• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique this please... plaid + stripes ok?

DeaconBoogie

Reaction score
My fiance and I disagree on this look... Looking for a "professional" opinion...
wink.gif

what-about-12.jpg

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Based on the photographs in your photograph, could the cat cast the tie breaking vote?

- B

DeaconBoogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Based on the photographs in your photograph, could the cat cast the tie breaking vote?

- B

Well, the cat wears the same orange striped coat every day...

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^It's Bijan. I saw the exact same vest two weeks ago at the Beverly Hills store.

I was told by the salesperson that the buttons you see were specially made for the vest from the shells of native Japanese Inguchino abalones, which are quite rare as each shell yield only a couple buttons at most.

FStyles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMH(and humble)O Not a good look mate.

If you really really liked that combo, it may help your cause if you took them to the tailor to get them taken in a bit. The vest looks like it swims on you and the shirt looks baggy too.

But color and pattern wise, not pleasing on my eye. But again, I'm no authority.

DeaconBoogie

Reaction score
Originally Posted by FStyles
IMH(and humble)O Not a good look mate. If you really really liked that combo, it may help your cause if you took them to the tailor to get them taken in a bit. The vest looks like it swims on you and the shirt looks baggy too. But color and pattern wise, not pleasing on my eye. But again, I'm no authority.
I agree, they are a bit baggy -- but I am a larger gent, so I like a "loose" fit. I can't wear slim fitting shirts, even if sized correctly, because I don't have that kind of body shape. Personally, I like the look but I am not going to push it if it's glaringly bad or totally incorrect. I always enjoy purple with grey or charcoal, but I decided to try it with the glen plaid vest and it sort of clicked with me.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It kinda looks like someone used liquify on an otherwise normal photograph.

If it's a serious question, though, then I'd say get a slimmer fit for the vest. You won't look fat if you don't overdo it.

ZON_JR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Loose vest makes you look fatter.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ZON_JR
Loose vest makes you look fatter.

+1. Don't do it!

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Without trying to be mean, I have the following observations 1) Shirt looks somewhat baggy 2) Shirt is way too dark a color to be worn with that vest (shirt should be a light color than the vest as a rule of thumb) 3) That shirt is a sport shirt, not a dress shirt. If you're looking for the refined professional look, leave it in the closet. I'm sure it looks great with jeans 4) Vest is waaaayyyy too baggy I think you were aiming for something like this, right? If you slimmed down the vest and got light blue or white shirt, it would look much more professional. Plaid and stripes are not the issue here, provided they are done right.
clubroom-washed-corduroy-vest-thumb.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads