• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whacky

Reaction score
This is more of an afterthought to my custom selections...

I picked a single leather sole for my custom Semi Dress because I wanted a boot that wasn't too work-like, and maintained a fashionable look.

Any thoughts to the downside of the single leather sole? Anyone have problems with wear, water, etc?

Slide - how much difference do you notice between the single and double leather soles?

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a fair bit actually...the single leather sole gives you much more ground feel when walking. I actually prefer the double leather myself, but the single leather does provide a really clean and less "worky" look. I honestly don't wear those boots a ton so I can't comment on how they wear over time really, but I wouldn't be too concerned.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by slide13
I currently have 4 pair of White's and there was a 5th pair I sold that were a little on the big side for me. 2 pair were custom ordered direct through White's, one pair custom ordered through Baker's and 2 pair I scored direct from White's off of Ebay. I absolutely love White's boots and their service is excellent. Every pair I ordered came in on time or earlier then expected and their boots never dissapoint.

Here are my current White's:
whitesj.jpg

L-R:
Brown dress leather cap-toes w/ double leather sole
Brown chromexcel swing lasted w single leather sole
Roughout Farmer/Ranchers w/ mini-lug sole
Roughout Smokejumpers (my winter boots, dubbed with couple coats of Obenauf's....looked just like the F/R to start with)

After seeing these brown chromexcel's I don't even want to lace up my black cherry GT's ever again.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
haha....I honestly don't wear them a ton for some reason. I like my cap-toes better, and I have a few pair of Alden boots as well (including some well worn chromexcel Roys) so these ones are still pretty fresh. Give me time though...they'll get there.

illumin8em

Reaction score
since this thread is actually getting some interest, i just want to throw out there,

if anyone has a used pair of whites in 10.5, let me know

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Is anyone able to associate Alden's Barrie last sizing with White's Semi-Dress sizing? I'm a 9D in the Barrie and it's pretty much my best fitting last of any shoe I've tried (maybe on par with the C&J 325). Would I be a 9D in White's?

jaydc7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what people have said on SuFu go up a half size, so you'd be a 9.5D. You can always do your tracings and send them in to whites/bakers and they will match a last for your foot.

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the White's fit a little smaller then the Barrie last probably. I have White's in 11 and 11.5 as well as Alden Barrie last boots in 11 and 11.5. The 11 Barrie last fits me pretty solid, my roughout White's are both 11 and my toes touch the end just barely (which works ok with the unreinforced toe box). With a reinforced toe the 11.5 is really a better fit for me on the White's. My 11.5 Barrie last boots are just a little too big but I've had them a while and can wear them comfortably enough so I don't see any need to get rid of them either.

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well broken-in White's semi-dress boots in black, fresh from a polish, in the California morning sun.

img0592ec.jpg

img0591e.jpg

img0590ca.jpg

Whacky

Reaction score
Meso - Those SD's are in black? Is it me, or do those pictures make the leather look a lot like White's Dress Brown leather?

What kind of polish do you use? And how long have you had those?

meso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had them about a year, but I'm the second owner, so am unsure of how old they are.
I guess there's a chance they are browns polished black? But I don't think so... the light is bringing out highlights... IRL they look black, no question. I don't really polish the tongue often.

Tadite

Reaction score
Does anyone have some examples of how the non-traditional leather looks? White's seems to have a large selection of Bull Hide and Water Buffalo both of which had a interesting texture but could also be a bit.... much.

Burra

Reaction score
I have had no experience with Whites, but I was just wondering from the pictures:

Are they stiff at all?

With the thick leather soles, do they feel really rigid?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads