• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My gf is getting a new apartment and is torn over the options for the treatment of the oak herringbone parquet floors. She wants them to be matte and slightly whitened but is unsure if she should go for an oil treatment (where it's recommended to retreat them every year), a hard wax oil (recommended retreatment every 3-5 years) or a matte lacquer (no retreatment required).

What do you guys with experience with this kinda thing recommend?

For an example at what I believe is the desired results, there's a quickly googled pic behind the spoiler:

Decorenvy-Entrance-Swedish-Apartment-10.jpg

You want bleach followed by white oil. That’s what we use. Rubio Monocoat is the best maker as far as I know, but not cheap.

They say you should touch up every year, but that depends on whether you wear shoes in the house and how much you like patina. We live in what is essentially a pure white cube and have not needed to do any touching up or refinishing in over three years.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They say you should touch up every year, but that depends on whether you wear shoes in the house and how much you like patina. We live in what is essentially a pure white cube and have not needed to do any touching up or refinishing in over three years.

how is this possible with a kid???

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my 1.5 year old spills and draws stuff on the floor all the time. i guess it's partly bc we have a nanny so she's home a lot.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My kids literally climb on the walls. One of them likes to extend his arms and legs in the hallways and, using opposing pressure, chimney-climb up to the ceiling and wait there to prank us. Needless to say hands and feet are not always spotless :fu:

conceptual 4est

The Classic Gentleman is Back
Reaction score
My kids literally climb on the walls. One of them likes to extend his arms and legs in the hallways and, using opposing pressure, chimney-climb up to the ceiling and wait there to prank us. Needless to say hands and feet are not always spotless :fu:

splintercellchaostheory_1.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
my 1.5 year old spills and draws stuff on the floor all the time. i guess it's partly bc we have a nanny so she's home a lot.

My wife stays at home, so our daughter is home a lot too. Most spills are no issue cleaning-up. If you let red wine sit for a few hours, maybe you'll have an issue. But if you wipe it up soon after? No problem. In the worst case, you can touch up a single board. Easier to do than refinishing the whole floor.

Our daughter is likely younger than your children, but she doesn't do any crazy physical stuff. Always been a cautious child. She also knows not to mess with "grown up" stuff.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoy your luck! :blush:

I didn't love taking my boy to the ER when he fractured his thumb parkouring onto our Noguchi glass table (yes, we had told him not to)

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't love taking my boy to the ER when he fractured his thumb parkouring onto our Noguchi glass table (yes, we had told him not to)

This makes me glad that I got rid of mine. That glass top is so thick and heavy.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As far as mishaps involving jumping on glass tables go...I'd say you lucked out on that one!

Luckily they use a thick slab

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Jeezus. To be fair, that sounds like that could have happened with any piece of hard furniture.

Girls are less hyper than boys, it seems. If/when we have one of the latter, things could easily change.

gdl203

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as mishaps involving jumping on glass tables go...I'd say you lucked out on that one!

Luckily they use a thick slab
It's actually the slab that fell off the base and hit his hand. He was "did you know it was so heavy?". Yeah I did know

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads