• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cufflinks - in or out

ginot

Reaction score
for instance, couldn't find a single photo of Sergio Ermotti (CEO of Union Bank of Switzerland) wearing them. And he's one of the sharpest looking execs I know of. And in terms of the biggest cheese out there, Obama doesn't use cufflinks either.

It's just when you're seated at a desk for a large proportion of the day, arms rested on the table, typing away, I just find they seem to get in the way.

Ever heard of the expression "less is more"? Else we'd all end up wearing double breasted suits with patent leather shoes, a stick and silk top hat.

bits of metal at the end of your sleeve just get in the way, attract unwarranted attention, and take away from the rest of the suit/look

no, I'm British (in the UK)

Last edited:

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
It sounds like you simply do not like cufflinks. Consensus seems to be that they are certainly and will always be still 'in', to use your phrasing, but if you don't like 'em, don't wear 'em. Basing your style off someone else is dangerous territory.

Also, I simply like the weight and feel of the cuff, not the links themselves per se. Like I said, I wear 'em with everything just because of that - if you don't like links, I suggest you wear them with nothing.

Andrew Ryan

Reaction score
Can never go wrong with silk knots.

But I wouldn't recommend jeans and French cuffs to anyone.
Only when I wear jeans + SC. No jacket = barrel cuffs.

ginot

Reaction score
don't get me wrong, I do (did) like them lots but I'm now swaying towards ditching them (or more likely not replacing those shirts which get worn out). Was curious to see what others here thought about it. Seems as though majority are in favour of keeping them. Hmm more food for thought.

thanks for the comments

Sartorial Scum

Reaction score
Im not personally in favour of french cuffs/cufflinks either. I have a few french cuffed shirts but for me its about convenience as well a stylistic preference

APHK

Reaction score
I used to wear them quite regularly years ago but I found them way too inconvenient when working at the desk. Of course, if I were to have meetings all day then my preference might change. Now, only for dressy/formal occasions such as weddings.

ginot

Reaction score
Quote:
yeah, now that makes sense. If you wanted to jazz yourself up/stand out/make a statement then cufflinks could work. Otherwise I'm becoming less & less convinced it merits today's suit style.

Just googled Gordon Gekko and seems as though when his shirts aren't rolled up, he has a standard buttoned cuff

Chowkin

Reaction score

Ever heard of the expression "less is more"?  Else we'd all end up wearing double breasted suits with patent leather shoes, a stick and silk top hat.

bits of metal at the end of your sleeve just get in the way, attract unwarranted attention, and take away from the rest of the suit/look

no, I'm British (in the UK)

Then why don't you attack ties? They do not serve any real purpose, are purely ornamental and get in the way. Following your logic we should ban all ties.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've not seen cufflinks in a long time, in fact I wouldn't even know where one would even buy the things, except maybe Ebay.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Then why don't you attack ties? They do not serve any real purpose, are purely ornamental and get in the way. Following your logic we should ban all ties.

Ties to me means uniform. From when I used to do a security job. Notice how all policemen and prison officers wear ties.

Last edited:

ginot

Reaction score

well hang on, you could take the logic to full extreme and say why don't we just wear the same onesie suit and look like we've walked off a star trek set.

My point is they are a sartorial step too far (i think, but not sure, which is why I'm asking..)

MisterFu

Reaction score
This really is the most asinine thread I've seen in a long while.

If you don't like linked cuffs (newsflash: not all linked cuffs are french cuffs), then don't wear them as that is your prerogative and nobody will think more or less of you because of it. I personally prefer wearing some variation of a linked cuff, be it a single cuff or a double (french) cuff. You can dress them up or down to suit the occasion, using simple knots or button links (that look like, wouldn't you know it, buttons) or go for a more formal look with a more ornate link.

Now, if you are into the minimalist aesthetic, by all means, wear a simple barrel cuff, though I'd argue you can get the same minimalist look with a more refined cuff line by just wearing a basic single linked cuff with simple button links (a look I wear with linen suits and jackets during the summer).

That said, to disparage one of a half dozen popular styles of shirt cuff as not "fitting in" with current fashions and basing your rationalizations on the stylistic preferences of someone else is beyond ridiculous.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This really is the most asinine thread I've seen in a long while.

If you don't like linked cuffs (newsflash: not all linked cuffs are french cuffs), then don't wear them as that is your prerogative and nobody will think more or less of you because of it. I personally prefer wearing some variation of a linked cuff, be it a single cuff or a double (french) cuff. You can dress them up or down to suit the occasion, using simple knots or button links (that look like, wouldn't you know it, buttons) or go for a more formal look with a more ornate link.

Now, if you are into the minimalist aesthetic, by all means, wear a simple barrel cuff, though I'd argue you can get the same minimalist look with a more refined cuff line by just wearing a basic single linked cuff with simple button links (a look I wear with linen suits and jackets during the summer).

That said, to disparage one of a half dozen popular styles of shirt cuff as not "fitting in" with current fashions and basing your rationalizations on the stylistic preferences of someone else is beyond ridiculous.

The guys asked for "thoughts." We gave our thoughts. You come in, with super high-and-mighty tone, and say "your thoughts are dumb, mine are better." OK champ... :facepalm:

ginot

Reaction score
The guys asked for "thoughts." We gave our thoughts. You come in, with super high-and-mighty tone, and say "your thoughts are dumb, mine are better." OK champ...
facepalm.gif

yup, I'm still learning so just wanted some direction. Interestingly his comments were otherwise very helpful. Ie it's not so black and white, and with some effort you can still get a similar look with links. Could be worth looking into

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yup, I'm still learning so just wanted some direction.  Interestingly his comments were otherwise very helpful.  Ie it's not so black and white, and with some effort you can still get a similar look with links.  Could be worth looking into

In which case continue to wear cuff links exclusively. I really do not know where in the British Isle you might be going to see lots of people not wearing them. Simply because one deluded CEO does not certainly does not imply that he has a monopoly on right thinking - I would say he has a lack of pride in his appearance.

Whilst clothes do not mean an ideal interview candidate, I would certainly mark someone who does not wear4 links as having a lack of pride in his appearance - at whatever level.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads