• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Crate Denim

TyCooN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whodini
They have before and I saw some more for fall. Not sure who has what for spring but I can ask.
Please do.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Hamilton and Squire are basically cut the same. Only differences are the fabric (13.5oz of Hammis vs. Squire's lighter weight) and a few details (exposed selvedge coinpocket on the Hammis for example).

^ I've seen Crate James in Black. Chad also had Crate James in Reverse denim, albeit more of a dark charcoal color, as late as January; perhaps check with him first.

Regarding rise, I'd say ALL Crate models are medium rise, with the exception of the Journal, which is low rise.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The James is slimmer than the Route but does not taper. The Sallys aren't SUPER tight if you size them correctly and as they are made of the lighter-ounce denim tend to stretch out a LOT more than the selvage denim.

Hmm...if I'm looking for some good jawnz that are between the NC and NS in overall slimness, would the Sallys or James (let's assume I'd take them to the tailor to have them tapered a bit) work better. Or should I wait for, ahem, things to come?
wink.gif

Jferg4350

Reaction score
A lot has changed. Everything but the Sallys are now selvage, the buttons are now these great brass donuts, selvage belt loops were added, the pocket bags were changed, and a few more things are being changed and reinforced for the fall to further improve construction quality. Yes, reinforced...

The quality on my Hamiltons seemed fine until about 3 inches of waistband came apart. Sewing it back up was no problem though.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Hmm...if I'm looking for some good jawnz that are between the NC and NS in overall slimness, would the Sallys or James (let's assume I'd take them to the tailor to have them tapered a bit) work better. Or should I wait for, ahem, things to come?
wink.gif

How about I measure my James and Sally, size 32, tomorrow and let you figure out which would work better?
Originally Posted by Jferg4350
The quality on my Hamiltons seemed fine until about 3 inches of waistband came apart. Sewing it back up was no problem though.
That's weird... and sucks.

For the record, Chad is very good at making sure that people are satisfied with their purchase. If you guys feel like you just ended up with a problematic pair, drop him or the store a line. A number of people have in the past, myself included, and I'm sure I'm not alone in having things resolved professionally.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^God, you're so helpful these days. I just looked at context's measurements on the sally, and I'm not really digging the leg opening being wider than the knee. I'll just have to wait for Mauro's collab to see if that works for me...

theom-

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^^ Same, but with some searching I found non flaring Sally's at Blackbird's that was an older run. I'm assuming they have switched the cut a little bit. I really hoping that this run of sallys won't be flared.

michaelp123

Reaction score
I have a pair of Hamiltons, 29 they have a 10" rise. They're very nice jeans, selvedge denim.. but the rear rise (whatever you call it) is a little too high, at least in how they fit me. I also think the rear pockets are a bit too long.

givemefive

Reaction score
same

I'm not digging any of the crate fits just yet.

I'm really putting money on this collab though.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
^God, you're so helpful these days. I just looked at context's measurements on the sally, and I'm not really digging the leg opening being wider than the knee. I'll just have to wait for Mauro's collab to see if that works for me...
They're not bootcuts, they're not flarez. They are straight legs. James, too.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaelp123
I have a pair of Hamiltons, 29 they have a 10" rise. They're very nice jeans, selvedge denim.. but the rear rise (whatever you call it) is a little too high, at least in how they fit me. I also think the rear pockets are a bit too long.

Interesting. I have a pair in the exact same size and actually sized up 1/2; they're very fitted in the top block and only got really comfortable after having stretched out some. Must be different proportions, as I lift and squat a lot.

In any case, seems like you just need a slimmer cut. Hamilton is Crate's most relaxed cut (its all relative though).

Originally Posted by givemefive
same

I'm not digging any of the crate fits just yet.

I'm really putting money on this collab though.

Have you tried them on?

They're not bootcuts, they're not flarez. They are straight legs. James, too.

+1. It's not the first time Context measurements are off. IIRC, the description actually said the Sally tapers from knee down.

JGP.

Reaction score
Some of those Crate's look great in the photos but I am not sure how they would look on me. I'm almost counting on buying the collab already though, I'm sure they will be a must-have pair of jeans.

On another note, how long are the inseams on Crate denim? Will there be any upcoming changes to the inseam length?

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the inseam ahould be a 34.

Here is the real skinny.

Chad and I are partnering up ( business) so he will have a website that well offer ALL crate product on www.shopfarinellis.com

I will have him post today if I can get a hold of him.
I expect a shipment from him very very soon.
I will be carrying fashion and denim.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics