• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe somebody on here who is good with wood can help me out. I have this old Stickly desk and whenever anything wet gets on it, this white crust appears. I can scrape it off with my nail, or if I use alcohol it will come off. It is rather annoying. The desk is from the 20s and the finish isn’t consistent across it. Does this have something to do with the finish or is it something else?

97DDCD92-AAF4-4F5A-B1F6-7CC9EC1B4B1B.jpeg

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, it is odd how blue my wall looks in this photo. IRL it has way more green in it.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe somebody on here who is good with wood can help me out. I have this old Stickly desk and whenever anything wet gets on it, this white crust appears. I can scrape it off with my nail, or if I use alcohol it will come off. It is rather annoying. The desk is from the 20s and the finish isn’t consistent across it. Does this have something to do with the finish or is it something else?

View attachment 1396737

This happens when moisture or heat gets under the finish of the wood. It's more commonly seen with heat in my experience, but it's possible with both.

If you're just placing a glass of liquid down on the desk (as it appears from the nature of the ring), then part of the desk's finish has been striped away. By using alcohol to clean the wood, you are further damaging the finish. You stuck are in a vicious cycle. The more you clean, the worse it will get in the future.

I'd invest in some coasters.

GE Rule #4: Never use alcohol as a cleaner for wood.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yeah, alcohol was the last resort as nothing else removed it. I surmised this was the issue. Thanks for your help.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's here! Always amazing to see an idea come to life. SkinnyGoomba really delivered on this one. I think the photos speak for themselves.

DSC00903_SMALL.jpg

Fit and finish are top-notch. Originally, I didn't want any bevels. I was wrong. The bevels are really, really nice.

DSC00907_SMALL.jpg

The lid is a thing of beauty. Built to last.

I was not prepared for the thickness of the box itself--about two inches at the inner wall. Truly no durability concerns here. SG is not kidding when he says he likes to overbuild.

DSC00909_SMALL.jpg

I particularly like the tapering of the braces on the underside. This is similar to what luthiers do with the structural braces in an acoustic guitar. Very nice and unexpected touch.

DSC00911_SMALL.jpg

Did I say this lid was a monster??? Think it's just under an inch thick.

DSC00913_SMALL.jpg

Quality of the yellow cedar is really great. Tightness and uniformity of grain are way better than what I've seen come from even very high-end manufacturers.

DSC00916_SMALL.jpg

Action shot!

DSC00924_SMALL.jpg

Plenty of real estate. These teacups are quite a bit larger than the bespoke Ru Yao ones I've ordered. So, ultimately, the tray will easily work for serving four people. Six with some more careful management. However, it will just be my wife and me most of the time.

Yet, it fits just right on my standard depth Vitsoe shelves!

DSC00926_SMALL.jpg

Debating on whether to soak the whole thing in tea overnight . . .

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That’s really beautiful Foo. Great work, SG! The tapered supports are a thing of beauty - were those done with a finger plane?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's here! Always amazing to see an idea come to life. SkinnyGoomba really delivered on this one. I think the photos speak for themselves.

View attachment 1396833

Fit and finish are top-notch. Originally, I didn't want any bevels. I was wrong. The bevels are really, really nice.

View attachment 1396837

The lid is a thing of beauty. Built to last.

I was not prepared for the thickness of the box itself--about two inches at the inner wall. Truly no durability concerns here. SG is not kidding when he says he likes to overbuild.

View attachment 1396834

I particularly like the tapering of the braces on the underside. This is similar to what luthiers do with the structural braces in an acoustic guitar. Very nice and unexpected touch.

View attachment 1396835

Did I say this lid was a monster??? Think it's just under an inch thick.

View attachment 1396836

Quality of the yellow cedar is really great. Tightness and uniformity of grain are way better than what I've seen come from even very high-end manufacturers.

View attachment 1396838

Action shot!

View attachment 1396839

Plenty of real estate. These teacups are quite a bit larger than the bespoke Ru Yao ones I've ordered. So, ultimately, the tray will easily work for serving four people. Six with some more careful management. However, it will just be my wife and me most of the time.

Yet, it fits just right on my standard depth Vitsoe shelves!

View attachment 1396840

Debating on whether to soak the whole thing in tea overnight . . .

Definitely don't soak that beauty overnight. #1) You never want to soak wood overnight #2) Even if you did soak it for aesthetic purposes, it would not stain evenly or take a stain well.

It's possible to keep the tray pristine if you diligently clean it after use. Now, some people say "tea stains," ONE ACCUMULATED OVER TIME, are a matter of preference. But if you wanted to be cavalier about staining, I would have suggested a rosewood tray (hides stains and patinas much better). You have ordered the ultimate OCD-man's tray. Unleash your OCD on this beauty, and after you enjoy a cup of tea, be sure to clean that beauty. DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE TOUCH IT. 99% OF NATIVE BORN WOMEN DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CLEAN PROPERLY.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely don't soak that beauty overnight. #1) You never want to soak wood overnight #2) Even if you did soak it for aesthetic purposes, it would not stain evenly or take a stain well.

It's possible to keep the tray pristine if you diligently clean it after use. Now, some people say "tea stains," ONE ACCUMULATED OVER TIME, are a matter of preference. But if you wanted to be cavalier about staining, I would have suggested a rosewood tray (hides stains and patinas much better). You have ordered the ultimate OCD-man's tray. Unleash your OCD on this beauty, and after you enjoy a cup of tea, be sure to clean that beauty. DO NOT LET YOUR WIFE TOUCH IT. 99% OF NATIVE BORN WOMEN DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CLEAN PROPERLY.

This is the same kind of cedar used for Japanese bathtubs. Should be okay being soaked in water for a while. Maybe I’ll do it for a few hours rather than overnight.

I expect the tray to patina with tea stains over time. Remember, there is no finish on this wood.

You are sort of right about women though. Persnickety, obsessive types like ourselves seem to almost always be male. Without that particular psychosis, it’s impossible to be as careful or detail-oriented.

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the same kind of cedar used for Japanese bathtubs. Should be okay being soaked in water for a while. Maybe I’ll do it for a few hours rather than overnight.

I expect the tray to patina with tea stains over time. Remember, there is no finish on this wood.

You are sort of right about women though. Persnickety, obsessive types like ourselves seem to almost always be male. Without that particular psychosis, it’s impossible to be as careful or detail-oriented.

The Japanese are wood-magicians, so however they're able to work their hinoki miracles has as much to do with the properties of the wood as their people's ingenuity. What you have is not so much miracle-wood, but wood used by miracle-wood-workers. If you let your tea tray soak for more than a couple of hours, hinoki or not, the wood will be damaged (think mold-growth and other unpleasantness). Certainly the tray will stain, but I'd fight this process with such a light colored wood. I'd baby even more than a traditional rosewood or ebony tray.

I'm very interested to see how this hinoki experiment turns out. On paper, hinoki seems ideal, but it leaves me scratching my head why I've never seen it used for a tray. Stains? Some other unthought of reason? My curiosity is piqued.

I'll leave you with this article:

"In conclusion, our study showed that touching hinoki wood with the palm calms prefrontal cortex activity and increases parasympathetic nervous activity, thereby inducing physiological relaxation..."

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
N.B. I know many people leave their tea trays in the sink overnight and it's all fine and dandy. When I speak I'm assuming golden age SF standards by default.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads