1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Cufflinks

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Bates, Nov 16, 2008.

1. Bates

Bates Well-Known Member

I am going to order my first set of cufflinks, what should I think about? What shape should I go for?
    I found this ones on some random cheap site:

http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuffsdx9.jpg

Oh and one more question, Is it okay to wear a shirt with cufflinks when you are not wearing a suit (or just the suit-jacket) ?

2. Metlin

Metlin Distinguished Member

I am going to order my first set of cufflinks, what should I think about? What shape should I go for? I found this ones on some random cheap site: http://img389.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cuffsdx9.jpg
    Honestly, it is a question of personal taste. What others find interesting or good may not necessarily reflect what you like. The cuff link damage thread has some very interesting ones -- you might want to take a look at that.
    Some people would say no; others would say why the hell not. I would just say knock yourself out. I have a rather large collection of French cuffed shirts, and sometimes I wear a jacket with them and sometimes I don't. It's my prerogative, so to speak. As long as you can pull it off, go for it.

3. Golf_Nerd

Golf_Nerd Distinguished Member

Yes, the cuff link damage thread is amazing.

I would always go with (sport-)jacket or suit. But this my is personal preference.

4. goodlife

goodlife Senior Member

Have you checked out any of the links available from Kent Wang?

http://www.kentwang.com/catalog.php

I have a pair of Thomas Pink MOP with sterling trim that were a gift from my parents that are similar the the MOP with brass available from Kent, but with a much higher mark-up.

5. lmaligaya

lmaligaya Senior Member

the kent wang ones are nice and a good price. I saw a nice set that resembled a large button in white or pearl on the outside. Just get something versatile since its your first set.

6. JeffsWood

JeffsWood Senior Member

I have no problem with FC shirts worn with out a jacket. I have seen this done well several times.

As for links, a pair like this is a very solid place to start:

[​IMG]

Then I would suggest you keep you eye out for less common links like Kent Wang or something a bit vintage.

7. manouche

manouche Senior Member

I have no problem with FC shirts worn with out a jacket. I have seen this done well several times.

[​IMG]

Then I would suggest you keep you eye out for less common links like Kent Wang or something a bit vintage.

They look cheap.

Buy a Dunhill pair or Tyrwhitt

8. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Distinguished Member

[​IMG]

I have the same ones as my "travel pair." I keep them in my toilet kit in case I forget another pair. I think they are elegant - and they were not cheap, although I would not cry if I lost them. I also like Kent Wang, which at lest on the web site, look a lot more expensive then they are.

As others have stated, cuff links are a very personal thing and can run the gamut from whimsical to ostentatious. Just about anything of that size can be made into a cuff link. There is a guy on e-bay who makes Legos into links, or you can put as many jewels on as you can afford. You can pledge you allegiance to a college or fraternity or baseball team. The sky is the limit.

As for when to wear them - whenever you want to. I am not at all in the camp of suit only, but I do think wearing cuff links without a suit is a bit of a statement, so be prepared. Last week I wore a French cuff shirt with five pocket cords to a party I was hosting. I liked the look, so I did it.

9. bowtielover

bowtielover Distinguished Member

As far as the shape and color it is a matter of preference, unless they are formal ones which should only be worn formaly. as far as wearing them suitless, I have seen men do this before. I have even done so, I think that I would go with a more casual looking pair though not to off set the rest of the look.