• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Custom shirts - does this look legit?

Goblin

Reaction score
I don't know the first thing about custom tailoring. The city in which I live only has one tailor who makes shirts:

http://bestmastertailor.com/index.html

I can't really tell from the website if the prices are about right for the services he offers, and I honestly don't think I know enough about tailoring to tell if the clothes are worth it. I've never heard any kind of testimonials about him one way or the other, but I hardly run in circles where custom clothing is de rigeur.

I would greatly appreciate it if one or more people knowledgeable about such things could poke around his website and see if it at least passes the "smell" test. I'm thinking of having a shirt made as a trial, but I don't want to flush $100 down the toilet. I know $1095 for a bespoke suit seems very low, even in our economically-depressed state.

Thank you in advance!

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
Looks legit to me. Will he make only one shirt? I would be surprised if there was not a rather large minimum order from someone who claims to cut a pattern for each new client.

Also, I would not go the non-iron route for the first shirt. Do a Royal Oxford or better. Do something closer to the best fabric you imagine you might be ordering in a large batch. That way your pattern can be tweaked usefully. If some crap fabric shirt does not shrink into place for you, then you do not know how to tweak the pattern for your set of five royal oxfords.

Plus why go this route and skimp on the fabric?

Your satisfaction with made-to-measure shirts will depend on the extent to which off-the-rack shirts fit you well. If you have never had a shirt that fits properly, I'd say the odds are you will be very happy with the end result.

Goblin

Reaction score
I just walked down and spoke to the tailor, and he seems a nice enough guy. I ended up ordering four shirts, none "non-iron" - didn't seem like the way to go once I thought about it on the walk over. The turnaround time is about 3.5 weeks. I ordered 3 straight collar barrel cuffs for work - white, a lilac check, and a pink with stripes - and a white linen sport shirt with french cuffs. Total was $558, with $400 down, which seems eminently reasonable.

If there were off the rack shirts I could wear, I would, but any OTR shirts that fit my shoulders are generally pretty mushroomy around my waist, even the "tailored fits." If these shirts are nice, I will take this guy a ridiculous amount of business.

Isaac Mickle

Reaction score
Congratulations on the purchase! Well done Goblin. Here's hoping your tailor comes through for you.

Reaction score
You should have your tailor make only 1 shirt for a try-on. Hold the balance till the first shirt is perfect. This is the way i do business

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads