• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Butcher block normally has the end grain showing, correct?

McMaster Carr also has table tops similar to those from Ikea, but in a heavier thickness (1-3/4" or 2-1/4") in maple. They offer a wider range of sizing and IMO sell a very reliable product.

In fact I'm considering buying one as a basis for a workbench that I plan to add to from there.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, I bought one for the basis for my workbench, so if anyone is curious about how it looks before I start adding vices to it and other woodworking implements I can post a pic when I receive it.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Leasing a butchers block, that doesn't sound disgusting at all.

If you want something used find a real butchers block from a closed butcher shop or find a wholesaler that sells industrial kitchen supplies.

Sounds to me like he wants an island/cart with a hardwood top. Doesn't necessarily have to be suitable for the commercial production of meat.

FWIW, I think most of the time when people are referring to "butcher block" surfaces in a kitchen these days, they are looking at the mcmaster/ikea style laminated wood tops, not specifically the end-grain stuff. Ikea will also sell you Oak/Beech/Birch countertops in 1.5" thickness for quite cheap if you want a DIY solution but don't need the mcmaster thickness.

Thanks for the tip on the mcmaster stuff though--I know a few people who work for them, so I'll keep it in mind if I need a surface (was thinking about doing a desk with hairpin legs)...although having them order me lumber is a little different than having them bring me some hinges and bearings.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would have no hesitation on using one of the IKEA solid beech tops for a semi-serious kitchen where a real built-in butcher block is not really necessary.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
couple things: my ikea countertop is NOT end-grain. And I don't use it as a cutting board (though my wife occasionally does, when she thinks i'm not looking).

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Would you really want a true butcher block to be integral to the kitchen counter? I would think a section of it that is set into the counter and removable for cleaning would be better for real use. And of course much more easily replaceable when it's in need of replacement or refinishing.

I like the idea of a wood countertop, seems much more tool friendly than granite or marble. We have granite, because the previous owner wanted a selling point rather than a work-surface.

Last edited:

twistoffat

Reaction score
The whole idea of the butcher block or any wooden cutting surface is that the knife(or cutteíng object) scores lightly into the surface of the wood which makes for a clean cut of whatever it happens to be
that you are preparing. A hard surface does not allow for this.

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
All told I think that granite is the better option because you can sit hot things directly on it. With all wood counter tops you would need a healthy supply of trivets.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We are using trivets anyways. I really don't despise granite, but it's not my first choice. I think I would chose a mixed group of materials if working from the ground up at some point.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

What does everything think about the Sapien bookcase? Trying to find some options for low profile bookcases.

I have four of the tall ones, very practical, fit a lot of books and very stable. I fill them so as not to show the armature so it just looks like huge stacks of books. If you don't have a large quantity of bigger books (artbooks, manuals, magazines, etc.) for the base it looks sort of weird though. Keep in mind I also have built-in bookshelves, some magazines stacks elsewhere and a bunch of books in another part of my place. They look kinda weird if they're the only bookshelves you have IMHO.

Last edited:

ethanm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We are using trivets anyways. I really don't despise granite, but it's not my first choice. I think I would chose a mixed group of materials if working from the ground up at some point.

Also granite is really great for rolling out pie crusts.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i know this is a popular theory, but in my experience, not so much. we have granite in our test kitchen (with a marble inset slab), and my work counter at home is butcher block. i really don't see that much difference. butcherblock that's adequately floured works just fine. and I really don't like the cold hard look of granite (probably the only thing I'll ever be a 1%er on, I know). my home kitchen is half vintage tile (late 20s) and half butcherblock.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
when I am a baller, which only happens while I'm asleep, I have marble countertops. laminate table though.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

i know this is a popular theory, but in my experience, not so much. we have granite in our test kitchen (with a marble inset slab), and my work counter at home is butcher block. i really don't see that much difference. butcherblock that's adequately floured works just fine. and I really don't like the cold hard look of granite (probably the only thing I'll ever be a 1%er on, I know). my home kitchen is half vintage tile (late 20s) and half butcherblock.

Why must you slaughter these sacred cows with your "knowledge" and "experience"? Have you no decency, sir?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads