably the better value, but, alas, Nicks does not have the 38 Swing last).

Last edited:

motojobobo

Reaction score
And THAT is what a pair of work boots looks like in their natural environment! ;) Looks like even the cattle approve (or maybe they're just waiting on the grain bucket...).

If you like the arch and the taller heel, you'll like the 690. The heel on the 690 is just a little bit narrower at the footprint/sole because of the straight taper (vs. the concave curve of the Smokejumper and Farmer/Rancher boots), but no worse than any of the pull-on western boots I've owned in years past. I only own one pair of the 695s, for "dress" boots as I usually don't prefer the pointed toes, but I personally really can't tell any difference in the arch of the 690 vs. 695. If I had to pick one boot I prefer for daily wear, it would be the 690 because it just feels and "walks" better to me. For hard work though, like picking up hay or cutting firewood all day, the slightly lower and wider (more stable) heel of the 4811 is tough to beat.

Thanks for sharing your photo!
Thank you for the comments on last differences Woodtroll ??.

That means I should lean towards a 690 as a first pair for general ranch activity. What are your thoughts on choice of leather for this boot style and use? I’m itching to try out brown HH for it. I steer away from black color for workboots, and amongst the browns suitable for work I guess it is a reasonably durable/tough if pricier option. Grateful for all comments on leather choices.

Note- these calves have never eaten anything out of a trough or bucket, they are purely grass grazers; so it is must be my Whites they are admiring ??

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m itching to try out brown HH for it. I steer away from black color for workboots, and amongst the browns suitable for work I guess it is a reasonably durable/tough if pricier option. Grateful for all comments on leather choices.
My $0.02... do not choose HH for a work-boot... it is thinner than work leathers and while certainly up to the task with regard to abrasion resistance, HH is too "nice" for a work-boot... its best characteristics would be wasted.

If I needed a work boot, I would pick a work boot leather... I am partial to Red Dog and Distressed, and would likely go roughout...

Using HH for a work boot would be like using a Colt Python as a truck gun... you could, but why would you?

(But if you do, please share pictures!)

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments on last differences Woodtroll ??.

That means I should lean towards a 690 as a first pair for general ranch activity. What are your thoughts on choice of leather for this boot style and use? I’m itching to try out brown HH for it. I steer away from black color for workboots, and amongst the browns suitable for work I guess it is a reasonably durable/tough if pricier option. Grateful for all comments on leather choices.

Note- these calves have never eaten anything out of a trough or bucket, they are purely grass grazers; so it is must be my Whites they are admiring ??

I'm afraid I can offer no help on leather choices, since I have only ever used oil-tan leather for my boots. Having been required to wear black boots for work for nearly 30 years, they are never my choice, either, when I have one. My choices for non-job boots have always been either smooth brown oil-tan or smooth red dog oil-tan. I'm not nearly as adventurous of some of the folks who post here, although I do admire all the different variations.

I've been mightily tempted recently by the thought of a pair of Farmer/Ranchers in distressed smooth leather, though. ;) That would be my first deviation from plain old oil-tan smooth leather.

Good luck with your decision!

paulraphael

Reaction score
It looks like some of the boot models are only offered with one option for the last. Is it possible to send a fitting sheet to Baker's without an order, to get their recommendation on which model will be the best fit?

discomute

Reaction score
It looks like some of the boot models are only offered with one option for the last. Is it possible to send a fitting sheet to Baker's without an order, to get their recommendation on which model will be the best fit?

Yes though my understanding is that sketchings are a lot harder to give a last recommendation than a size. But it might help particularly if you have unusual feet

TH3515

Reaction score
The 54 last is a strange animal...
Could you elaborate? I find the 54 last very interesting – on the (very few) pictures I found it looks similar to the #38, yet slightly sleeker. There's so little information on it, a fit description would be greatly appreciated!

Netvine

Reaction score
Im having some luck with Black Dress work boot. Its performing very well but Ive only been using about 6 months so I dont know yet how theyll hold up in the long run. The dress leather doesnt scuff like smooth leather. Its very soft in comparison, but it very much stays intact. No tears or anything just some scratches. It seems to go through soak/dry pretty well so far.

Last edited:

Legal Eagles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you elaborate? I find the 54 last very interesting – on the (very few) pictures I found it looks similar to the #38, yet slightly sleeker. There's so little information on it, a fit description would be greatly appreciated!
Almost as wide as the 38 Swing... wider than 55, 4811 and 461... but very flat through the instep... this was where my problem was... for me, most footwear is too narrow, squeeezing the sides of the ball of my foot... the 54 actually squeezed down on the top of my foot... like being in a house with a ceiling too low. I sized them as I would for a 55 last at the time, and should have gone two widths wider. Top down on it, it looks wide, but it has very low height and volume for its width...

It is clearly a shoe last, and like most shoes it has very little arch support

TH3515

Reaction score
^ Thank you very much for your description, @Legal Eagles . The low volume instep sounds like it could work with my feet. However, I love the arch support of the 55 and 4811...

ThreeLions

Reaction score
That is a great point about oil vs HDLP. They look very nice. How is the Honey Vibram holding up? Ive heard its soft and sounds like it might be nice walking on concrete? I seem to go through the 430’s a little too fast on my main work boots.

The Honey Vibrams are fantastic. They feel considerably softer and springier than the 100 or 100F black lug soles. I think that the equivalent feel would be the difference between standing on plain concrete vs. standing on a rubber floor mat. I thought that this might make them wear out quicker, but so far, I have not found that to be the case.

I think that they would have to be matched to the right upper boot leather (I doubt they's look good on back boots), but I wouldn't hesitate to get them on lighter boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads