• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cost of suit alternations in Toronto? Shirt cuffs too low?

chip2chip

Reaction score
I brought a suit to the local dry cleaner (King West Village Cleaner) to get some alterations done. He charges $12 to take in the waist and $38 to shorten the sleeves. Is that in line with what you guys are paying? Keep in mind this is in $CAD, so in $USD that would be $11 and $35.

He also tried to talk me out of shortening the suit sleeves. You can't see any cuff, but for some reason he thinks they're long enough. He told me that my shirt cuffs are too high on my hand and I should move the button to let the shirt cuff drop down farther. What do you think, is there something wrong with the position of my cuffs?

bluebuttondown1.jpg

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, but things may be diffrent up where you are. Usualy I pay 12-15 for the waist and about the same for sleeves maybe 3$ more but not as much of a diffrence between the two as you mentioned. Ususaly when you see that it is because it is an alteration that the tailor is not comfortable with and will charge more for the difficulty. You would hate to pay that much to have the sleeves done and not be to your satisfaction. I would shop around first before settling.
To your other question, the sleeves do look a bit long. You can tell because the sleeves are bunching up around the elbows. It sounds to me like he just dosen't like to do sleeves and told you that to avoid doing them, that is probably why is charged you so much to do the sleeves in the jacket. I would stay away from him for future reference.

Albern

Reaction score
Is your concern the length of your jacket cuffs? All I can see in the post is shirt, pants, but no jacket.

More importantly, even though these should be straight forward alterations why are you bringing this to an alterantionist at a dry cleaner? I don't know about anyone else but I think you would get a lot more value bringing this to someone who is more expert in tailoring; like an actual tailor.

You can search for thread titles with "Toronto" in it and several thread on Toronto tailors will show up; of which who are competent in alterations and who are master level tailors.

I've always suggested to people Xavier Custom Tailor who is in fact a master tailor but also does a lot of alterations. I have no affiliation with him whatsoever but he has yet to let me down when I bring stuff in.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, T-Dot here... My tailor charges $35 for suit sleeve shortening, so it's about on par.

Your shirt sleeve cuff is sitting in the right place, I jsut think the actual sleeves might be a bit too long, hence the bunching. That's where they should fall on the top of your hands, no further down.

In terms of "showing cuff", I find it also depends a bit on the fit of the jacket. For example if it's quite slim around the chest and if the arm holes are too low then the sleeves tend to pull up a bit too much as you're wearing them / moving around... So in general, if you're standing still, I actually like to have them just pretty much hit the same point as my shirt sleeves, maybe show 1/4 inch, becuase as you walking around they'll pull back further.

Bird's One View

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chip2chip
He also tried to talk me out of shortening the suit sleeves. You can't see any cuff, but for some reason he thinks they're long enough. He told me that my shirt cuffs are too high on my hand and I should move the button to let the shirt cuff drop down farther. What do you think, is there something wrong with the position of my cuffs?

I wouldn't want them any lower than that.

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your cuffs are perfect on your shirt where they are. If the suit isn't showing anything, it's too long in the sleeves. Don't worry about what your tailor says. Ask him to do the alterations, but don't go overboard.

chip2chip

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bowtielover
It sounds to me like he just dosen't like to do sleeves and told you that to avoid doing them, that is probably why is charged you so much to do the sleeves in the jacket. I would stay away from him for future reference.

Yeah, I got the impression that he was reluctant to do the sleeves. I've already given it to him to do so I'll see how it goes this time. But in the meantime I'll keep looking for a better place.

Originally Posted by Albern
I've always suggested to people Xavier Custom Tailor who is in fact a master tailor but also does a lot of alterations. I have no affiliation with him whatsoever but he has yet to let me down when I bring stuff in.

Is Xavier the one at Yonge and St. Joseph? I used to live on St. Joseph, but now I've moved down to King West and getting back there is a bit of a hike. Maybe I'll try Xavier next time though.

Originally Posted by Master-Classter
Hey, T-Dot here... My tailor charges $35 for suit sleeve shortening, so it's about on par.

Hey Master-Classter, which tailor do you use?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I go to a guy Jack, at Club 10 Tailors in Promenade mall. Closer to where I live. He's pretty much always done a good job on various tasks, not cheap, but reasonably priced.

Albern

Reaction score
chip2chip;2450879 Is Xavier the one at Yonge and St. Joseph? I used to live on St. Joseph said:
Yes that's him. He's actually on St. Mary's Street but close enough; 10 St. Mary's to be exact - north side of the street just to the west of Yonge Street.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elirobertson50