• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones - Suede OR Dark Brown Leather

AFP92

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm fairly new to the forum and have only just started to develop an interest/passion for higher end good year welted shoes.
My first pair is a Loake 1880 Gladstone in Black and I am now looking to expand my collection.

I'm just after a little advice from you guys on SF on which pair my next one should be, mainly Crockett and Jones. The next pair I'd like to buy is to wear with mainly chinos in cream, navy and burgundy.
However, I'm stuck as to whether I should go with suede or leather. Sadly, being a student I am unable to purchase both at the same time :(

The pairs that I am interested in are:

Suede
  • C&J Belgrave in Polo Suede
Leather
  • C&J Belgrave in Chestnut Antique Calf
  • C&J Audley in Dark Brown Antique Calf

My eyes were caught on this one particular picture on the facebook page of C&J and they were a special order made for Prince Charles. They are the Belgraves in Dark Brown Antique Calf. (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...3952370.-2207520000.1363704250&type=3&theater)
However, at a price of £583.31 (excl VAT) plus £45 for postage, I don't think this would be an option for a while.

Anyways, can you guys please guide me on which I should buy first?

Many Thanks :)

bertie

Reaction score
For the record, there is a comprehensive C&J thread here with lots of C&J enthusiasts posting and willing to help. I'll also give the usual advice to younger folks which is to ask yourself whether you want to spend that much on one pair of shoes.

With those prelimaries out of the way - I have both Belgrave in suede and Audley in dark brown. The Audley is a captoe and hence more formal. The Belgrave is a wonderful shoe but still fairly dressy as it has brouging in the captoe - you can wear it with suits. I honestly think you should get something more casual and less expensive.

AFP92

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I'll be sure to post in the other thread next time for opinions.

Although Im young, what I've realised is that there is no point on spending $100-200 on a pair of shoes that would last 6-12 months and then having to replace them. I'd much rather spend my money on an expensive pair that looks great, and is made with quality.

Just wondering, would you say the Belgrave in Polo Suede goes well with navy and burgundy chinos?

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would advise you to take your time and make sure your making your money count. Start with the basics and make sure your covered. Don't limit yourself to one brand but make sure they are quality brands with a good value for your money. Crocket and Jones in my mind is a good value but there are others as well. Make sure you budget shoe care supplies such as the recomended cleaner\conditioner, brushes, cream, wax, and shoe trees. Make your investment count and do your research well in advance of any purchase.

Suede in my opinion wouldn't be a good second shoe.

Checkout threads like the follwoing:

Streamlined Shoe Wardrobe

Last edited:

AFP92

Reaction score
I would advise you to take your time and make sure your making your money count. Start with the basics and make sure your covered. Don't limit yourself to one brand but make sure they are quality brands with a good value for your money. Crocket and Jones in my mind is a good value but there are others as well. Make sure you budget shoe care supplies such as the recomended cleaner\conditioner, brushes, cream, wax, and shoe trees. Make your investment count and do your research well in advance of any purchase.

Suede in my opinion wouldn't be a good second shoe.

Thanks for that :)

I've done quite a bit of research into this and have actually already invested in all the shoe care products that I need. I went with a collection of Saphir products.

Ill have a read of the link you sent me. Cheers

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would advise you to take your time and make sure your making your money count. Start with the basics and make sure your covered. Don't limit yourself to one brand but make sure they are quality brands with a good value for your money. Crocket and Jones in my mind is a good value but there are others as well. Make sure you budget shoe care supplies such as the recomended cleaner\conditioner, brushes, cream, wax, and shoe trees. Make your investment count and do your research well in advance of any purchase.

Suede in my opinion wouldn't be a good second shoe.

Good general advice, but it doesn't really address his question.

If you're going to wear with Chinos, I would definitely get suede. Considering emailing all the UK stores asking if they have any factory seconds in your size.

bertie

Reaction score

Thanks for your reply. I'll be sure to post in the other thread next time for opinions. Although Im young, what I've realised is that there is no point on spending $100-200 on a pair of shoes that would last 6-12 months and then having to replace them. I'd much rather spend my money on an expensive pair that looks great, and is made with quality. Just wondering, would you say the Belgrave in Polo Suede goes well with navy and burgundy chinos?
Polo suede is relatively light. This is somewhat counterbalanced by the rough texture but still too light for navy/burgundy chinos. I honestly think it is too dressy for chinos on a regular basis. Look around for a PTB style. If you insist on suede (and I agree it is not a great 2nd shoe) try and find something like:
Also - while C&J are a world class shoemaker - if you wear the shoes daily you will wear them out as quickly as any other pair of shoes. The shoes you list all have single, leather soles which are less durable than rubber-type soles. Don't think there is a direct correlation between quality and durability. I presume you are in the UK as you are not referencing typical mid-market US shoes. You have a wealth of choices at a price point lower the C&J. Loake, Trickers, Churches, Grenson and AF all make good solid shoes.

Last edited:

AFP92

Reaction score
Good general advice, but it doesn't really address his question.

If you're going to wear with Chinos, I would definitely get suede. Considering emailing all the UK stores asking if they have any factory seconds in your size.
My only concern with the polo suede is whether it would suit navy/burgundy chinos. I'm thinking it may be a bit too light and stand out too much. Although I really love that colour.

As for seconds, I'm prepared to pay for a perfect pair at retail price. As you may remember, I'm still keen on those Dark Brown Belgraves as discussed in our PM's but I'm doubtful about finding 4 other people that would be interested.

AFP92

Reaction score
Polo suede is relatively light. This is somewhat counterbalanced by the rough texture but still too light for navy/burgundy chinos. I honestly think it is too dressy for chinos on a regular basis. Look around for a PTB style. If you insist on suede (and I agree it is not a great 2nd shoe) try and find something like:

Also - while C&J are a world class shoemaker - if you wear the shoes daily you will wear them out as quickly as any other pair of shoes. The shoes you list all have single, leather soles which are less durable than rubber-type soles. Don't think there is a direct correlation between quality and durability.

I presume you are in the UK as you are not referencing typical mid-market US shoes. You have a wealth of choices at a price point lower the C&J. Loake, Trickers, Churches, Grenson and AF all make good solid shoes.
I won't actually be wearing those shoes daily as I do have other shoes and am building up my collection so I will have multiple pairs to rotate around.

I'm actually in Australia which is why any opinion from SF really helps. If I had a choice, I'd love to be able to walk into a store to try them on in person.

I do agree with you however that the polo suede is really light and wont suit the navy/burgandy chinos. But the combination of the styling of the Belgraves and Polo Suede is amazing. Which is why I also thought of getting the Chestnut Belgraves first as that would probably suit those chinos more. In terms of how I dress, I'm generally a bit more dressy than usual.

AFP92

Reaction score
Oh and just another thing, as much as I'd like to look into other brands too, I can't. Purely because I cannot try them on for sizing given my location.
However, I'm currently sticking to Loake and C&J because I have been able to try them on from a recent holiday over to Melbourne and Sydney and now know my sizing with those brands (depending on the last of course)

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My only concern with the polo suede is whether it would suit navy/burgundy chinos. I'm thinking it may be a bit too light and stand out too much. Although I really love that colour.

As for seconds, I'm prepared to pay for a perfect pair at retail price. As you may remember, I'm still keen on those Dark Brown Belgraves as discussed in our PM's but I'm doubtful about finding 4 other people that would be interested.

I wore a pair of polo suede Belgraves today with a pair of navy cotton chino trousers, white shirt, blue knit tie and light blue cotton blazer. I think that the Belgraves look great with a pair of navy trousers - it's a pretty similar shade/brightness to chestnut.

AFP92

Reaction score

I wore a pair of polo suede Belgraves today with a pair of navy cotton chino trousers, white shirt, blue knit tie and light blue cotton blazer. I think that the Belgraves look great with a pair of navy trousers - it's a pretty similar shade/brightness to chestnut.

That's cool. The suede belgraves was what I wanted from the start but have been told that it shouldn't be my first pairs. May I ask if you have any pictures of your outfit just so I can see what it looks like?.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's cool. The suede belgraves was what I wanted from the start but have been told that it shouldn't be my first pairs. May I ask if you have any pictures of your outfit just so I can see what it looks like?.

I just had a look through my photos and can't find any with the Belgraves, unfortunately. I might look at taking some in the future.

I quite happily wear them with navy trousers and mid-grey trousers without any concerns as to colour - they're certainly not too bright but the suede does make them a bit more casual. Therefore, if you're just starting to build up a collection of shoes for business wear, then you should get a pair of calf-leather shoes first.

I've got some Audleys in dark brown (from memory) and black, and some Drummonds in beechnut, and the brown Audleys, in particular, get a lot of wear as they look good with so many different outfits.

AFP92

Reaction score

I just had a look through my photos and can't find any with the Belgraves, unfortunately. I might look at taking some in the future.

I quite happily wear them with navy trousers and mid-grey trousers without any concerns as to colour - they're certainly not too bright but the suede does make them a bit more casual. Therefore, if you're just starting to build up a collection of shoes for business wear, then you should get a pair of calf-leather shoes first.

I've got some Audleys in dark brown (from memory) and black, and some Drummonds in beechnut, and the brown Audleys, in particular, get a lot of wear as they look good with so many different outfits.

I actually placed an order last week on a pair of C&J Audley in dark brown. It's gonna take another 4 weeks to make. I'm pretty excited :)

Next pair would probably be a pair of double monks from C&J, EG or John Lobb. And then probably the suede belgraves later on.
Thanks all for your advice :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics