• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crockett & Jones MTO Central

loxo

Reaction score
FWIW, I've worn a pair of shell cordovan Rancourt boots out in some really ****** weather (New York in winter) and always managed to work out any damage, even water marks like the ones above. That being said, it does take a fair amount shoe care product and elbow grease to get them looking pretty again. All shell cordovan changes color with age and wear.
My Rancourt boots are color 8 and actually look better after getting beat to **** than they did new. It is likely harder with lighter color shells which darkens with abrasion and age. Most people like whiskey to look..well..whiskey.. and not mid-brown which is what lighter color shells age towards. So pairs of whiskey shell tend to get babied more to keep them lighter.
I was in on the C&J whiskey Skye 2's GMTO and I'll likely not wear those in wet weather because they have a leather sole and I value my life when crossing over frozen pavement. However, I don't baby my shell cordovan shoes like a lot of SFers advise and mine are fine. Shell is really far more forgiving than people give it credit for and with the right care afterwards you shouldn't fear getting stuck in the rain.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You need some rad Olive-ish Trousers. Whiskey looks great (to me) with that pairing.

-Mike

Totally. Olive/green looks great with whiskey. Actually, olive chinos/trousers are so versatile. Not intuitive, but they are.

neelp3

Reaction score
I totally am on board with my shell boots! Esp being in NYC, I had to stop caring after a while, because the grime of the streets was inevitable.

Also, I feel more comfortable wearing shell in wet weather since I know I can bring it back to life, even if it takes some effort.

Cjwylie

Reaction score

I received my Harlech order and unfortunately they have some sort of overspray on them. Anyone have any ideas on what it is and how to remove it? kinda disappointing after several months waiting and almost $1k.

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I received my Harlech order and unfortunately they have some sort of overspray on them. Anyone have any ideas on what it is and how to remove it? kinda disappointing after several months waiting and almost $1k.

I think that "shadow" is normal for shell.

NewStart

Reaction score

Look fairly odd, however eventually it will be covered by your trouser anyway.

But for $1k, i think you have every right to demand for a better finish. I guess it is decision you have to make.

And what size are you? :D

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look fairly odd, however eventually it will be covered by your trouser anyway.

But for $1k, i think you have every right to demand for a better finish. I guess it is decision you have to make.

And what size are you? :D
:crackup:

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This will not go away with time. Lighter shells get these marks on occasion. I have some shells in Whiskey that exhibit some of this but much smaller. Personally, for a grand I'd have Lauren send you a call tag and send them back for replacement or refund. They are really wonderful people to work with so I do t think it will be any problem at all.

WiredandTired

Reaction score
Irregularity in shading and tones are one either plus or downside to shell. Shell is really a material that you can't be OCD about. I find that one needs to be not too nitpicky about small marks or discoloration in general. From a distance, one really can't notice it. Cordovan will lighten on its own as it ages and will likely not retain its evenness. There are a lot of factors that will affect variations in shade. I don't think any two of the same shoes or boots would age identically. Some like it as patina, some don't.

IMO, C&J does a great job mostly for shell, better than AE and on par with Carmina. I can't tell you for sure even if they remade the boot that it would be better or worse. The manufacturers do their best with shell, but I think a perfectly made shoe/boot from shell is less likely today with supply constraints and wait times.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Irregularity in shading and tones are one either plus or downside to shell. Shell is really a material that you can't be OCD about. I find that one needs to be not too nitpicky about small marks or discoloration in general. From a distance, one really can't notice it. Cordovan will lighten on its own as it ages and will likely not retain its evenness. There are a lot of factors that will affect variations in shade. I don't think any two of the same shoes or boots would age identically. Some like it as patina, some don't.

IMO, C&J does a great job mostly for shell, better than AE and on par with Carmina. I can't tell you for sure even if they remade the boot that it would be better or worse. The manufacturers do their best with shell, but I think a perfectly made shoe/boot from shell is less likely today with supply constraints and wait times.
There may very well be some exceptions, but for the most part I would agree with what you say about the discoloration or variations. But of course with any leather there is better quality that can be purchased. Edward Green for example tends to put out some great examples, but your going to have to pay for it. That is unless your able to find it on sale, second hand, or used.

makewayhomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Whiskey boot is something that would be sold as a Second by Alden imo. I'd be happy with it but it's clearly flawed so a discount is fair

Last edited:

Cjwylie

Reaction score
I'm familiar with some shading and irregularities but I have never seen any irregularities in straight lines and right angles. I have a couple dozen pairs of shell from half a dozen manufacturers and not one other pair has anything like this on it. I sent a note to Lauren. We will see what she says

Deusis

Reaction score
I'm familiar with some shading and irregularities but I have never seen any irregularities in straight lines and right angles. I have a couple dozen pairs of shell from half a dozen manufacturers and not one other pair has anything like this on it. I sent a note to Lauren. We will see what she says

Exactly what I was going to say. I've handled tons of natural / whiskey / saddle shells from Horween and am very familiar with their major variance in terms of finishing. You'll occasionally get darker patches but it definitely blends in more. This looks more along the lines of something went wrong in C&Js finishing process of the shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads