• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cufflinks

Bates

Reaction score
I am going to order my first set of cufflinks, what should I think about? What shape should I go for?
I found this ones on some random cheap site:

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuffsdx9.jpg

Oh and one more question, Is it okay to wear a shirt with cufflinks when you are not wearing a suit (or just the suit-jacket) ?

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bates
I am going to order my first set of cufflinks, what should I think about? What shape should I go for? I found this ones on some random cheap site: http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuffsdx9.jpg
Honestly, it is a question of personal taste. What others find interesting or good may not necessarily reflect what you like. The cuff link damage thread has some very interesting ones -- you might want to take a look at that.
Oh and one more question, Is it okay to wear a shirt with cufflinks when you are not wearing a suit (or just the suit-jacket) ?
Some people would say no; others would say why the hell not. I would just say knock yourself out. I have a rather large collection of French cuffed shirts, and sometimes I wear a jacket with them and sometimes I don't. It's my prerogative, so to speak. As long as you can pull it off, go for it.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the cuff link damage thread is amazing.

I would always go with (sport-)jacket or suit. But this my is personal preference.

goodlife

Reaction score
Have you checked out any of the links available from Kent Wang?

http://www.kentwang.com/catalog.php

I have a pair of Thomas Pink MOP with sterling trim that were a gift from my parents that are similar the the MOP with brass available from Kent, but with a much higher mark-up.

lmaligaya

Reaction score
the kent wang ones are nice and a good price. I saw a nice set that resembled a large button in white or pearl on the outside. Just get something versatile since its your first set.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
I have no problem with FC shirts worn with out a jacket. I have seen this done well several times.

As for links, a pair like this is a very solid place to start:

773C_enlarged.jpg

Then I would suggest you keep you eye out for less common links like Kent Wang or something a bit vintage.

manouche

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood
I have no problem with FC shirts worn with out a jacket. I have seen this done well several times.

773C_enlarged.jpg

Then I would suggest you keep you eye out for less common links like Kent Wang or something a bit vintage.

They look cheap.

Buy a Dunhill pair or Tyrwhitt

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JeffsWood

773C_enlarged.jpg

I have the same ones as my "travel pair." I keep them in my toilet kit in case I forget another pair. I think they are elegant - and they were not cheap, although I would not cry if I lost them. I also like Kent Wang, which at lest on the web site, look a lot more expensive then they are.

As others have stated, cuff links are a very personal thing and can run the gamut from whimsical to ostentatious. Just about anything of that size can be made into a cuff link. There is a guy on e-bay who makes Legos into links, or you can put as many jewels on as you can afford. You can pledge you allegiance to a college or fraternity or baseball team. The sky is the limit.

As for when to wear them - whenever you want to. I am not at all in the camp of suit only, but I do think wearing cuff links without a suit is a bit of a statement, so be prepared. Last week I wore a French cuff shirt with five pocket cords to a party I was hosting. I liked the look, so I did it.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as the shape and color it is a matter of preference, unless they are formal ones which should only be worn formaly. as far as wearing them suitless, I have seen men do this before. I have even done so, I think that I would go with a more casual looking pair though not to off set the rest of the look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads