• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CT modified shirts to fix collar shrinkage problem?

bjornb17

Reaction score
I have seen a lot of people on here talk about how their CT shirt collars have shrunk after washing and drying a few times, about half an inch or so. The CT wash instructions have always said to hang dry and not to use a drier, but most people used a drier anyway and eventually they had a shirt that was too small in the neck.

Well, I received a batch of new CT shirts yesterday, and they now proudly advertise that you can tumble dry them. Trying them on, the shirts themselves fit the same, but the collars fit like they are about half a size bigger than what I'm used to on these shirts, presumeably to allow for shrinkage.

Just thought I'd point that out, seems that they took everyone's complaint into consideration!

They also now offer button cuffs on all their cutaway collar shirts which I'm thrilled about. Wearing one today and it looks stellar.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
I have seen a lot of people on here talk about how their CT shirt collars have shrunk after washing and drying a few times, about half an inch or so. The CT wash instructions have always said to hang dry and not to use a drier, but most people used a drier anyway and eventually they had a shirt that was too small in the neck.

Well, I received a batch of new CT shirts yesterday, and they now proudly advertise that you can tumble dry them. Trying them on, the shirts themselves fit the same, but the collars fit like they are about half a size bigger than what I'm used to on these shirts, presumeably to allow for shrinkage.

Just thought I'd point that out, seems that they took everyone's complaint into consideration!

They also now offer button cuffs on all their cutaway collar shirts which I'm thrilled about. Wearing one today and it looks stellar.

Now if they offered smoother more durable poplin, mop buttons, split yokes cut on the bias, higher collars, and french seams they will be really something.

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
Now if the offered smoother more durable poplin, mop buttons, split yokes cut on the bias, higher collars, and french seams they will be really something.

MOP buttons would be nice, but my biggest complaint is the pattern matching from yoke to sleeve, which has been hit or miss on the striped shirts I have. It looks fantastic when it's done right. Considering what $50 buys you at brooks brothers (nothing) or any department store, CT is the best of the bunch. They are better than the RL Polo Regent shirts I've bought for $50.

zarathustra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they soften the interlining? My thought is that the shrinkage is due to the interlining in the collar.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
MOP buttons would be nice, but my biggest complaint is the pattern matching from yoke to sleeve, which has been hit or miss on the striped shirts I have. It looks fantastic when it's done right. Considering what $50 buys you at brooks brothers (nothing) or any department store, CT is the best of the bunch. They are better than the RL Polo Regent shirts I've bought for $50.

I don't know, I think the cotton used for RL and BB is much softer than CT. I haven't worn any of these in years, but when I did, I much prefered the RL and BB cotton. CT cotton shirts looked ragged really fast and felt kind of rough.

Originally Posted by zarathustra
Did they soften the interlining? My thought is that the shrinkage is due to the interlining in the collar.

No, it is due to the cotton. They might be pre-shrinking their cotton, or using different fabric all together. Most interlining is Polyester, or a poly blend so that it shrinks less than the cotton itself.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics