• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cost of Proper Suit

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi there, it’s been several years since I bought a suit and prices have changed a lot! My previous suit was from Sid Mashburn at about $900. Now to buy a suit costs $1,500+. What is the average cost to buy a nice fully canvassed suit? Looking for some suggestions.

St1X

Reaction score
You can get a RTW full canvased suit from a Spier & Mackay at around 500$ during sales

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
It really depends on the degree of finishing you’re after. Sure, you can spend $500-700 at Spier and Mackay and get a pretty nice fully canvassed suit - a tremendous value. But, it simply won’t have the fine degree of finishing that’s available on higher end options.

What you purchase at Sid Mashburn (if you stick with them) will almost undoubtedly be of a higher level of quality than what you’ll find at Spier and Mackay, will include the cost of tailoring, and will probably come with much better customer service. I say this as someone who is very much a fan of Spier.

Depending on fabrics, I’d say you can still get a really nice suit for $1200-1500 if you’re willing to spend that much. That being said, companies like Spier, Pini Parma, etc are offering pretty killer cost-value ratios at lower price points and the degree of finishing isn’t anything to sneeze at.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or, go online and cross your fingers.
If you purchase a suit online, make sure that the seller offers
full refund, not store credit. Worth trying for the much lower prices,

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It really depends on the degree of finishing you’re after. Sure, you can spend $500-700 at Spier and Mackay and get a pretty nice fully canvassed suit - a tremendous value. But, it simply won’t have the fine degree of finishing that’s available on higher end options.

What you purchase at Sid Mashburn (if you stick with them) will almost undoubtedly be of a higher level of quality than what you’ll find at Spier and Mackay, will include the cost of tailoring, and will probably come with much better customer service. I say this as someone who is very much a fan of Spier.

Depending on fabrics, I’d say you can still get a really nice suit for $1200-1500 if you’re willing to spend that much. That being said, companies like Spier, Pini Parma, etc are offering pretty killer cost-value ratios at lower price points and the degree of finishing isn’t anything to sneeze at.
Are Sid suits still considered higher end? I really like my first suit from them and it has held up nicely. Additionally, as you mentioned they include tailoring which is an additional benefit of at least a few hundred dollars. Thanks

GoldenBrahms

Reaction score
Are Sid suits still considered higher end? I really like my first suit from them and it has held up nicely. Additionally, as you mentioned they include tailoring which is an additional benefit of at least a few hundred dollars. Thanks

I don’t know that they were ever considered high end. Today I’d consider them mid-range.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t know that they were ever considered high end. Today I’d consider them mid-range.
Do you think they are a fair value at $1600? I noticed they have a sale now which brings them down to about $1300. Or would you go with something like Spier or Pini?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, the Mashburn sale ends today and would like to know if you guys think 1,300 for their suit is reasonable. Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics