• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cream linen pants vs. aioli

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night a waitress introduced my cream linen/cotton pants to a plate of appetizers. The pants are 50/50 linen/cotton and now sport a variety of grease stains including one lovely smear of aioli. And of course... no dry cleaners are open on the weekend downtown.... so what can I do in the mean time? I blotted with club soda after it happened but is there something I can do while waiting?

I've seen suggestions online of putting baking soda on the grease spots... any good?

Something from the plate also hit my new tan suede bucks and my normal shoe repair guy couldn't do much with them and it now looks like they're sporting a few permanent spots. And what would you do? I took the $50 off the bill offered but I will certainly raise hell if my pants are ruined and do not make it out of the cleaning in perfect condition. The shoes were only $69 but the pants from Malo would cost much more to replace. I probably shouldn't have taken the discount and left it more open for discussion but I didn't want to make too much of a deal on a friend's birthday.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
lol8[1].gif
Hire a hitman to shoot the waitress ...

maybe the hog killing boy could be for hire...

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More seriously, the "eau de javel" is good to recover the whiteness... I don't know the name in english sorry... also there are some blue tabs that can be added in the last rinse to improve the whiteness and give a good smell...

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Soak them in equal parts original Dawn and hydrogen peroxide. That's 1:1 for all you pharmacokinetisists.

Sartorian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
More seriously, the "eau de javel" is good to recover the whiteness... I don't know the name in english sorry... also there are some blue tabs that can be added in the last rinse to improve the whiteness and give a good smell...
Eau de javel is bleach. Blue tabs are bleach. Bleach won't be good for cream-coloring, I don't think. I have no idea about Dawn/hydrogen peroxide, but if it works, report back. My own suggestions: Soak in cold or lukewarm water and put some liquid soap on it. I use Dr. Bronner's, but if you don't have any, use regular hand soap and rub it on the spots (or dish soap like mentioned above), keep them wet/damp with soap/water until you wash. It's aioli, so regular soap should work fine. I try and avoid detergents, personally. They are very harsh on all things natural--hands, hair, cotton, etc... Baking soda can help, but you have to really make sure it dissolves, but I've never actually got that to happen before. Also, don't wash in hot water, but wash in cold: this'll keep the stain from cooking in. If it doesn't come out after the first wash, wash it again. You could also try white vinegar applied to the stain: just not the same time as you're trying the soap. Just don't dry it in the dryer. Sorry about the stains, that sucks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads