• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Critique Doctor Who's outfit

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
four button suits with trainers ... what is there to say?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I think he dressed better as the detective in Viva Blackpool.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Needs more hand

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was going to pass this thread over, as to not seem like a complete and total geek, but there is a bit of mildly interesting clothing trivia here. If you're not interested, move along, and remember, you clicked on the Doctor Who clothing thread, so it's your own fault.

In addition to the four buttons, the costume has a half-belted action back, drawing on influences from the early 20th century. The first Doctor Who costume, back in the early '60s, was meant to look like the time-traveling character had tried to dress like your typical Englishman, only missed by a few decades. This continues that, while updating the look for modern sensibilities. The current suits are also unusual in that they're made of cotton and have flapped breast pockets.

Personally, I prefer the "English eccentric in space" costume:

_44559652_tom_baker270.jpg

That one was inspired, in part, by a painting by Toulouse-Lautrec:

ambassadeurs_aristide_bruant_2-400.jpg

This is what happens when I stay up too late ...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Baker FTW!!!!!

Geruvah

Reaction score
I've always been in a self-argument over whether I like this one or the one that Doc showed better. That scarf has quite the cult following.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I was going to pass this thread over, as to not seem like a complete and total geek, but there is a bit of mildly interesting clothing trivia here. If you're not interested, move along, and remember, you clicked on the Doctor Who clothing thread, so it's your own fault.

In addition to the four buttons, the costume has a half-belted action back, drawing on influences from the early 20th century. The first Doctor Who costume, back in the early '60s, was meant to look like the time-traveling character had tried to dress like your typical Englishman, only missed by a few decades. This continues that, while updating the look for modern sensibilities. The current suits are also unusual in that they're made of cotton and have flapped breast pockets

As a fellow geek, I noticed these details too. You know, in an odd sort of way, I think the shoes work well with these suits. First, as you say, the fabric is cotton so is more casual, but it's more that many of the other styling details (fabric pattern aside) are those of casual sports suits so the casual sports shoes are almost in keeping with them! His overcoat is pretty cool too.

Besides, Doctor Who has always had a slightly anachronistic look about his costumes. Well if you can time-travel, I figure your perspective on fashion would be somewhat different to ours!

I still think Peter Davison has the best costume though. Celery stick >>>> pocket square!
laugh.gif

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought it must be great fun to be a costume designer for the BBC. We've ended-up watching a lot of the 19thC novels made for TV (the wife is especially fond of the Jane Austen ones), and I always appreciated the sartorial details. I quite like Dr Who's look. It suits his personality and character.
laugh.gif

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
It suits his personality and character.
laugh.gif

I agree, I don't think it would be something that would be easy to successfully emulate for the average person, but it works great for the character.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads