• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Critique Doctor Who's outfit

appolyon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
four button suits with trainers ... what is there to say?

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
I think he dressed better as the detective in Viva Blackpool.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was going to pass this thread over, as to not seem like a complete and total geek, but there is a bit of mildly interesting clothing trivia here. If you're not interested, move along, and remember, you clicked on the Doctor Who clothing thread, so it's your own fault.

In addition to the four buttons, the costume has a half-belted action back, drawing on influences from the early 20th century. The first Doctor Who costume, back in the early '60s, was meant to look like the time-traveling character had tried to dress like your typical Englishman, only missed by a few decades. This continues that, while updating the look for modern sensibilities. The current suits are also unusual in that they're made of cotton and have flapped breast pockets.

Personally, I prefer the "English eccentric in space" costume:

That one was inspired, in part, by a painting by Toulouse-Lautrec:

This is what happens when I stay up too late ...

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tom Baker FTW!!!!!

Geruvah

Reaction score
I've always been in a self-argument over whether I like this one or the one that Doc showed better. That scarf has quite the cult following.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
I was going to pass this thread over, as to not seem like a complete and total geek, but there is a bit of mildly interesting clothing trivia here. If you're not interested, move along, and remember, you clicked on the Doctor Who clothing thread, so it's your own fault.

In addition to the four buttons, the costume has a half-belted action back, drawing on influences from the early 20th century. The first Doctor Who costume, back in the early '60s, was meant to look like the time-traveling character had tried to dress like your typical Englishman, only missed by a few decades. This continues that, while updating the look for modern sensibilities. The current suits are also unusual in that they're made of cotton and have flapped breast pockets

As a fellow geek, I noticed these details too. You know, in an odd sort of way, I think the shoes work well with these suits. First, as you say, the fabric is cotton so is more casual, but it's more that many of the other styling details (fabric pattern aside) are those of casual sports suits so the casual sports shoes are almost in keeping with them! His overcoat is pretty cool too.

Besides, Doctor Who has always had a slightly anachronistic look about his costumes. Well if you can time-travel, I figure your perspective on fashion would be somewhat different to ours!

I still think Peter Davison has the best costume though. Celery stick >>>> pocket square!

academe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought it must be great fun to be a costume designer for the BBC. We've ended-up watching a lot of the 19thC novels made for TV (the wife is especially fond of the Jane Austen ones), and I always appreciated the sartorial details. I quite like Dr Who's look. It suits his personality and character.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by academe
It suits his personality and character.

I agree, I don't think it would be something that would be easy to successfully emulate for the average person, but it works great for the character.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 31 3.7%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.2%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40