1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Cool furniture, design objects and desiderata

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by gdl203, Oct 22, 2008.

1. TheFoo

TheFoo THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You want bleach followed by white oil. That’s what we use. Rubio Monocoat is the best maker as far as I know, but not cheap.

They say you should touch up every year, but that depends on whether you wear shoes in the house and how much you like patina. We live in what is essentially a pure white cube and have not needed to do any touching up or refinishing in over three years.

2. imatlas

imatlas Stylish Dinosaur

Not everyone's essence is as pure as yours, foo.

3. TheFoo

Huh?

4. steveoffice

steveoffice Distinguished Member

how is this possible with a kid???

5. TheFoo

She's not wearing shoes either. What damage is a 3-year-old going to do to hardwood floors?

6. steveoffice

my 1.5 year old spills and draws stuff on the floor all the time. i guess it's partly bc we have a nanny so she's home a lot.

7. Mariokartfever

Mariokartfever Distinguished Member

Pretty sure I straight up took a dump on the floor more than once as a toddler

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My kids literally climb on the walls. One of them likes to extend his arms and legs in the hallways and, using opposing pressure, chimney-climb up to the ceiling and wait there to prank us. Needless to say hands and feet are not always spotless :fu:

9. conceptual 4est

conceptual 4est The Classic Gentleman is Back

[​IMG]

10. TheFoo

My wife stays at home, so our daughter is home a lot too. Most spills are no issue cleaning-up. If you let red wine sit for a few hours, maybe you'll have an issue. But if you wipe it up soon after? No problem. In the worst case, you can touch up a single board. Easier to do than refinishing the whole floor.

Our daughter is likely younger than your children, but she doesn't do any crazy physical stuff. Always been a cautious child. She also knows not to mess with "grown up" stuff.

11. gdl203

Enjoy your luck! :blush:

I didn't love taking my boy to the ER when he fractured his thumb parkouring onto our Noguchi glass table (yes, we had told him not to)

12. steveoffice

This makes me glad that I got rid of mine. That glass top is so thick and heavy.

13. otc

otc Stylish Dinosaur

As far as mishaps involving jumping on glass tables go...I'd say you lucked out on that one!

Luckily they use a thick slab

14. TheFoo

Jeezus. To be fair, that sounds like that could have happened with any piece of hard furniture.

Girls are less hyper than boys, it seems. If/when we have one of the latter, things could easily change.

15. gdl203

It's actually the slab that fell off the base and hit his hand. He was "did you know it was so heavy?". Yeah I did know