• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mujib

Reaction score
Am I being nitpicky, or are these wrinkles in the leather unacceptable for a sofa at this price? The sofa arrived in one box and the back, seat, and arm cushions were all in plastic stuffed in the center of the sofa. Will these wrinkles eventually disappear? The floor model at the showroom certainly didn't look like this:

image.jpg

image.jpg

raggedsweater

Reaction score
Will these wrinkles eventually disappear?
I believe they will diminish as the leather settles out of box. From your description, it's been packaged for some time and has been kept from air and moisture. You should see improvement in a few days. Wouldn't be a bad idea to apply some leather conditioner now.

Mujib

Reaction score
Here are some close-ups of the rug:

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's got some of the green of the chair in it, but I realize it's too busy. It was a gift from my father-in-law, so ...

Last edited:

Mujib

Reaction score
I believe they will diminish as the leather settles out of box. From your description, it's been packaged for some time and has been kept from air and moisture. You should see improvement in a few days. Wouldn't be a bad idea to apply some leather conditioner now.

Thanks. So nothing to talk to the rep about?

Mujib

Reaction score
Pull it out from the wall about 12", and put the front legs on the carpet.

That far away from the wall? Or should I pull the rug back?

What do you think about this chair and table in an awkward corner under the stairs? Or should the chair go next to the other one (same fabric on both) and the table on the other side of the sofa?

image.jpg

Sorry folks for flooding the thread with pics; phone won't let me do thumbnails.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Here are some close-ups of the rug:

View attachment 794825

View attachment 794826

It's got some of the green of the chair in it, but I realize it's too busy. It was a gift from my father-in-law, so ...

It's a bit busy in this scenario, do you have another room that it may work in?

Yes, move the couch away from the wall regardless, an air gap at a bare minimum to a maximum of around 18" in a scenario like this. Unless you need a walk-way and truly cannot afford the space then just do a 2" air gap.

I'd move some of the Bertoia out of that room frankly, very nice pieces but all one room can be a bit much when you are otherwise working toward what would be more of a mix. I would likely keep the diamond lounge and the coffee table, then find something else for a side table. The green chair I might move to that other location to you had mentioned.

I tend to like matching side chairs, personally, and I usually put them on the same side unless you are attempting to avoid blocking a walk way.

Examples of what might work; PK side table (any of them really), Eileen Gray, Nakashima, LC, Noguchi prismatic....even Saarinen. I'd be looking to go with something massive or something with steel legs and a stone top.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hadn't thought about an air gap behind my couch...what scenarios wouldn't you do that? I have a fairly substantial piece of furniture next to it acting as an end table (actually a sewing machine cabinet) which makes me inclined to keep it against the wall.

I suspect my cat would just fall down the gap anyways...

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I try to always maintain it, I worked with an interior designer who was hard-line about that so I guess it just stuck with me. FLW planned 18" and I tend to like that where I can apply it (not always possible).

Ideally I will work around a fireplace or similar setup and just work out from center, then the outside becomes walk-ways.

I have one setup where I can't do it, so I just put a 1-2" air gap and maintain it where possible. The one where I can't is now setup so that the middle of the room is basically a free space for my son to play, then there is the sofa at one wall, opposite a walk way. I used one side chair, an eames lounge and ottoman, and put a side table between the wall and sofa.

I had the room previously setup with side chairs and coffee table (now in my study), but my boy kept banging into the table so it was time to clear the room. Oddly enough, I'm actually much happier with the space currently.

So there is one semi-example.

Almost all of the rules come from classical layout, which even in modern scenarios has not drastically changed. Most seem to still work around a classical layout.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought that was a concrete floor. Is it wall to wall? If so, lose the rug.

lefty

Mujib

Reaction score
What's the return policy?

How did you get the green out?!

I was referring to the green of the tulip chair. One of the colors in the rug is a similar green. Are you asking about the return policy because of my statement about the green or because of the wrinkles?

It's a bit busy in this scenario, do you have another room that it may work in?

Only other room is the bedroom. I'd need another rug for the living room.

I'd move some of the Bertoia out of that room frankly, very nice pieces but all one room can be a bit much when you are otherwise working toward what would be more of a mix. I would likely keep the diamond lounge and the coffee table, then find something else for a side table. The green chair I might move to that other location to you had mentioned.

There is only the bird chair and the diamond chair. Do you mean the Platner tables? I thought the green chair there would add some color to an otherwise bland setup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads