• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Could tailoring give perfect fit if i bought someh

p00d

Reaction score
just been wondering

say, that I find some items that I really like, but not in my size, say diesel jeans that are size or 2 too big width and/or length

would sending it to a tailor to get it fitted make it fit exactly to the size I want and still be as good as taking forever to find your size and at the right size?

see if this was possible, i could buy stuff off of bluefly and if its not fitted perfectly, i could send it to a tailor since I saved a bunch by buying off of bluefly.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
stay away from anything you know won't fit you, especially online. the problem is, you don't know how much fabric has been added at the seams to be let out or taken in. a tailor can only work with what's already there, and if the seams don't have that extra inch or two of fabric, you're out of luck.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a limit what even the best tailor can do with a garment. A ready-made garment is not like a length of cloth where you can cut at any point, to get whatever you want. In a garment there are always things cut into the fabric (pockets, buttonholes etc.) Those are fixed and cannot be moved. Buy garments that fit you reasonably well, if they need small alterations that can be done by a local tailor. But do not get things you know beforehand, they are not the right size. The potential cost and the chances of success are out of proportions. If you find something for $10 in a thrift shop, then you can take chances. Otherwise leave well alone.

p00d

Reaction score
thanks for the input

guess i've gotta hunt harder for my size

ah well, once i bulk up more this year, the shoulders will fit a lot better for me anyways

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamstom