• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique My Prom Outfit

harry2quinn

Reaction score
Some great advice here... I would strongly urge in favor of a black bowtie and red buttonaire. Also make sure to post pictures, because even if your look makes sense theoretically, it's the fit and cut that'll really make you stand out, and guys here can definitely help with that.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I, for one, have never matched my date. It has never been an issue either, some actually rather liked it.

Man of Wealth and Taste

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDFM
Here is what I selected to wear:

Black, SB, Peak Lapel Jacket
White, Pique Front, turn-down collar dress shirt
black vest
crimson necktie

Even without pictures, I can tell you that pants would be advisable.

thebucksstophere

Reaction score
Agree with Lel...have never matched a date, and no one has ever had an issue. One in particular certainly didn't want me matching...heh. Compliment or not
wink.gif
?

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Usualy oyu want the tie and vest to match so I would either go with a crimson vest or a black tie but not both. Preferably which ever color goes best with your dates dress.

taikuodo

Reaction score
^^ eh?

Anyways, wheres a good place to buy a pair of dress shoes that would match a slim fitting suit? ($100 or less?).
Or more specifically, what shape / type of dress shoe?

Vintage Gent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JDFM
Black, SB, Peak Lapel Jacket
White, Pique Front, turn-down collar dress shirt
black vest
crimson necktie

What do you think?

I think you're lacking trousers. I would highly recommend--from a legal and a humanitarian perspective--wearing trousers.
wink.gif

On a more serious note, if you're dead-set on matching your date, opt for a black tie and a crimson pocket square.

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by needshoehelp
For God's sake everyone, if his date wants to match, he should match. Nobody cares what you wear. It's her night.

Correct. Do what she says. I never matched to my dates in HS, but they never asked. Make her happy for the dance and she'll probably do her best to make you happy later...

Seriously though, do what she says and just enjoy the night - worst case scenario is that you have some funny pictures of yourself to laugh at when you're a bit older.

pbc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KJT
Correct. Do what she says. I never matched to my dates in HS, but they never asked. Make her happy for the dance and she'll probably do her best to make you happy later... Seriously though, do what she says and just enjoy the night - worst case scenario is that you have some funny pictures of yourself to laugh at when you're a bit older.
I don't know where this idea that females dictate prom and wedding attire came from, but I find it exasperating. Are you taking her out or is she taking you along as she does her handbag? And why would a person content himself with the least worst pictures and date and not try for the best he can? Neither prom nor wedding is in honor of the female. You both attend for the benefit/enjoyment/celebration of both. You are not a Ken doll to be dressed up in well-intentioned but tween-princess-fashionista inspired wardrobe perceptions. No doubt she will dress like a woman and you and she will be proud to have you dress like a man. The attitude of "no one cares what the man wears" causes these abominations against which we so vigorously fight. If left unchecked it leads to transgressions throughout life, like, oh, wearing a black shiny-lapel business suit with a white tie to your Presidential Inauguration Ball. On this forum we educate directly; away from the computer we educate by example. The reason JDFM posted his question is because he does care and wants input to help him look his best. Well done. Your outfit sounds very good so far but for the necktie. My contribution: - Make sure it fits well. Let your jacket show some shirt cuff and the trousers should have a slight break. Please, no trouser puddles. - A dinner jacket means a black bow tie only. No discussion. - Vest or cummerbund is mandatory and is also black. Please check the vest and discard it if it is one of those poly-satin travesties that buttons from your clavicle to your groin. Low-cut three button only. You can use a black cummerbund if appropriate vest is not available, or skip both and use a double-breasted dinner jacket. - If you want to match the dress you may do so elegantly with a boutonniere OR a pocket square. Doing both would seem a bit much. Extra credit: - Wear an appropriate boutonniere, which is a single flower trimmed to a 2-inch stem and inserted into the lapel buttonhole. (Have the rental place add a boutonniere loop thread on the back of the lapel if not already there.) No flower garden art/craft displays on the lapel. Whether or not you decide to have the flower match the dress, let her pick it from a selection of correct flowers as ladies are wont to provide boutonnieres for prom. - It is of course up to you and your date, but I am not a fan of the woman having to wear a flower bouquet (corsage) on her dress or arm during a dance. They get in the way all night and can stain her dress (or even draw blood), just as a pinned boutonniere can stain your lapel. Bring her a beautiful bouquet when you pick her up and she can enjoy it in a vase for the next week or two. (Depending on the flower shop, the price may not be much different, maybe even less.) Please see www.blacktieguide.com for correct black tie appointments including correct boutonniere flowers. If you stick to the classics and give your date a simple explanation that 1) this is correct classic black tie attire and 2) it helps her to stand out, I'm willing to bet she'd be impressed with your knowledge and effort. pbc

KJT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pbc
I don't know where this idea that females dictate prom and wedding attire came from, but I find it exasperating. Are you taking her out or is she taking you along as she does her handbag? And why would a person content himself with the least worst pictures and date and not try for the best he can? Neither prom nor wedding is in honor of the female. You both attend for the benefit/enjoyment/celebration of both. You are not a Ken doll to be dressed up in well-intentioned but tween-princess-fashionista inspired wardrobe perceptions. No doubt she will dress like a woman and you and she will be proud to have you dress like a man. The attitude of "no one cares what the man wears" causes these abominations against which we so vigorously fight. If left unchecked it leads to transgressions throughout life, like, oh, wearing a black shiny-lapel business suit with a white tie to your Presidential Inauguration Ball. On this forum we educate directly; away from the computer we educate by example. The reason JDFM posted his question is because he does care and wants input to help him look his best. Well done. Your outfit sounds very good so far but for the necktie. My contribution: - Make sure it fits well. Let your jacket show some shirt cuff and the trousers should have a slight break. Please, no trouser puddles. - A dinner jacket means a black bow tie only. No discussion. - Vest or cummerbund is mandatory and is also black. Please check the vest and discard it if it is one of those poly-satin travesties that buttons from your clavicle to your groin. Low-cut three button only. You can use a black cummerbund if appropriate vest is not available, or skip both and use a double-breasted dinner jacket. - If you want to match the dress you may do so elegantly with a boutonniere OR a pocket square. Doing both would seem a bit much. Extra credit: - Wear an appropriate boutonniere, which is a single flower trimmed to a 2-inch stem and inserted into the lapel buttonhole. (Have the rental place add a boutonniere loop thread on the back of the lapel if not already there.) No flower garden art/craft displays on the lapel. Whether or not you decide to have the flower match the dress, let her pick it from a selection of correct flowers as ladies are wont to provide boutonnieres for prom. - It is of course up to you and your date, but I am not a fan of the woman having to wear a flower bouquet (corsage) on her dress or arm during a dance. They get in the way all night and can stain her dress (or even draw blood), just as a pinned boutonniere can stain your lapel. Bring her a beautiful bouquet when you pick her up and she can enjoy it in a vase for the next week or two. (Depending on the flower shop, the price may not be much different, maybe even less.) Please see www.blacktieguide.com for correct black tie appointments including correct boutonniere flowers. If you stick to the classics and give your date a simple explanation that 1) this is correct classic black tie attire and 2) it helps her to stand out, I'm willing to bet she'd be impressed with your knowledge and effort. pbc
I guess it's simply a matter of picking your battles with the woman in your life and doing something simply to make her happy. It's a prom, not a black tie affair in Manhattan to raise money for the Guggenheim. Who gives a rat's ass what color his tie is? He can still dress in clothes that fit properly and will look better than 99% of his classmates. Is it really worth putting out your date over the color of your tie b/c it's against "the rules"?

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matching is tacky, period. Ignore what the date says, but tell her in advance: she'll probably like your decisiveness. Women tire quickly of men they can wrap around their finger. The tie should be black, anyway. Bowtie is of course classic, but a long tie would work as well, esp. with a DB jacket. A grenadine tie if you want to be edgy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads