• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

Marmite89

Reaction score
Just arrived with me today. Single MTO.
Islay in Black Shell on Ridgeway. Black eyelets and speed-hooks with a half bellows tongue.

9040D138-53C1-4298-81C0-BD847CA04730.jpeg

7AE156E3-6F2B-4FC4-BEA4-A99FF0C207CB.jpeg

A67181C1-25FC-40C8-9F31-FB7FF3B06DA6.jpeg

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
A few questions for the regulars:

1. What is the normal process for proposing a GMTO on here?

2. Do makeups with non shell uppers fare well or are exotics what really does it for people?

3. Are US based people still able to order from a UK retail location and have the items shipped stateside?

4. If question 3 is a yes, who would be a good current contact to place an order? I ordered from Yukiko at the Burlington Arcade location when I bought Skyes back in 2013, but that was a really long time ago.

Thank you!

Coolhand0302

Reaction score

2. Do makeups with non shell uppers fare well or are exotics what really does it for people?

3. Are US based people still able to order from a UK retail location and have the items shipped stateside?

4. If question 3 is a yes, who would be a good current contact to place an order? I ordered from Yukiko at the Burlington Arcade location when I bought Skyes back in 2013, but that was a really long time ago.

Thank you!
1. Just throw your vision out here for an interest check, and see what kind of feedback you get; I’ve seen both very basic proposals of a leather and shoe type / model (“anyone else interested in a Natural CXL Islay?”), where the interested parties co-develop the details; or a fully mocked spec of a boot that you like (it is your idea and initiative, after all), and see how many are intrigued by the concept and modify the details based on consensus. Personally, I feel the latter works best, as people can better envision the finished product and you find out rather quickly whether what you actually want is also desired by others, but YMMV. Mock up pics are always helpful, too…

2. Both have been successful, but I think the most common GMTOs makeups tend to be:
1) Cordovan [C&J stocks Black, Dark Brown, Burgundy, Whiskey, Green, and Navy]; and
2) previous stockist collaborations that are no longer available [i.e., people have seen them before, but can’t get them anymore]
You can peruse the SF C&J GMTO spreadsheet to see what has been completed in the past (and what is still languishing without the minimum number of participants) here

3. Oh, man - that’s the sweetest plum! Short answer: yes, and yes - and it’s VAT-free if being shipped to a non-UK location. It’s about £20 for shipping via DHL IIRC, although U.S.-based customers will get charged duty on goods valued over $800.

4. You can order through a variety of C&J representatives (I’ve ordered via reps from Retails Services, 92 Jermyn St, and 69 Jermyn St) - they’ll all have to get an estimate from the factory for leather availability and build time, and authorization from company MD Jonathan Jones to provide you with a price and minimum participant threshold to reduce/remove MTO fees.
But if you’ve got an idea for a MTO/GMTO, I highly recommend you drop Ms. Alex Vigouroux from 69 Jermyn St a line at [email protected] - she’ll take great care of you!

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
1. Just throw your vision out here for an interest check, and see what kind of feedback you get; I’ve seen both very basic proposals of a leather and shoe type / model (“anyone else interested in a Natural CXL Islay?”), where the interested parties co-develop the details; or a fully mocked spec of a boot that you like (it is your idea and initiative, after all), and see how many are intrigued by the concept and modify the details based on consensus. Personally, I feel the latter works best, as people can better envision the finished product and you find out rather quickly whether what you actually want is also desired by others, but YMMV. Mock up pics are always helpful, too…

2. Both have been successful, but I think the most common GMTOs makeups tend to be:
1) Cordovan [C&J stocks Black, Dark Brown, Burgundy, Whiskey, Green, and Navy]; and
2) previous stockist collaborations that are no longer available [i.e., people have seen them before, but can’t get them anymore]
You can peruse the SF C&J GMTO spreadsheet to see what has been completed in the past (and what is still languishing without the minimum number of participants) here

3. Oh, man - that’s the sweetest plum! Short answer: yes, and yes - and it’s VAT-free if being shipped to a non-UK location. It’s about £20 for shipping via DHL IIRC, although U.S.-based customers will get charged duty on goods valued over $800.

4. You can order through a variety of C&J representatives (I’ve ordered via reps from Retails Services, 92 Jermyn St, and 69 Jermyn St) - they’ll all have to get an estimate from the factory for leather availability and build time, and authorization from company MD Jonathan Jones to provide you with a price and minimum participant threshold to reduce/remove MTO fees.
But if you’ve got an idea for a MTO/GMTO, I highly recommend you drop Ms. Alex Vigouroux from 69 Jermyn St a line at [email protected] - she’ll take great care of you!
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply! 🙌🏼 I'll work on dialing in a couple concepts I've been thinking about.

Also, I think Natty CXL Islays would be killer!

Style989

Reaction score

Thank you!
Just to add to @Coolhand0302's excellent and detailed response non shell does well too but boots in particular do really well if you look at some of the recent GMTOs. I've also had a similar result with my proposal for a wingtip Adelaide not getting traction but rough out Islay gaining strong support

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow, thank you so much for your detailed reply! 🙌🏼 I'll work on dialing in a couple concepts I've been thinking about.

Also, I think Natty CXL Islays would be killer!
A natty cxl Islay, that would be hard to pass up.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
I hope it's not considered a bombardment of too many MTO ideas, but I threw a few separate options together with the intent to add whichever had actual interest to the official GMTO spreadsheet.

First is a Skye boot in Tan Scotch Grain. Skomakaren did this makeup some years ago and I love it. Burnished Tan would also look great. I've had a lot of regrets after letting my burnished chestnut Skyes go a few years ago. I think tan would be a more versatile color than the chestnut was and would get more wear.
2023 Skye in Tan Scotch Grain.png

I'm proposing the 378 last for the MTO. Its described as an update to the 335 with a sculpted heel cup.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I hope it's not considered a bombardment of too many MTO ideas, but I threw a few separate options together with the intent to add whichever had actual interest to the official GMTO spreadsheet.

First is a Skye boot in Tan Scotch Grain. Skomakaren did this makeup some years ago and I love it. Burnished Tan would also look great. I've had a lot of regrets after letting my burnished chestnut Skyes go a few years ago. I think tan would be a more versatile color than the chestnut was and would get more wear.
View attachment 1930117

I'm proposing the 378 last for the MTO. Its described as an update to the 335 with a sculpted heel cup.

Nice proposal. I would sign up to this. For those (like me) who've never done a MTO or GMTO via this platform. Can you tell me how i would go about it? Thanks.

theundeadkennedy

Reaction score
Second is a Cottesmore in Khaki Suede. I asked Ms. Alex Vigouroux from 69 Jermyn St if these could be done on the 140 handgrade last and she is waiting to hear back from the factory. If not, the 341 would also work for me. The sizing is supposed to be the same between the 2, but the 140 sounds like an excellent fit to me.

Pictures include dark brown suede Cottesmores for reference and a picture which shows Khaki Suede.
2023 Cottesmore in Khaki Suede.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads