• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Coughing up tiny little chunks of stuff from the throat

lilcram

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by insomb

Edit: I think they come when you're not well hydrated and smoke like a chimney, at least that's my experience.

This would make a lot of sense for me.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by darnelled
They feels much larger than they are and can cause an odd, annoying sensation whe they are stuck.

Yes, I notice this too, and trying to clear my throat with coughing and wheezing frequently fails to expel the tonsil stones - it's an awful feeling knowing they are sitting there especially given the nasty odor

goetz

Reaction score
I just wanted to say, I made the mistake of reading this thread a week or so ago, and since then I cannot get some of these images out of my head. Best of luck to all of you, I'm going to go gargle for the fiftieth time today.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by goetz
I just wanted to say, I made the mistake of reading this thread a week or so ago, and since then I cannot get some of these images out of my head. Best of luck to all of you, I'm going to go gargle for the fiftieth time today.

Ditto this is absolutely disgusting. I've never heard of this affliction until now and I can't stop thinking about it.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to get them from time to time. OP is absolutely right about the smell. Indescribably bad. I'm not sure what causes it, but for me, I suspect it was diet. I haven't really had any of those in a couple years, which coincidentally, is about as long as I've been eating at least relatively clean.

As an aside, I had to cover some politician's meet and greet in town a couple weeks ago. I had to speak with his PR guy beforehand and his breath smelled precisely like those white chunks. For those who haven't ever had this affliction, here's all you need to know: the smell is so foul that I literally had to turn to the side and pretend I was keeping an eye on something else while I spoke with this guy. I physically couldn't stand face to face with him because of the smell.

millionaire75

Reaction score
I love how you cough them up when you least expect it....I actually feel lighter when I cough up a particular big one.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I cannot believe this is being discussed... but yes, those things are absolutely rancid. They look like little brains, or the top of a goat cheese sometimes. Blech...

+1 on the non-hydrated/smoke like a chimney theory though.

And to anyone who has not had this happen to you - DO NOT repeat DO NOT attempt to squeeze these things to release the smell!!

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
And to anyone who has not had this happen to you - DO NOT repeat DO NOT attempt to squeeze these things to release the smell!!

I remember the first time I coughed one up a year or two ago and I was so horrified that I just stared at it for like 5 minutes.

But during my inspection, I of course had to squeeze and mush it up out of morbid curiosity. The smell is ... memorable.

millionaire75

Reaction score
It's one of those things where you know how bad it is but you can't help break it open and smell it anyway....it's almost fascinating how something so small can pack such a punch.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I've never had these myself but many people have described them to me, and I always find it hysterical that everyone seems compelled to smell these things... even when they know what they are.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics