• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

4characters

Reaction score
I know… I know…
sarcasm.gif

http://www.pinterest.com/BrianTruong/my-resole-work/

NNNN

Reaction score
Ok, as I seem to have run out of important questions, I've one last detail for you guys: on the build-a-boot website, the choices for laces are nylon and leather. I really like flat waxed cotton laces (which I've seen on pairs of stock White's boots for sale on websites (http://www.snakeoilprovisions.com/footwear/whites-boots-semi-dress-english-tan)). Does anybody know if these can be chosen, or if there is a third party website that stocks them in the appropriate length (for a semi-dress build)?
I got some brown flat waxed laces on amazon for a pair of Daytons. So far so good. Not too expensive, and lots of length choices.

andy b.

Reaction score
Not to further derail the White's thread, but I have also seen a lot of Brian's work, and he doesn't "resole" your boots as much as he builds you an entire new pair of boots using your old uppers. He does do excellent work!

linafelt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that those prices are pretty steep, but as Andy B. says you are getting almost a complete rebuilt, with what looks like the highest quality of materials. That's gotta be a lot of hands-on labor, and with the cost of material I figure he's not making more than 15 or 20 bucks an hour. Definitely not a rip off.

If I had a pair of really high quality boots that I loved and planned to wear for another 10 or 15 years it'd be worth it to me. But for my OSB Trenches it's probably not. I know that OSB will resole for about $140. They only offer flat leather or Dainite, but Dainite should do the trick. (As much as I'd love some Cat's Paws or cord soles...)

LouieBailie

Reaction score
That is what is great about the USA, people can/will/do hype up anything and some people will go for it. It never lasts forever, just ask Bernie M.
fing02[1].gif

That particular guy makes B Nelson in NY look REAL CHEAP. B Nelson does the exact same or better quality repair or rebuild work, in the Worlds largest most wealthy demographic market, the work takes 14-18 days, and they are rated on top for extremely high quality work on 4-5K a pair shoes and boots. They even offer FREE mailers, for shipping items in for the work. (What does Homer Simpson say?)

Extremely high quality work is also done by Wesco they charge 225 for complete rebuild, same for Whites 210, and Drews 200s.

Someone once told me, a long time ago, about a fool and their money. I listened and learned, some are temporarily deaf.
biggrin.gif

Last edited:

westie187

Reaction score

Not to further derail the White's thread, but I have also seen a lot of Brian's work, and he doesn't "resole" your boots as much as he builds you an entire new pair of boots using your old uppers. He does do excellent work!

My point exactly. Thank you. I apologize to all, I should have PM'ed linafelt with my info and not derailed the thread or awoke the sleeping troll. Sorry, folks.

Last edited:

Neognosis

Reaction score
Quote: You can almost buy new white's for that price though.

If you are an average Joe, and not depending on your boots for your real safety, or if your boots weren't around a 1000 dollars or more new, what's the point?

I guess the point is to enjoy paying the money for something more exclusive or to pay more money because the product, though it is beyond overkill, just makes you feel good to have. While I certainly won't "waste" money like that, I think it's a good way to inject money and stimulus into the economy.

I've never had a problem with people making a lot of money. I only object to them not spending it, and this seems like a great way to get capitol back into circulation. And if it makes people feel good, have at it!

climbinglife

Reaction score
That is what is great about the USA, people can/will/do hype up anything and some people will go for it. It never lasts forever, just ask Bernie M.
fing02[1].gif

That particular guy makes B Nelson in NY look REAL CHEAP. B Nelson does the exact same or better quality repair or rebuild work, in the Worlds largest most wealthy demographic market, the work takes 14-18 days, and they are rated on top for extremely high quality work on 4-5K a pair shoes and boots. They even offer FREE mailers, for shipping items in for the work. (What does Homer Simpson say?)

Extremely high quality work is also done by Wesco they charge 225 for complete rebuild, same for Whites 210, and Drews 200s.

Someone once told me, a long time ago, about a fool and their money. I listened and learned, some are temporarily deaf.
biggrin.gif
Jeez...
baldy[1].gif
Deleted, except to say
White's charged me 250 plus tax for a "full"rebuild.

Last edited:

LouieBailie

Reaction score
B Nelson does not hold customers hands when it rains, or if they have a hang nail. They supply a needed service to a large population in a very fast courteous manner, for NY.. Those who need/want/demand "special" attention go elsewhere and should/do pay more. No big deal.

Understanding the facts and alternatives makes for wise decisions.

You have to know NY and understand a well established long standing shop like B Nelsons has workers/owners/most customers from NY. They deal just like most other NY businesses, except the alternate lifestyle boutiques that open up, then close down, as fast as a Walmart front door.

PS I do not use B Nelson just know/use a shoe maker/cobbler that worked for them for 15 years.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is it about the footwear threads at sf? Like many folks, I spend a disproportionate amount of my sf time at the various footwear threads, EG, C&J, Alden, AE, Whites, RW, OSB, shoecare, RMW and even the Wolverine 1K thread a few yrs ago. It seems that these threads attract many of the same people (myself included) and are some of the most informative, pleasant threads around. However, all it takes is one individual to throw a wrench into the works and they can implode after years of civil discussion.

I tend to lurk more than anything but it is amazing how fragile the footwear ecosystem can be :)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member