• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cuffs on Suit Pants - no break?

jt10000

Reaction score
The amount of break depends on the look you want, and also the width and material of the pants. If the material is stiff, like denim or heavy chinos, and the legs are narrow, then no break is fine. But if the material is very soft and the pants leg is wide, no break is going to result in the pants flopping around. It'll look bad.

With suit pants I like a tiny break in front. This keeps the leg "anchored" and reduces flopping.

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score

Sorry to necro, but I, too, have this question. For lighter fabrics, should one choose smaller cuffs or no cuffs as opposed to larger cuffs for heavy fabrics?

The lighter the fabric, the more you'll benefit from cuffing your pants. Cuffs make the pants drape better.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I posed the same question to the proprietor of Thick as Thieves, and he essentially said the opposite. I will admit that somehow the idea of thick cuffs seems more fitting for a heavy tweed, but I've never owned a suit, and I sometimes have funny ideas. Is it just a matter of taste? Also, once a pant is cuffed, am I right in thinking that if one wishes to shorten the inseam, one must remove the cuffs? It seems that otherwise, the crease from the bottom of the cuff would be on the outside of the new cuffs.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I posed the same question to the proprietor of Thick as Thieves, and he essentially said the opposite. I will admit that somehow the idea of thick cuffs seems more fitting for a heavy tweed, but I've never owned a suit, and I sometimes have funny ideas. Is it just a matter of taste? Also, once a pant is cuffed, am I right in thinking that if one wishes to shorten the inseam, one must remove the cuffs? It seems that otherwise, the crease from the bottom of the cuff would be on the outside of the new cuffs.

Ivar

Reaction score

I posed the same question to the proprietor of Thick as Thieves, and he essentially said the opposite.

What was his argument? It's pretty simple, really: the cuffs lend extra weight to the bottom of the pants, making them less flimsy.

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
He didn't really have an argument. I just asked him which he recommended, and he said he prefers cuffs on heavier fabrics.

Ivar

Reaction score

He didn't really have an argument. I just asked him which he recommended, and he said he prefers cuffs on heavier fabrics.

I see. Most people on here, including me, always cuff their pants, but there's no rule for or against it -- it's just down to style.

Last edited:

Chase H

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think I'll try it, if only to appease the style gods. I once had an opportunity to acquire some blue cuffed trousers with a white windowpane at a thrift store. I loved the look of the cuffs on them, hated the pleats. I declined, not knowing that I could have pleats removed by a tailor. I suppose I'll have to buy some pants like that some day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics