Cufflinks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bates, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

I am going to order my first set of cufflinks, what should I think about? What shape should I go for?
    I found this ones on some random cheap site:

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuffsdx9.jpg

Oh and one more question, Is it okay to wear a shirt with cufflinks when you are not wearing a suit (or just the suit-jacket) ?

2. Metlin

Metlin Senior member

I am going to order my first set of cufflinks, what should I think about? What shape should I go for? I found this ones on some random cheap site: http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuffsdx9.jpg
    Honestly, it is a question of personal taste. What others find interesting or good may not necessarily reflect what you like. The cuff link damage thread has some very interesting ones -- you might want to take a look at that.
    Some people would say no; others would say why the hell not. I would just say knock yourself out. I have a rather large collection of French cuffed shirts, and sometimes I wear a jacket with them and sometimes I don't. It's my prerogative, so to speak. As long as you can pull it off, go for it.

3. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Senior member

Yes, the cuff link damage thread is amazing.

I would always go with (sport-)jacket or suit. But this my is personal preference.

4. goodlife

goodlife Senior member

Have you checked out any of the links available from Kent Wang?

http://www.kentwang.com/catalog.php

I have a pair of Thomas Pink MOP with sterling trim that were a gift from my parents that are similar the the MOP with brass available from Kent, but with a much higher mark-up.

5. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior member

the kent wang ones are nice and a good price. I saw a nice set that resembled a large button in white or pearl on the outside. Just get something versatile since its your first set.

6. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior member

I have no problem with FC shirts worn with out a jacket. I have seen this done well several times.

As for links, a pair like this is a very solid place to start:

[​IMG]

Then I would suggest you keep you eye out for less common links like Kent Wang or something a bit vintage.

7. manouche

manouche Senior member

I have no problem with FC shirts worn with out a jacket. I have seen this done well several times.

[​IMG]

Then I would suggest you keep you eye out for less common links like Kent Wang or something a bit vintage.

They look cheap.

Buy a Dunhill pair or Tyrwhitt

8. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

[​IMG]

I have the same ones as my "travel pair." I keep them in my toilet kit in case I forget another pair. I think they are elegant - and they were not cheap, although I would not cry if I lost them. I also like Kent Wang, which at lest on the web site, look a lot more expensive then they are.

As others have stated, cuff links are a very personal thing and can run the gamut from whimsical to ostentatious. Just about anything of that size can be made into a cuff link. There is a guy on e-bay who makes Legos into links, or you can put as many jewels on as you can afford. You can pledge you allegiance to a college or fraternity or baseball team. The sky is the limit.

As for when to wear them - whenever you want to. I am not at all in the camp of suit only, but I do think wearing cuff links without a suit is a bit of a statement, so be prepared. Last week I wore a French cuff shirt with five pocket cords to a party I was hosting. I liked the look, so I did it.

9. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

As far as the shape and color it is a matter of preference, unless they are formal ones which should only be worn formaly. as far as wearing them suitless, I have seen men do this before. I have even done so, I think that I would go with a more casual looking pair though not to off set the rest of the look.